Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times

Advertisements

8pm period. I don't want to enjoy my quiet time listening to your crappy singing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:46 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
People should keep the noise down to avoid interfering with other peoples privacy or move else where!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Stupid kid came home 9 am from school...we think he must cut school, he is home almost once a week for a few hours a day!

Of course, he starts singing and playing very loud and my husband got up all angry and we had a huge blow out.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Why haven't you spoken to him? It must not be such a problem if you can't be the adult to go speak with him. He could be a real jerk- but how would you know? My brother played the trumpet and taught himself the guitar and while we lived in a house, he had to be reminded often about just how loud he is when he played. I know when I practice my clarinet, I really have no idea how loud I am (but play as soft as possible to overcompensate!).

To those who suggested calling the cops- wow. You call the cops after you've addressed the situation and it continues. You do not call the cops when you're too scared of a teenager to address the situation directly. The OP should call the landlord or the mother today to get it straightened out.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why haven't you spoken to him? It must not be such a problem if you can't be the adult to go speak with him. He could be a real jerk- but how would you know? My brother played the trumpet and taught himself the guitar and while we lived in a house, he had to be reminded often about just how loud he is when he played. I know when I practice my clarinet, I really have no idea how loud I am (but play as soft as possible to overcompensate!).

To those who suggested calling the cops- wow. You call the cops after you've addressed the situation and it continues. You do not call the cops when you're too scared of a teenager to address the situation directly. The OP should call the landlord or the mother today to get it straightened out.
My sentiments exactly!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 AM

253 posts, read 1,182,178 times
I had a friend who was trying to start a band (while renting an apartment) and thought it was his right to play his electric guitar and sing at all hours of the night. His downstairs neighbor started complaining in person the first time he played, and when he didn't stop started calling the police on almost a daily basis, which led to some changes. He bought a bunch of foam and tacked it to all of the walls and ceiling to try and muffle the sound (no clue if that really works, and I'm sure it caused problems when he moved out). The other, more useful thing he did was to purchase headphones that (I think) plugged into the amp. At any rate, I know the neighbor still complained about the singing, but after that didn't complain about the electric guitar.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
And oh btw...my opinion was the same of this when I was under 18...
Being way over 18 (lol) and done the band thing, we always got practice spaces especially for singing.That kid is just doing what stoned out loser do.

You can call the cops if thats what you feel comfortable doing and its actually what the cops would prefer. Its a teenager and god knows we have seen enough teenage murders in the new that we dont have to question if its safe or not. It may not be.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 PM

I couldn't call the cops on the kid. He's an okay guy. Other than his singing and guitar and smoking he's just a kid.

Like I said, I have lived with far worse, inconsiderate morons. We had one guy once who was a drunk below us. Another time we had a boyfriend of the one girl living below us 'squat' and waste the joint resources (we paid the electric or something together...must have been an illegal place...).

We have seen it all in many years of renting.

Sometimes you have to suck it up, because it could be worse.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:29 PM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I couldn't call the cops on the kid. He's an okay guy. Other than his singing and guitar and smoking he's just a kid.

Like I said, I have lived with far worse, inconsiderate morons. We had one guy once who was a drunk below us. Another time we had a boyfriend of the one girl living below us 'squat' and waste the joint resources (we paid the electric or something together...must have been an illegal place...).

We have seen it all in many years of renting.

Sometimes you have to suck it up, because it could be worse.
Then what the hell are you even bringing it up for? I say find out about city noise ordinances and call the cops every time. If it continues, let your landlord know that you'll be leaving because of this if it doesn't stop. In L.A. you're not supposed to go past a certain decibal level and you're only supposed to play anything during "reasonable" hours which I think are after 7 AM and before 10 PM but don't quote me.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Then what the hell are you even bringing it up for? I say find out about city noise ordinances and call the cops every time. If it continues, let your landlord know that you'll be leaving because of this if it doesn't stop. In L.A. you're not supposed to go past a certain decibal level and you're only supposed to play anything during "reasonable" hours which I think are after 7 AM and before 10 PM but don't quote me.
No need to be nasty here, thanks. It is annoying but I live in a small, rural area. If this is THE WORST thing my neighbor does, that's fine. I've lived in NY and had insane neighbors and really dealt with some nutjobs.

I posted to get other peoples' opinions in case maybe we were just being overly sensitive. I don't want to become a crotchety old fart

As far as calling the cops because some boy is playing his guitar, well, that's over-reacting.

We're a kinder, gentler family since moving to Vermont.

Anyhow, today our guitar hero (what we call him jokingly) was off school so he woke us all up with his singing at 8 am and has been playing on and off ever since.

I was annoyed when I originally posted but you know, life is too short. The guy isn't doing a drug party or anything.

I do think, however, I WILL mention it when it comes time to renew our lease. Maybe we can get a reduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting