Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

I read these posts and I'm afraid to ever rent again. So many horrible landlords out there.

Does anyone love where they live? Does anyone have a nice apartment that they enjoy going home to with a reasonable landlord who cares about them and the building?

Please share your stories. I need hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:22 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I was really hoping some of my tenants would post to this one. Guess I need to do a better job. ;(

Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,819 times
I rent and love my apartment. We have a townhouse style apartment. We have a living room, kitchen and dining room downstairs and two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. We also have a full basement. I love the area I am in and love the apartment. Unless our rent goes way up, we will stay here and be happy to do so. I have never met the owners of the property as they have a rental person. I have had to call maintenance once and they came within the hour. The property is kept in good condition, it is pretty modern and updated. The grounds are kept in nice condition, mowed, leaf removal, plowing etc. Happy tenant here!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:02 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,956 times
Overall, we really love where we're renting. Our landlord has been great - he is responsive to problems, and takes really good care of the property. It helps that he lives in the house next door, so he doesn''t want the place to fall apart for asthetic reasons too. he also seems to know the value of an investment. Before we moved in here, he painted everything, and laid down new pergo floors. And he was willing to go halves on us when we wanted to upgrade appliances that were working, but not what we wanted asthetically.

We have 2 bedrooms, and 2 full baths. We have a laundry room, and an attached garage for our use. It's the entire first floor of a house. All this for a reasonable rent for the area that includes utilities.

We are just ready to buy again which is why we are leaving. But i would not hesitate to rent from this landlord again if we needed to.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 AM

153 posts, read 563,976 times
I think my landlord is a pretty good one.

This house I live in is brand new, we're the first tenants. With every new house, there are quirks and things needing to be tweeked to get it just right.

My landlord has always responded either same day or next day and has sent help. Also, I've never seen him since the day I signed the lease....just the way I like it, a landlord who keeps a distance.

The A/C and furnace wouldnt work properly...(a/c would turn on for a few seconds and then shut off....the furnace we kept smelling gas when we turned on the heat) and even though it took a few service visits to get it fixed (not his fault), it was fixed.

One morning there was a puddle in my kitchen (against a wall shared with a bathrooom) about the size of a beach towel...we cleaned it up and within like an hour, it was back again....once realizing it wasnt just a spill lol we called lanlord and he sent over help...come to find out, when they built this house, whoever was pounding in the nails, pounded a nail right into a pipe and it's been leaking the WHOLE TIME, like over a year (tiny drips) and got to the point where is couldnt take it anymore and came out between the floor and the mopboards. They had to cut a large hole in the bathroom side of the wall...repair the pipe, then a drywaller had to come repair the hole in the wall...and good as new. Also when my sprinkler system wouldnt stay on, he had the electrical box replaced the next day...

My only complaint is I dont feel he has done enough to correct the problem with my next door neighbor (also rents from this guy) and their dog and the dogs poop on my lawn ....but I think the local law enforment (hopefully) has solved that problem (had to take matters into my own hands).

But overall.... for my landlord here.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I like my landlord alot because I never see them unless I am dropping off the rent check or need something fixed. Its a big company so no one is all stressed out or apathetic. And the fix-it guys are awesome down to earth people but not the dullards that you can find in some apts I have had. They are actually certified etc. plumber and electrical guys that have been with the company for over a decade (mostof them)
My new neighbors are SO MUCH better than the old crappy trash I had before. For example last night someone was talking in the lobby on a cell phone and it was 11pm. Around 11:30 I just hissed a "shhh" out my front door because the cat kept meowing to go see the "talker"
The tenant went into the glass double doors to talk instead right away ( I could hear the closing as I am near it and it was dead silent in my apt) In the previous building I lived in this wench that would act like I was inane for being ticked because I had to listen to her crappy R&B for 5 hours coming thru my ceiling...And sometimes as lat eas 1:30 am...Totally trashy tenant. I remember seeing burnt inscence sticks all around her door and on her floor with junk food bags EVERYWHERE when I went up and pounded like a cop when it was going on a freaking 3 am....ahhh.

But that was another building with a much lower class of tenant.

My new building has grad student and I saw a professor at Pitt Uni lives here too.
SO HAPPY I have nice normal neighbors.
Not drunken sods with sanitation issues.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:39 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Does anyone love where they live? Does anyone have a nice apartment that they enjoy going home to with a reasonable landlord who cares about them and the building?
I rent and I love where I live. I'm in a complex that's about 5 years old, and I've been in the same flat for about 3.5 years. The units are well-insulated and extremely energy-efficient. ($45 for power, and as low as $35 in the winter when I'm not using the AC; $13 for water; and $13 for basic cable, that still gives me about 60 channels.) I live on the ground floor and don't get a lot of noise from my neighbors on any side or the breezeway/stairwell. The maintenance folks are quick to respond and take care of any issues I have. The complex is clean and tidy...although the TENANTS need to do better about picking up after their dogs! My location is close to the interstate, the beltway, and the mall, and only 20 minutes from my office. My unit comes with a washer and dryer. They allowed me to paint (I'll have to repaint it off-white when I move out). They allow me to live there with my 70-pound Siberian Husky, and they provide numerous doggy-poop pick-up stations all over the complex. The complex hires cops to patrol (when they're off-duty) during the wee hours of the morning. My unit doesn't have a lot of closet space, but I rent a 4x8 storage unit that's across the parking lot (40 feet from my front door) for $25 per month. We've got two swimming pools, two computer labs, two rec centers, a vollyball court, a small fenced-in dog park (not big enough for my Siberian, but probably great for the small dogs), and a playground. When I moved in in 2005 my rent for my one-bedroom, one-bathroom (800 square-feet) unit was $659. It's now $679.

I'm happy as a clam.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,386 times
I love our place. We also rent a townhouse in an apartment complex. We have 1,200 sq. ft. and a 2.5 car garage. It's a little older than I'd prefer and not as energy efficient, but none of the newer rentals have this much space around here. Our rent is outrageous compared to what we paid in another state, but it's worth it to me. We could probably only save a couple hundred by moving somewhere about 800 sq. ft. and probably no garage. We spend a lot of time at home so it's worth it to have a place that feels like home until we can buy.

The apartment is managed by a corporate company that seems to care a lot. The maintenance is awesome, and the staff is really friendly. They coordinated our move with us from out of state with the lease and utilities and everything. With the company they also let you transfer to another property without breaking your lease.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:19 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
In my experience, renting in a complex is better than renting a tiny bit of someone's house.

Every 2 family dump we've rented has had some problem because it was owned by a person who 1) lived there and didn't respect us or 2) didn't live there and was hardly around except when THEY had things to do at the place.

The last apartment we rented was in one of the few 2 family rental houses in the village and we were constantly reminded 'how scummy renters' were not wanted in that village.

We live in a complex and they have a handyman and we have some issue but overall the neighbors are nice and normal (at least they say hi) and you also don't feel like a loser because everyone else around you owns a McMansion or second vacation home while you have a small apartment.

Yes, there is a corporation who gets our money but at least we don't directly deal with some guy who is taking vacations with our rent money or coming in/hanging around at all hours because 'he owns the place.'

Old 11-18-2008, 02:40 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
I've had a few major problems with my apartment, but the manager has made it a lot less unpleasant than it could have been. Biggest thing was the fire, which displaced us all for about 4 months. Next biggest thing was when we moved back in and lived underneath new tenants with hyperactive kids who would sometimes keep me up with their horsing around all night (no exaggeration). We moved across the hall and it has been not perfect, but better. Now we have a crazy lady living on top of us who cleans her apartment every Sunday from 7 am to 12 midnight. She even vacuums the deck. She has got to be OCD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting