Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

This is just another of those great things I'm having to learn to live with. The trailer I am in is INFESTED with termites...or some other kind of winged ant. When I go to use the shower/bathtub...on a DAILY basis, I'm having to clean up wings, bodies, and the ants that are trying to feed on them. They appear to be primarily nocturnal...we don't see them during the day. But they're attracted to light...

The bathroom isn't the only place we find them...they're on the stove and tonight the bed was loaded with them...worse than I've ever seen!

Landlord will do--and probably CAN do--nothing about the problem. Considering moving out, but there's no way I can continue to pay rent and save enough for a deposit for a new place...with a comparable cost of living. I don't think I can go over $700 a month...and there's few alternatives in the same area. There's a place about 3 or 4 miles away, but that would entail me DRIVING to work every day instead of walking.

So, locally, my alternatives are one apartment complex and one trailer park...if the park is actually on a rental basis.

Any suggestions? Should we just wait out their "season"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
If you have termites, the LL should be told so he can do the proper thing. It's his proerty the little buggers are destroying, I would think he would the problem solved. I know if my tenent told me I had termites, I would be calling the bug guy as soon as I could. The problem will only get worse, and more expensive.
If LL doesn't care, call the local health department.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Wow...I feel your pain. I also had termites in my apartment in Miami. I would see wings...especially around the door sills and around the baseboards under vents...but nothing what you are describing. Well, nevertheless, after a heavy rain I was away one weekend and returned to my apartment where the ceiling fell down on my bed! When the maintenance man came he pointed out that the wood in the support beams under the roof (I was on the top floor) was eaten through by termites. So yeah, it isn't safe.

Unfortunately, even after they fixed my ceiling, there was no mass tenting or extermination of the little buggers. Go figure.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If you have termites, the LL should be told so he can do the proper thing. It's his proerty the little buggers are destroying, I would think he would the problem solved. I know if my tenent told me I had termites, I would be calling the bug guy as soon as I could. The problem will only get worse, and more expensive.
If LL doesn't care, call the local health department.
This is the same trailer with the black mold problem that we had to take care of ourselves.

Reporting him to the health department? Probably end up getting the whole park condemned!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 AM

203 posts, read 927,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
This is just another of those great things I'm having to learn to live with. The trailer I am in is INFESTED with termites...or some other kind of winged ant. When I go to use the shower/bathtub...on a DAILY basis, I'm having to clean up wings, bodies, and the ants that are trying to feed on them. They appear to be primarily nocturnal...we don't see them during the day. But they're attracted to light...

The bathroom isn't the only place we find them...they're on the stove and tonight the bed was loaded with them...worse than I've ever seen!

Landlord will do--and probably CAN do--nothing about the problem. Considering moving out, but there's no way I can continue to pay rent and save enough for a deposit for a new place...with a comparable cost of living. I don't think I can go over $700 a month...and there's few alternatives in the same area. There's a place about 3 or 4 miles away, but that would entail me DRIVING to work every day instead of walking.

So, locally, my alternatives are one apartment complex and one trailer park...if the park is actually on a rental basis.

Any suggestions? Should we just wait out their "season"?
Gee, i guess it's easy to say just call someone, like the health department?! but if your between a rock and a hard place.......easier said then done, eh? Other than camping out in someones backyard or staying with friends/family you know your options.

Personally i would catch as much as those su*kers as i could in a jar...........take it over to the landlords home and threaten to open it!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Landlord will do--and probably CAN do--nothing about the problem.
Sounds like they are swarming, which will end soon. It can be treated.

Have you submitted a written request to have pest service come treat for termites? That's a landlord responsibility. Not treating will subject the home to termite damage and swarming again next year.

Steve

Old 06-10-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Sounds like they are swarming, which will end soon. It can be treated.

Have you submitted a written request to have pest service come treat for termites? That's a landlord responsibility. Not treating will subject the home to termite damage and swarming again next year.

Steve
Seems to be over...crossing fingers.

Next year, I hope to be in another place. This is only the third trailer we've lived in over the past three years. Keeps moving us around the park. Tired of moving so often though...especially since we fix up the places we're in as best we can.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Such conditions materially affect health. As such, the landlord is legally obligated to take immediate corrective actions. Their failure to do so may very well make them liable for damages - including paying for your costs of relocation up to and including any costs incured such as utility hook up and additional deposits.

Also, if you have deposits with this landlord, those can be used to pay the costs of deposits for your new housing.

This website may be of some help to you:

Florida Landlord/Tenant Law Division of Consumer Services, DOACS (http://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html - broken link)

Section 83.51(2)(a), F.S. (broken link)
In addition to providing the above requirements, the landlord of a dwelling unit other than a single-family home or duplex shall, at all times of the tenancy, make reasonable provisions for:
  • Extermination of rats, mice, ants and wood destroying organisms and bed bugs.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
At my old place when the pest treatment wasnt going right...
The LL got a letter from the health dept with a 30days to comply.
He treated...If I was staying there or had to stay there I would of called again prompting a health inspection. Once your place is seen as a pest problem by a third party its an official record to seek legal grounds for termination of a lease. At least up here...Check on that where you are at.

Maybe try reviewing your cost of living to see what you can cut out to be able to afford a nice place.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 21,393 times
Is the ll responcable for furmiture damages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting