Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:07 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,738 times

Advertisements

I have a lower-end property for rent and have had several inquiries about if I will accept Section 8. At first I said no, but then I got to thinking Why not? I don't know anything about it.

Can someone tell me, and I will do some research on my own, but if you know off the top of your head or if you're a Section 8 renter or landlord, can you give me the quick and dirty?

It's in CA.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Lots of threads about Section 8 on City-Data.

Here are a couple of links...

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ml#post1051829

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ml#post2876678

Old 04-17-2009, 09:52 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,651 times
If you decide to go Section 8, be prepared to have your property destroyed.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:00 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,738 times
Thanks, Ultra! Sorry. I should've searched. I know better. Thanks for your help.

Zug, why do you say that?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:17 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,019,269 times
Make sure your exterior is in ti-top shape. Also the interior, then you will go into abatement. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:02 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Thanks, Ultra! Sorry. I should've searched. I know better. Thanks for your help.

Because people who don't have to work hard to pay their rent tend to have a disregard for where they live. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that EVERYONE on Section 8 does this. It just happens frequently.

I lived in a multi-tenant building in Connecticut. About a year before I moved out it was sold to a company in NYC. It used to be a nice quiet place to live until all the new tenants they accepted were on Section 8. It's kind of funny that after that, more cars were broken into and there was more vandalism. The guy upstairs from me used to throw garbage out of his window, and the idiot 2 floors under me would blast his music all hours of the night.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Part of that has some truth...

I have not been accepting new Section 8 tenants because of procedural changes on how the program is being administered.

Namely, Section 8 has removed itself entirely from the Security Deposit/Damage part and has made it more time consuming to get approval... at least in my areas.

Some Tenants will pay nothing, or less. I had a tenant that actually was paid to live in one of my units because they were under-housed.

Some Tenants pay 95% or more of the rent and Section 8 pays almost nothing.

I know that it bothers Landlords that Section 8/Voucher seems now to take the policy whatever happens in the unit is the owners responsibility and the payment can be abated when the problem is caused solely by the tenant.

That said... I have some Section 8 families that have been with me for more than 20 years...

Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 45,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post

Ms Fancy
I have a friend that has had section 8 for 10 years ...This is an excellent program for someone who wants long term tenancy...1st ,Your property have to be in exceptional living condition ..2nd, section 8 will give you an initial property inspection and make note if property is in acceptable living condition...if its not in acceptable living condition, a property will not get approved for section 8...now another thing , if approved you will have annual inspections , if tenant or property owner needs to fix something inspector will make the tenant and or property owner fix the problem within 30 days, whoever responsible.if problem not fixed tenant will loose their section 8. please understand no section 8 tenant wants to loose their section 8, so i,m sure tenant will fix their problem, for example, dirty carpets.. if owner responsible you will have 30 days to fix problem or you will be abated= no rent payment on behalf of tenant until you fix problem and you cannot collect the payment from tenant , Tenant will only have to pay you their portion. Section 8 pays majority and may have tenant pay a portion of that rent. lets say your rent is $2000 the tenants portion can vary lets say tenant portion $500.once the tenant moves out you will have a final inspection...to make sure the tenant leaves the property in the same condition as when they initially moved in..Whoever told you section 8 is a bad program its not true its actually a great program...for tenant and the property owner... If tenant is working and loose their job section will pay the whole rent amount until tenant gets another income, if tenant is on aid or even unemployment you will still get your $2000 per month...now if the tenant does not pay...they will loose their section 8.. and you will have to evict them...but thats rare because tenants portion is adjusted according to their income....i hope this information helped you ..this is an excellent program...I do suggest not listening to people that had problems with section 8 because they got abated....thats because the owner did not repair property as instructed by section 8 ..I would rather have a section 8 tenant for 10 years than have a tenant with no guarantee rent will be paid and live on property for 3 months and then they get evicted if they loose income or have to move.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
Because people who don't have to work hard to pay their rent tend to have a disregard for where they live. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that EVERYONE on Section 8 does this. It just happens frequently.

I lived in a multi-tenant building in Connecticut. About a year before I moved out it was sold to a company in NYC. It used to be a nice quiet place to live until all the new tenants they accepted were on Section 8. It's kind of funny that after that, more cars were broken into and there was more vandalism. The guy upstairs from me used to throw garbage out of his window, and the idiot 2 floors under me would blast his music all hours of the night.
Thats racist to stereotype people on section 8 thats why the property owner is supposed to carefully select tenants and get references apparently the owner just cared about rent being paid i bet you wish you had section 8

Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Part of that has some truth...

I have not been accepting new Section 8 tenants because of procedural changes on how the program is being administered.

Namely, Section 8 has removed itself entirely from the Security Deposit/Damage part and has made it more time consuming to get approval... at least in my areas.

Some Tenants will pay nothing, or less. I had a tenant that actually was paid to live in one of my units because they were under-housed.

Some Tenants pay 95% or more of the rent and Section 8 pays almost nothing.

I know that it bothers Landlords that Section 8/Voucher seems now to take the policy whatever happens in the unit is the owners responsibility and the payment can be abated when the problem is caused solely by the tenant.

That said... I have some Section 8 families that have been with me for more than 20 years...
that is false!!!!, you did not fix a problem thats why you got abated and your blaming it on the tenant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting