Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,060,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
our lease goes to spring 2009, and we have to move by the beginning of October. we're gonna present to the LL an offer to replace the carpet and give them rent for the following 2 months, bringing our payments up to december, which is only 4 months shy of our lease end. do any of you LL's out there, or renters for that matter, think this is reasonable? it's just that we've rented here for years and have made every payment within reasonable time, but our rent has increased by 30% over the past 3 years and we can't afford it anymore. plus, we want to move out of state asap.

also they awant to sell it, and we're not buying it.

do you think 2 additional months rent + new carpet (which needed to be replaced when we moved in) should suffice? we just simply can't afford to get a new place while paying rent here at the same time.
I lived in my apartment for 12 years. The carpet was old when I moved in. After the moving van took my furniture and boxes out, when I was moving out of state, I called Stanley Steamer (carpet cleaner) and had them clean all of the carpets while I sat in my car. The carpets looked brand new (and fluffy). I then turned in my key. I got my full security returned by mail without asking and which after 12 years was a shocker. From what I understand the carpet is the big expense to replace for landlords. Just saying maybe you don't have to replace the carpet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
I think you need to be really reasonable on what you offer the landlors because if your not then he just turns you down.It could than be upto a court to determnie the matter. If he gets a judgement and files it ;it has consequences down the line with any major purchase such as a house. I would talk to the landlord and try to comeup with a agreement.

Last edited by texdav; 08-06-2009 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,106,539 times
As a landlord I would appreciate the fact that you are trying to be responsible and provide me with several months notice, and make the change as painless as possible, rather then just walking out on your lease. I would be inclined to try and work with you given that. I know that a lot of people's financial situations have changed in the last year and some cannot afford today what they could 6 months ago.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I lived in my apartment for 12 years. The carpet was old when I moved in. After the moving van took my furniture and boxes out, when I was moving out of state, I called Stanley Steamer (carpet cleaner) and had them clean all of the carpets while I sat in my car. The carpets looked brand new (and fluffy). I then turned in my key. I got my full security returned by mail without asking and which after 12 years was a shocker. From what I understand the carpet is the big expense to replace for landlords. Just saying maybe you don't have to replace the carpet.
I just moved out of a house I was renting for four years. The upstairs carpet was new (but the cheap tweedy stuff) when I moved in, but I acquired cats while I lived there (which the landlord knew about--and he's a vet so he was OK with it). There were stains, not just from the animals but from a teenager and a sick roommate and I just could not get them out. I was thinking of just replacing the carpet myself but I ran out of time. The landlord says the expected life of the carpet is 10 years, I lived there for four, so he wants 6/10's of the cost of the carpet. I thought that was fair. Just a suggestion if you can work out a similar arrangement if the carpet has to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting