Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 06:59 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,490,976 times

Advertisements

Converting our personal residence in a decent middle income suburban neighborhood into a rental property at the end of this month. Installing new ceiling fans and new carpeting throughout the house and will touch up the paint a bit. Then will hire a professional cleaner and a landscaper to give it a good cleaning inside and out.

Trying to balance improvements that will bring in a higher rental price vs. the fact that the house will be a rental for at least the next decade. We will live less than ten minutes away to handle minor issues and I have a handyman on speed dial for the major stuff.

Is there anything else I should do before putting it on the market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 09:27 AM

9,885 posts, read 14,157,560 times
if you can swing it, I would DEFINATELY do LVT floors instead of carpet; it will last much longer.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
if you can swing it, I would DEFINATELY do LVT floors instead of carpet; it will last much longer.
Already have tile in the high traffic areas, just doing carpeting in the bedrooms. But LVT is something to think about in a couple of years.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:46 AM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Clean and functioning. Nothing that doesn't directly affect habitability. Zero cosmetic (eg ceiling fans).
The "upgrade" work gets done and expensed at the next turnover; after the first tenant moves out.
Start making a list of what work is/will be genuinely warranted. Show it to your CPA.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Clean and functioning. Nothing that doesn't directly affect habitability. Zero cosmetic (eg ceiling fans).
The "upgrade" work gets done and expensed at the next turnover; after the first tenant moves out.
Start making a list of what work is/will be genuinely warranted. Show it to your CPA.
Live in Arizona, so ceiling fans are a must have feature. Our current ones are non-functional in half the rooms.

But I like keeping my punch list to "clean and functioning". Plus I'm married to an accountant, so good over there.

What about painting? Have two rooms that I never got around to updating. The walls are clean, just the person who painted them before we moved in wasn't that talented with a paint brush.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:38 PM

13,135 posts, read 21,050,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Read your state's landlord tenant laws, research court case law, learn about habitability, understand your state's meaning of timeliness and speak with your family attorney about the potential pitfalls if you make a mistake.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:44 PM

743 posts, read 1,374,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
This.

Plus, most tenants prefer LVT > carpet.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:40 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
When I convert a residence into a rental I am not "upgrading" to make the unit nice. I am "upgrading" to make the unit more resistant to damage. Good and solid, not fancy and fashionable.

With that said, I do have ceiling fans in all of my rental houses and I buy a mid grade that will run quietly. However, if I bought a house that didn't have them, I wouldn't add them. Ceiling fans should have special ceiling fan electrical boxes and support and if it is is not already there it involves cutting out parts of the ceiling and turns into a big repair and expense. if there are no ceiling fans, the tenant will just have to buy their own box fans.

I am looking for sparkling clean and solid and finishes that are less easy to damage.

Carpet is a no-go for me. I use solid surface flooring and the tenants seem to prefer it and then neither the tenant nor I ever have to pay for carpet cleaning or pet damage to carpeting.

Good solid neutral color paint and use a brand that washes well. Don't use any fancy finishes that can be scratched, stained, or broken. If you provide appliances, buy a grade that isn't the cheapest, but don't buy the ones with fancy features. I recommend staying away from ice makers. In fact, if you can get away with it, don't supply a refrigerator and never supply the washer/ dryer.

Landscaping should be simple. Tenants might or might no mow lawns but they sure aren't going to weed flower beds and you do not want them to prune shrubs or trees, because they will do it wrong.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:34 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,071,772 times
I also used semi gloss paint, it’s easy to clean and you can touch it up without having to paint a whole wall due to damage, etc. I would touch up between tenants and it still looked new. LVT or tie, for flooring no carpet ever!

Old 02-20-2022, 08:07 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
In my area when you do this Your Property Taxes Double... suggest you check into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting