Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,129 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of renting my two bedroom condo to two people who want to share an apartment together. I had planned to make one of the tenants sign the lease, be the point of contact, and be responsible for paying the full rent. I would prefer to deal with just one person, since it is one unit. They have asked me whether they can both sign the lease and pay me separately. I don't feel very comfortable with their request.

Any advice and/or experience on this would be appreciated. My condo is in Arlington Virginia.

Last edited by lmyzer; 12-19-2012 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: To further clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
My advice is to have them both sign the lease but NOT to accept separate payments. That way, if one does a nosedive, both are legally "jointly and severally" responsible for any debts/damages and generally responsible for adhering to all terms and conditions of the lease agreement. Let them sort out which one actually makes the payments - that's not for you to worry about. In a worst case scenario if you end up in court with them, you can sue one or the other or both, whichever is easier. And of course you should do basic background checks on both of them. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,519,607 times
I agree with STT. And of course, both adults should be able to show enough income to prove they could cover the rent alone should something happen with the other tenant.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:28 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
it is THEIR PROBLEM, not yours. dont make it your problem, in case one of them does not pay then you will have to go thru the trouble of tracking the other down, and it can get crazy.. no, you insist on the rules, not them. if they dont consent, then buy bye - nice knowing you!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
Both of them should be 100% responsible for all terms so if one flakes out on you, you have the other's signature on a contract. We do this with ALL ADULTS that will be living in the property. Both should have good credit and rental history. We do allow roommates to use combined income because we allow married couples to do that, and you have to

treat everyone the same--every time. No exceptions.

why are you "uncomfortable" with that?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:28 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Both sign. You don't want your primary to move out, leaving you a tenant who has not signed any rental agreement.

They each must be 100% responsible for the rent and damage. Make sure they know that they both get evicted if you don't get all the rent on time. However, once they understand that, I will accept 2 checks for the rent, as long as they arrive in the same envelope and on time.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
I can't add much to what was already said above other than, read your state's landlord/tenant laws as well. Educate yourself on being a landlord and remember, this is a business..not a charity house.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyzer View Post
I am in the process of renting my two bedroom condo to two people who want to share an
apartment together. ... Any advice and/or experience on this would be appreciated. .
1) Whatever their relationship may be now it is bound to change. Prepare yourself for that.
Each party should qualify to afford the expenses on their own so that WHEN one or the other leaves
the remaining party can afford to maintain until a replacement (that you will need to approve) is found.
100% of the expenses may be impractical... but never accept less than 75%.

2) Learn what the term "joint and several" means and apply it to your best advantage.

3) If they don't want to operate as a unit at the outset (separate checks?)...
don't expect them to remain together long on anything else either.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 10,129 times
Thanks very much for your very helpful advice. I had them both sign the lease but they preferred to pay separately through direct deposit. I requested copies of their most recent four W2s and their credit reports and was satisfied that they can each manage rent on their own if need be. Thanks again for your replies.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
^^^ This is really a very minor point but make sure that both of them receive a copy of the signed lease. All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting