Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2022, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 2,553 times

Advertisements

I have apply for an apt online. The property manager (not owner) has been impossible to reach even though but we finally connected through email. But I thought we should speak.

Today was the first time I spoke to the property manager (not owner).

I told them what building I wanted to live in (there is more than one) and whether upstairs or downstairs. I made is clear I was willing to wait as long as it took. I research beforehand and found out through the company that owns the property that yes you can specify what building you wish to live in and if you want to be upstairs or downstairs. So I wasn't expecting any problems.

The property manager proceeded to say "I don't allow that. You have to take whatever apartment becomes available".

I then said that I had seen on the company website just the opposite. That a person can choose the location of the building they wish to live in and even if upstairs or down stairs.

The property manager then blurts out "I can see you will be running to the owner every time something happens".

By now I was feeling intimidated by the anger as we had hardly been on the phone that long. The property manager sounded mean.

I spoke calmly and was reassuring that I will be a good tenant and won't run to the property owner every time.

To be friendly I said "I saw it on the company website, I didn't speak to the owner. Maybe you are not aware it is on the website".

To which the property manager blurts out in anger "I know very well how to do my job!". I was confused as I didn't say anything about them and their job.

At this point the property manager said "I spoke to you harshly. I am sorry. If I see you around I don't want you to think I am mad at you. And I will mark on your application you want to be in building ___, and upstairs".

I said thank you and we hung up.

My parents say I shouldn't move there with a property manager who was so mean.

I am not sure what to do. This apt complex is worth the money. I looked online at many places and this one suits my needs.

What do do?

Thank you,
Thomas Nguyen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 04:30 PM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
FYI, applicants can be rejected for having an attitude.

You don't get to order an apartment to your own specifications. Maybe you could ask to be out on a waiting list, but generally, no landlord is making a waiting list unless they know they have a unit coming vacant in the near future.

But my best suggestion is to go and find a rental where the manager isn't so mean and will let you decide what you want and will let you have whatever that is.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:34 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,544,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptdweller27 View Post
The property manager then blurts out "I can see you will be running to the owner every time something happens".

That should make you wonder how often "something happens." My guess is "something happens" pretty often and you are dealing with a lazy property manager who doesn't want to do his job and buildings with a lot of problems.

I would tell them I am not interested and request a refund on my application fee. If it is a big company, I would also file a complaint. There, now "something happened" all right: You dealt with a rude property manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
FYI, applicants can be rejected for having an attitude.

You don't get to order an apartment to your own specifications. Maybe you could ask to be out on a waiting list, but generally, no landlord is making a waiting list unless they know they have a unit coming vacant in the near future.

But my best suggestion is to go and find a rental where the manager isn't so mean and will let you decide what you want and will let you have whatever that is.

I have always been able to at least state my preferences and if they have what I want available, they tell me to apply. They should not accept an application or application fee unless they can satisfy the tenant's request. Most of the time I actually apply for a specific unit. I take a tour of the property, I look at the floor plans available, and I pick one and apply.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:51 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,141,790 times
I’m guessing that the location you chose will not become available soon enough to be practical. The guy realized he had been impatient and calmed down. But if you need an apartment soon it will be a matter of unusual good luck for the one you want to become empty. But if you don’t mind waiting a year or so just confirm to the manager that you are still interested.

Old 03-19-2022, 08:39 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
Quote:
"But I thought we should speak."
A word of advice: Don't bother with verbal assurances.
They are meaningless and useless. Text and email provide documentation.

And if a PM doesn't respond to an email or text, how do you think it's gonna be when a tenant needs a repair?

Old 03-19-2022, 04:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,926,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptdweller27 View Post
I have apply for an apt online.
That was a mistake.

You don't apply for an apartment online. You go to the apartments and look at the ones that are available.

And you don't put up a nickel until you are damned sure you are getting the one you want and it's turnkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting