Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 10:23 AM

368 posts, read 213,991 times

Advertisements

I manage a small building and we have a very small unit up for rent. Having lived there, it would really only be comfortable for one person, and multiple people would most likely not be happy there even if they believe they would be initially. Additionally, we don't want multiple more vehicles on the property, excess foot traffic going in and out, etc, since the activity level is already high.

Is it legal to tell any multiple-occupant applicants - whether couples, friends, people with children, etc. - that we are only renting to one person/single occupancy? I know family status is an illegal basis, but I'd be careful not to ask any questions in that regard. If it's illegal we'd just have to prohibit multiple vehicles in the lease. This is in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 11:06 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
In my state WV 1 bedroom is no more than 3 people. Some other areas go by Square Ft Per person. So, check your local laws.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:20 AM

368 posts, read 213,991 times
That's not really my question, I'm asking if you could specify one occupant only, without making reference to family or marital status. Square footage wise, it seems that it can legally accommodate 3+ people, but it would not be practical and most likely not result in a long tenancy, and there are other reasons mentioned (cars etc) that a single occupant would be better.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:25 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclem View Post
I manage a small building and ...This is in NJ.
You need to learn just where the legal foul lines are in YOUR County.
Generally... owners of fewer than X units have a LOT more latitude vs a bigger complex.
Assuming your small set up qualifies... insisting on a SINGLE should be entirely reasonable.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:02 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It would be a very unusual apartment where you could legally limit it to one person. Generally, to not violate fair housing you will need to accept 2 persons per bedroom plus one in the living room.

Unless you maybe have a septic system that the health department has put a limit of the number of persons, which I doubt is going to apply to an apartment building..

You can definitely limit the number of cars allowed on the property, but that doesn't seem to stop large groups with many cars from trying to rent. But you can put the car limit into the lease and maybe do a parking permit and have extra cars towed.

My only suggestion is to have a stout minimum income because when you have a group of people trying to cram into a small space it will be because they can't afford anything bigger. Require a decent credit score and good landlord references. I seriously recommend the in-home inspection, because that will save you from a lot of trouble in the future and will probably weed out those claiming to be single but have property for multiple people in their existing rental, plus you can detect undeclared pets and smoking odors.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:04 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You can advertise it as a small studio and maybe that will stop families from looking and applying. But even in a studio you would probably have to accept two tenants.

Old 03-09-2022, 02:52 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclem View Post
That's not really my question, I'm asking if you could specify one occupant only, without making reference to family or marital status.
Even without stating it, you would be discriminating against married couples.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:26 PM

864 posts, read 439,953 times
Yes, it’s legal. Find out what your occupancy/zoning codes say. Most have a required amount of square ft per person.

I once had a two bedroom house with 585 sq ft total. Maximum occupancy was 3. One bedroom was big enough for 2 people the other only big enough for 1.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:21 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
If you fall within the federal FHA Act, you need to make sure you don't run afoul of family status in limiting occupancy. If not covered under FHA Act, makes dang sure your state or local jurisdiction has not adopted the FHA Act without exemptions as local law. If clear of any fair housing family status laws, you next turn to your states/local laws that address occupancy limits. That will provide the legal basis under which you can or can't set regarding occupancy restrictions.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Your question is a legal one, so you shouldn't expect random Internet Forum responders to know what applies for your specific jurisdiction, or based on their own anecdotal experiences.

Most towns / counties / states have their actual laws available on the Internet. Find them (in that order) and see if you can get answers that you know applies to your situation in your location.
This has the added benefit that if someone questions your actions, you can reply by quoting the actual statute numbers and text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting