Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:02 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
We live in the country - surrounded by woods. We had a mouse or 2 the first night we moved in. They were under the sink, so said my kitties. Never saw them after that night - that was a year ago. We also don't have a problem with other rodents or bugs; kitties like to play with them until they cease moving. Except for the lizards and salamanders - kitties bring them in to play with.

But don't expect a kitty or 5 to handle the outdoor rodents. You need a colony - that's why people with farms have barn cats.
We live in suburban SoCal, and one of our cats catches outdoor critters regularly, including rats (apparently rats are common in OC - I never saw them growing up in Riverside). He's a great hunter! Our other cat just gets by on his looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by givemeabreak20 View Post
I live in a nice apartment complex near to Anaheim Hills. Beautiful view, cool breeze, quite neighbors but too many rodents outside specially at night. Being a nature lover I've always appreciated wildlife. But this experience is different. I have a nice 2008 Audi that my husband bought for my birthday two years ago. Resident's parking place is practically near the woods. Few months ago my oxygen sensor wire was damaged by rodent. It cost me over $600 to fix it since renter's insurance doesn't include rodent damage and my comprehensive deductibles is too high. Last week my car had another damage also caused by rodent. I notified my leasing office. they said they will send exterminator. I know its going to be a very difficult task for them since they are dealing with wildlife, but I cannot afford fixing the car everytime rodent chews on wiring. I hope they will let me repair and deduct from my rent, if they are reasonable people.
Is you parking space near the dumpster?

Maybe park in an unassigned spot far away from it if it is.

Are you neighbors also having the same issues?

Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
We live in suburban SoCal, and one of our cats catches outdoor critters regularly, including rats (apparently rats are common in OC - I never saw them growing up in Riverside). He's a great hunter! Our other cat just gets by on his looks.
Thanks for a good morning chuckle! Rats abound where I live but my clowder deters them from coming inside or even close. Two of my 5 are hunters - one to "play" and who is totally confused when his new buddies stop moving , and the other a serious hunt, kill and eat gal. The rest, like yours, get by on their looks!

It would be nice if givemeabreak20 returned with an update ...

Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Thanks for a good morning chuckle! Rats abound where I live but my clowder deters them from coming inside or even close. Two of my 5 are hunters - one to "play" and who is totally confused when his new buddies stop moving , and the other a serious hunt, kill and eat gal. The rest, like yours, get by on their looks!

It would be nice if givemeabreak20 returned with an update ...
It's funny how some cats are just natural born hunters and others aren't. My Tiger has been an indoor cat his whole life but let me tell you, when a mouse got into my place a few years ago, he didn't survive long at all.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 688 times
Can I sue the apartment complex where I live because rats ate the wires in my car While my car was parked in a parking lot

Old 03-22-2019, 10:13 AM

486 posts, read 415,617 times
First of all, this thread is many years old and you should have started your own. Secondly, no, you can't sue the landlord because there's nature outside and it damaged your car.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,776 times
Did you actually see rats eat the wires? Do you have photographic evidence that these rats belonged to the landlord? smfh...

Old 03-22-2019, 01:35 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago711 View Post
Can I sue the apartment complex where I live because rats ate the wires in my car While my car was parked in a parking lot

no, but you can sue Mother Nature since the rodents belong to her.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:16 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago711 View Post
How do you know what ate the wires? Squirrels, chipmunks, native deermice, voles are common wildlife...they can all chew on car wiring. They don't "belong" to your LL.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 559 times
My situation is kind of different my apt took my sink out left it for a couple of weeks. When it was finally put back the pipes were exposed and my neighbors had rats that came on over. I have spoken to several staff members they have sent out an exterminator twice. He has put out 3 traps all together and hasn't been back for 3 months. My King size sheets(Expensive) has been ruined along with clothing,tennis shoes. I still have exposed pipes that I have reported. The tree rat ( Not cute little mice) is still here. We rarely go down stairs or use the kitchen. And it is currently living in my couch and vacations under my deep freezer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting