Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We just rented a single family home in [URL="//www.city-data.com/city/Rockland-New-York.html"]Rockland[/URL] Co. It turns out to have more issues than I realized. Where can I find what I can reasonably expect the landlord to do.

i HAVE A BUNCH of trees tha came down in the backyard and the summer is coming and i think the landlord should have them removed but i get o reply from them on the issue,,

The question is ,Is it his responsabilies to have the trees AND things remove please help me ,,THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 PM

19,277 posts, read 17,147,017 times
When you say came down are they interfering with anything in the back yard? Did they fall in the middle or make the yard unusable? If the answer is yes than I agree they should removed. Depending which town you live in you should visit/contact the clerks office and ask who you can speak to with regards to renters rights. Either way you should be familiar with the laws, good luck.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,185,877 times
What does your lease say? Mine says that the tenant is responsible for the gardening. If your lease says you are responsible for the gardening, then you get to remove the fallen trees.

I happen to remove large fallen branches and I prune and take out trees, but by my rental agreement, the tenant is responsible for all of that.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,525,270 times
My tenants lease has the tenant responsible for yardwork. Of course, I've long since removed all the trees. Personally, as its my property and if the trees were in the way, I'd probably have them removed. However if you're sitting on 2 acres and the fallen trees are neither in the way or an eyesore from the street and I as the landlord was short on cash that month, I might let them sit for awhile till I got around to it.

The lease says the rent is for the DWELLING only, however the tenant has the use of the grounds and outbuildings and is responsible for caring for them.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,565,794 times
I found a landlord tenant guide online for you. If you use the search feature (control F) and put in Rockland, you will get specific info on rent control in Rockland County.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/f...ights_2011.pdf

Pages 18 and 19 cover habitability responsibilities of the landlord.

I don't see that the trees and/or branches in the background affect habitability, so your landlord is probably not responsible to clean it up.

If it affects your ability to enjoy the backyard, you could try that approach. But, it's probably not grounds to sue or break the lease.

You might be able to get advice from the Rockland County Housing Action Coalition:

Rockland Housing Action Coalition, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: