Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times

Advertisements

Common sense says someone paying nothing for something will treat it with less respect than someone paying a good chunk of their paycheck every month. Plus non-section 8ers usually have an established positive rental history and a security check they don't want taken.

Don't listen to the whiners on here pointing out the needle in the haystack section 8er that was actually a good tenant. Don't forget the paperwork and inspections you have to put with for sec. 8.

I would put a little bit of time and money into the property and try to find a quality lower paying tenant before I surrendered to the section 8 class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
I just had a Section 8 tenant evicted due to more problems that I can even list. They moved out this week and this is how they left the apartment. It was in excellent condition before they moved in and its completely destroyed and will cost me thousands to repair. I am in shock and in despair over this.

Check out these pictures:
ImageShack(TM) slideshow (http://img72.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=dsc01697t.jpg - broken link)

Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfiorello51 View Post
I just had a Section 8 tenant evicted due to more problems that I can even list. They moved out this week and this is how they left the apartment. It was in excellent condition before they moved in and its completely destroyed and will cost me thousands to repair. I am in shock and in despair over this.

ImageShack(TM) slideshow (http://img72.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=dsc01697t.jpg - broken link)
That is horrible.

Would regular inspections have helped, maybe find problems as they were developing?

I am not a fan of Section 8, it has not had the intended consequences and created many unintended consequences but if I had to take one, I think I would do monthly inspections.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:42 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfiorello51 View Post

That's horrible. It is hard to make a true comparison because you did not post the before pictures. Everyone has their own interpretation of what is considered excellent condition. I hope that they lose their voucher.

It astounds me that refusing to rent to a section 8 tenant is considered discrimination but no one will help mitigate your damages. The best way to legally discriminate is to impose a salary minimum.

I think about this a lot because I am planning to turn my property into a rental in 2013. I know that no matter what I do that things may go wrong but I have to go with my gut. I will not rent to a section 8 tenant for the same reason that I will not rent to a person that has bad credit or a criminal history; it's a bad risk.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,937 times
The VAST majority of section 8 users are a nightmare. I wouldn't take a chance.

If you do decide to take a chance, don't say you weren't warned.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
On the positive side... they are someone else's problem now...

There must have been some indication at the annual inspections of damage?

I have found doors, windows and locks to often be a problem with Section 8 rentals...

One of the signs is when the regular interior door knobs are replaced with locking ones... if the family members cannot trust each other... well, you see what I'm getting at.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 AM

584 posts, read 1,936,637 times
we have no problems from our sec 8 tenants then again we have a sec office that does its job, as far as locks on a room our closet so what i lock my bed room because i own fire arms to make sure the kids dont get them. so locks on a inside door mean not one thing. unless you have the mind of a thief

Old 11-13-2011, 10:04 AM

911 posts, read 2,600,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
If you decide to go Section 8, be prepared to have your property destroyed.

thats a very broad and selfish thing to say........

growing up, i was on section 8 in los angeles......we never destroyed a single thing. the apartment looked better when we moved out than it did when we first moved into it.

so its kinda of a bad thing to broad stroke everyone on section 8 because of a few bad apples.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
thats a very broad and selfish thing to say........

growing up, i was on section 8 in los angeles......we never destroyed a single thing. the apartment looked better when we moved out than it did when we first moved into it.

so its kinda of a bad thing to broad stroke everyone on section 8 because of a few bad apples.
You have it all twisted. Most are bad apples, only a few are worthy of the vouchers. Maybe your family was, but to say only a few are bad apples is ridiculous.
Most destroy everything and sit around on it forever!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:02 PM

10 posts, read 57,209 times
Section 8 tenants do have a bad reputation, in general. However, not all of them are bad and I wish it was easy to convince landlords of this. My family and I are part of the Section 8 program and we have never damaged any properties we have lived in. We treat a rental like it's our home. You have to live there, so why wouldn't you do this? Someone mentioned that Section 8 is good for people who are looking to live in a rental for a long time, which I agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting