Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 AM

101 posts, read 562,785 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone i need some advice. I am on a rent program .It's called the advantage program for people living in shelters. I got my apartment and I thought everything was fine but I noticed shortly afterwards that there is constant music playing in my apartment..I tried to ignore it.

The music is constantly coming from my upstairs neighbor. This woman just does not care..I hear her music in my apartment everyday.I can hear every word ,beat bass EVERYTHING. I wrote the landlord several written complaints and never got a response..I called his management office and his cellphone directly. He would say oh Im sorry Im coming over Ill talk to her and he would never show up...I called him again and the same thing...I called him AGAIN after a long night of music blasting and I was very upset. He said umm well it's her apartment I cant really do anything but ill send the super over...The super never showed up...The next day I call again and he rushed me off the phone like im a nuisance and the super showed up at around 10:00 pm . She said she spoke to her and told her to be reasonable and try not to play it late at night..I was not satisfied with that answer!THAN to make it worse the super adds "Well hun this is Brooklyn , folks like to blast thier music..This is nothing In the summer it gets worse cause folks like to sit outside get high and blast thier music..You need to get used to it" I was dumbfounded! I was like OMG I HAVE to get used to this?

I did speak to the neighbor directly..It was around 1:00 pm and my son was getting therapy services (He's 18 months and has autism) and the therapist said she is tired of hearing the music everytime she comes for a visit and may shorten his services because she cant tolerate the noise! So I went upstairs knocked nicely and asked her to turn the music down (Her teenage daughter answered ) She argued with me saying she does'nt have to turn her music down..I went back downstairs ..We finished his session ..Later that night at around 6:00 pm I hear someone banging on me door..Its the neighbor.She gets right in my face yelling and screaming about how it's her apartment and she can play her music and she said if i knock on her door again Im going to be sorry. To prove a point she blasted her music all night ...I have two kids ..ages and 18 months..They have autism so they have sensory issues the constant music playing bothers them greatly and it breaks my heart to see them cover up thier ears and cry . As a parent I tried to appeal to her and tell her my kids are being bothered by the noise and she said it's not my fault your kids have a mental disability and laughed in my face. Im at my wits end!I called 311 and 911 MULTIPLE times and they treat me as if IM a nuisance! They dont even show up! I call 311 and 8 hours later I ask for an update and they have it down as the police stopped by and didnt hear any noise...The police never showed up!!!

Because of my rental program I only pay 50 dollars a month and the woman above me pays the full amount of rent which is around 1000 a month which is why I think the landlord is basically ignoring my complaints!I feel as though she has more rights than I do! His response was well she pays rent!Excuse me I do too!Yeah it may only be 50 bucks but at the end of the day you got your money for my apartment !

I dont know what to do ...I cant just move out..I dont have the money and I need my rental program.I stay home because my kids get therapy services for hours a day . My kids deserve to get this therapy and I need to make sure that they are getting the help that they need. I read in the sub lease that there was a clause saying no loud music playing and it's being ignored. I feel like I have no rights.The woman who lives above me is violatile and she has several people living with her. If I were to confront her I would get jumped. I live in Bushwick and people out here are wild and will not hesitate to seriously hurt you.

Im very annoyed with the music myself. Im becoming depressed and slightly neurotic .Everytime I hear a noise I flinch because I know 3 or more hours of music is in store for me .....

Old 02-17-2009, 12:45 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
Hello everyone i need some advice. I am on a rent program .It's called the advantage program for people living in shelters. I got my apartment and I thought everything was fine but I noticed shortly afterwards that there is constant music playing in my apartment..I tried to ignore it.

The music is constantly coming from my upstairs neighbor. This woman just does not care..I hear her music in my apartment everyday.I can hear every word ,beat bass EVERYTHING. I wrote the landlord several written complaints and never got a response..I called his management office and his cellphone directly. He would say oh Im sorry Im coming over Ill talk to her and he would never show up...I called him again and the same thing...I called him AGAIN after a long night of music blasting and I was very upset. He said umm well it's her apartment I cant really do anything but ill send the super over...The super never showed up...The next day I call again and he rushed me off the phone like im a nuisance and the super showed up at around 10:00 pm . She said she spoke to her and told her to be reasonable and try not to play it late at night..I was not satisfied with that answer!THAN to make it worse the super adds "Well hun this is Brooklyn , folks like to blast thier music..This is nothing In the summer it gets worse cause folks like to sit outside get high and blast thier music..You need to get used to it" I was dumbfounded! I was like OMG I HAVE to get used to this?

I did speak to the neighbor directly..It was around 1:00 pm and my son was getting therapy services (He's 18 months and has autism) and the therapist said she is tired of hearing the music everytime she comes for a visit and may shorten his services because she cant tolerate the noise! So I went upstairs knocked nicely and asked her to turn the music down (Her teenage daughter answered ) She argued with me saying she does'nt have to turn her music down..I went back downstairs ..We finished his session ..Later that night at around 6:00 pm I hear someone banging on me door..Its the neighbor.She gets right in my face yelling and screaming about how it's her apartment and she can play her music and she said if i knock on her door again Im going to be sorry. To prove a point she blasted her music all night ...I have two kids ..ages and 18 months..They have autism so they have sensory issues the constant music playing bothers them greatly and it breaks my heart to see them cover up thier ears and cry . As a parent I tried to appeal to her and tell her my kids are being bothered by the noise and she said it's not my fault your kids have a mental disability and laughed in my face. Im at my wits end!I called 311 and 911 MULTIPLE times and they treat me as if IM a nuisance! They dont even show up! I call 311 and 8 hours later I ask for an update and they have it down as the police stopped by and didnt hear any noise...The police never showed up!!!

Because of my rental program I only pay 50 dollars a month and the woman above me pays the full amount of rent which is around 1000 a month which is why I think the landlord is basically ignoring my complaints!I feel as though she has more rights than I do! His response was well she pays rent!Excuse me I do too!Yeah it may only be 50 bucks but at the end of the day you got your money for my apartment !

I dont know what to do ...I cant just move out..I dont have the money and I need my rental program.I stay home because my kids get therapy services for hours a day . My kids deserve to get this therapy and I need to make sure that they are getting the help that they need. I read in the sub lease that there was a clause saying no loud music playing and it's being ignored. I feel like I have no rights.The woman who lives above me is violatile and she has several people living with her. If I were to confront her I would get jumped. I live in Bushwick and people out here are wild and will not hesitate to seriously hurt you.

Im very annoyed with the music myself. Im becoming depressed and slightly neurotic .Everytime I hear a noise I flinch because I know 3 or more hours of music is in store for me .....
The smartest thing to do if the police wont help and they should because there is a noise policy(I think 10pm) is contact local congressmen or others in politics.If they can't help they should be able to point you in the right direction.You might also want to try the ASA (Autism Society of America). Good luck.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:23 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Get hearing protection for your kids. Also, if the music is playing during the day there's not much you can do about it. If it's playing late at night, that's a different story. However...it's NOT a 911 call because it is NOT an emergency. If you call 911 too much for non-emergency issues, you'll just get in trouble (and rightfully so). Call the non-emergency number, if anything.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Some children with autism generally can't wear hearing protection because autism is a sensory problem and it might be too restraining.My 5 year old daughter has autism so I know. There are laws about decibel levels after certain hours as previously stated( I think 10pm).The police are supposed to enforce this but the other option is to move.Try contacting the autism groups or the Department of Social Services based on children with special needs.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Get a radio and turn it up real loud and leave for awhile.... Put on Opera music... if she lives up stairs chain it to the ceiling...

Old 02-17-2009, 04:43 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
This woman has to sleep sometime, right? When it's quiet, BLAST your music, and add rhythmic broomstick thumping as well.

Okay, okay, I'm only kidding... I don't think that would help the situation at all. I agree that calling 911 isn't going to fix the situation. While I understand that your kids need the treatment programs, how effective are these treatments if the background noise is so loud? You may indeed have to move, and give up the treatment program at least temporarily. However, I'm not a trained psychologist and I don't know how severe the autism is, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

I'm so sorry that you live downstairs from a certified moron. I wish we could just round up every noisy, obnoxious human being who thinks like this woman does, and confine them to one city. Then the rest of us could enjoy some peace and quiet for a change!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
This is terrible. Your landlord should threaten your neighbor with eviction if they don't cease and desist. In your area there are many laws in your favor, and you could actually sue your neighbor because of this. Read this entirely... Noise Law FAQ Brooklyn NY - Brooklyn NY, legal help, Brooklyn NY Property & Money, Brooklyn NY noise laws, Brooklyn NY noise problems, Brooklyn NY landlord liability, Brooklyn NY lawsuits, Brooklyn NY quiet hours

Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Have you tried putting a fan on or buying a white noise generator to drown out the music? I live in an apt and purchased a little white noise generator called the "sleepmate". It sounds like the hum of a fan or a/c unit and drowns out or muffles a lot of the outside noises that make apt life difficult. If the music is really loud, it probably won't completely mask the noise, but it will help you and your children focus more on the hum of the machine, rather than the music.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Call the cops. There are noise levels that are not acceptable 24/7 by the books. Basically if its scream level its too loud by anytime of the day. Your LL will need 3rd party police witness to event to take legal action. I had to do it myself. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:44 PM

101 posts, read 562,785 times
Thanx for the advice you guys ....Im going to have to move out. It's driving me insane and Im becoming neurotic seriously...I daydream about going to her apartment and cutting her wires with scissors lol .I got my section 8 acceptance letter (THANK GOD) So when Im at the meeting Im going to request to move into a diffrent apartment. Im also buying a large stereo tommorow! Im so sick of this woman. I havent had the money to buy one but tommorow is payday and I look forward to buying my stereo and placing my speakers right under her bedroom to give her a dose of her own medicine! That is going to be GREAT . My lease isnt up until August so until than I will have to bear it but now I have the option of playing my loud music whenever she plays her. Ill drown out her music with my own (and leave so my children doesnt have to hear it). Im sorry that my downstairs neighbor will have to suffer but hopefully after a couple days she will get the message . Until than Im looking for apartments ...I cant wait to get out of this place...Oh and Ill be blasting music they hate like gospel and classical! (I love both!) I really wish I didnt have to resort to this level ....and Im pissed because I have to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a stereo that I dont want nor need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.