Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Did you bother to check whose post I was quoting and replying to?

Yes, I did. I would have let it go at that, even though I thought you were a little full of attitude over a forum thread, but you mentioned the closing the window and that would have referred to me as I was the OP. Plus, the post you were replying to was one that was replying to me. I took their post as a joke. Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Yes, I did. I would have let it go at that, even though I thought you were a little full of attitude over a forum thread, but you mentioned the closing the window and that would have referred to me as I was the OP. Plus, the post you were replying to was one that was replying to me. I took their post as a joke. Really.
If I'm "a little full of attitude" then perhaps you're "a little too sensitive" on an anonymous forum, don't ya think, hmm?

If the smoke is entering the house, it stands to reason that there is an opening it's getting through. Close off whatever opening it is and there's the solution. Brilliant!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
If I'm "a little full of attitude" then you're "a little too sensitive" on an anonymous forum, don't ya think, hmm?

If the smoke is entering the house, it stands to reason that there is an opening. Close off whatever opening it is and there's the solution. Brilliant!

You came in with guns blazing for no real reason. I didn't think it was necessary-I said so. You obviously did-you said so. There are nicer ways to get your point across. Has nothing to do with sensitivity.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:13 AM

11 posts, read 61,173 times
Quote:
So, complain about something your neighbors are doing that they are allowed to do, and also lie about it on top of it? Look, non-smokers have pushed smokers out and away of nearly every place they used to be allowed to smoke. Cut them a break, they aren't criminals!

If you don't want the smoke coming into your house, SHUT YOUR WINDOW. It's as simple as that. They are outside, and they have a perfect right to use their outdoor space in the manner they wish as long as they're not breaking any rules of the apartments.

And no, I am not and have never been a smoker.

OMG,, yeah you are a little nasty and a bit defensive for a forum.. Just trying to help,, was a smoker,, and have compromised many times... I was one of the last 2 smokers in a group of 15 ppl that hang together all the time.. Yeah it may have been a bit of a fib,, but sometimes it may help.. sorry if that offended YOU! You should try to be a bit nicer if you are trying to offer some help..

Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Default Please Remember to Keep on Topic...

Just a reminder to keep things civil... as we almost always do here in the Renting Forum

Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Shutting the window doesnt always work anyway. And in the summer you shouldnt have to sit there with shut windows all day when its 100 degrees out.

You could just dump a bucket of ice water out your window and say you freaked and thought it was a fire...lol

Oh wouldnt that be nice...lol
fantasy of immature revenge!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 PM

Ok, so tonight I see them out there grilling at the bottom of my steps. Whatever, no biggie, but I don't know what the one guy was smoking but it looked like a flute! I saw that and no longer wonder why it is always smelling in my home-must be shooting it straight up at my patio. Ugh. Can't wait to move outta here. Too bad too, because I like the place.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Apartment living is TOUGH......absolutely no doubt about that!! It sure seems like a lot of people complain about what others do inside and outside their apartments. AND, most of these are logical complaints! Even my wife and I have complained about neighbors in the two apartment complexes that we have lived in (including the one we are currently living in). I do think that Complexes should have separate buildings for smokers, families w/kids, young and older adults. Yes, I don't have to be reminded......this is illegal and called "discrimination", but HOW ELSE can we solve these apartment complaints/problems if some tentants don't want to change their living habits??????

Old 11-09-2008, 04:23 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Why wouldn't you just go ask them nicely to stop? As a smoker I am amazed at how most people assume that just because someone smokes they are also littering and also are going to be hostile if you ask them not to! They may not realize that it is wafting to your apartment, they may not realize how noticeable it is! It may be as simple as them having a fan that blows the smoke out instead of up, or them moving a few feet over! I don't understand why people complain on message boards before they've even tried nicely to resolve the situation; people can be very understanding.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Why wouldn't you just go ask them nicely to stop? As a smoker I am amazed at how most people assume that just because someone smokes they are also littering and also are going to be hostile if you ask them not to! They may not realize that it is wafting to your apartment, they may not realize how noticeable it is! It may be as simple as them having a fan that blows the smoke out instead of up, or them moving a few feet over! I don't understand why people complain on message boards before they've even tried nicely to resolve the situation; people can be very understanding.
As I said, I don't feel that I have that right when this is not a non smoking apt. complex and they are smoking on their patio. Clearly, they are not doing anything wrong, so why should I go ask them not to do it? I am not that way.

Basically, it was a small rant and a warning to others looking to rent-be careful getting an upper if you are a n/s-you may just be sniffing their junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting