Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2022, 02:51 PM

408 posts, read 290,711 times

Advertisements

I swear that I sent out the signed copy last September , and all rent checks have been paid on time
Lease term is 10/1/2021-9/30/2022, or was

The situation arose when my son qualified for a pre-school program that requires for entry a copy of our lease residential agreement to prove our address is inside the school district and we scrambled to find our lease papers.

Unfortunately we could not find our copy and then we asked landlord for a Signed copy and he determined no signed copy was in their file either , but I believe we did send our signed copy Back in September

I know for a fact I sent a signed copy. I might have accidentally disposed the duplicate copy of the agreement I was supposed to file in a safe cabinet.

Does this mean our rent contract is unenforceable and we could be evicted or otherwise see a new rent hike before the lease term
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 03:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Absent an actual written lease any litigation would be "he said she said" so yes, it's possible that you have no lease, if there was a dispute, and you could be evicted or other action with normal notice as for a month-to month lease. Will the school District accept an insurance, mobile phone or other utility bill with that address?

I'm in commercial Real Estate and we always mail two originals to the tenant for signatures, then they send back to us, we sign and send them one back.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
why dont you just ask for a new lease for the rest of the term?

Old 03-22-2022, 05:28 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Next time scan your copy or take photos with your phone and save it in a dedicated folder. You should also buy a safe for your physical copy and put other valuables/important documents such as passport, birth certificate, etc.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:05 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Landlords..........

Old 03-22-2022, 07:41 PM

1,362 posts, read 990,279 times
Next time, scan and send to HDD, x2

If the rent has been paid via check, the checks will serve to show that you and your landlord had some sort of agreement. What exactly, is up in the air, but no one can say that you have no agreement in place, and an eviction based on "no lease", and a rent hike before the end of the term is not going to happen. If the landlord were to file eviction ppwk with the court, doesn't he have to provide a copy of the lease there? What happens when he doesn't, and is asked by a judge, did freesponge sing a lease? Do you think he's going to lie and say no? Ok, stranger things have happened, but what happens when you show copies of the canceled checks?

Cant you just get your landlord to send another copy, signed?

Aren't there other ways to prove your address is inside the school district? If you didn't get a new DL, do you not have utility bills with your name and current address on them? Car reg? CC stmts? Moving company invoice?

Maybe invite the local schoolboard to dinner?

Old 03-22-2022, 08:57 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Landlords..........
Tenants!

Old 03-22-2022, 08:59 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
Unfortunately we could not find our copy and then we asked landlord for a Signed copy and he determined no signed copy was in their file either , but I believe we did send our signed copy Back in September
Since you also said you believe, it's equally possible you signed it but never actually sending it back to the landlord.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:46 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Try using a few copies of your utility bills that show your name and that address as proof of residency for the school, They should accept that since it is just about residency and not about having an actual lease.

Contact your management and make arrangements to get together to sign a new lease, since neither one of you can find your copy.

You might look a little harder for your copy. That's not the sort of thing that most people just throw away, but it might have been misfiled.

It's possible that there might be some sort of service fee for providing a duplicate lease for you, depending upon your management company's policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting