Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 AM

391 posts, read 1,708,449 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in a 4 bedroom house in Atlanta and I need to rent two of my rooms out for extra income and they would share a bath. Originally, I opened my ad up to females only since the bath would have to be shared. I knew a female would not want to share with the oppossite sex. Well my rooms have not been rented yet and one guy is very interested but I told him no because then it would probrably be difficult for me to find a female roommate who would share the bathroom and I wasn't sure if I wanted to live with two guys. Well now I get a message from another guy who is interested which wouldn't pose a problem. Do you think it is unsafe or unwise for a single woman to live with two guys. Opinions are welcome about this situation. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:06 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Do a background check, at the minimum, a referance check. If they seem OK, and you feel good about them. go for it. The local police will probably help you with a background check for criminal activity. Set the rules and put everything in writing and have them each sign. Seperate, but sign a lease for each.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 PM

97 posts, read 406,532 times
I rented a room to a man once (I am female) and although he wasn't "unsafe" to live with, it got weird and I would not recommend it. But that's just me.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 PM

730 posts, read 2,887,475 times
I would not recommend it either. First of all, men are slobs (not all but most!!). Secondly, if they are total strangers, how would you know anything about their temperments, etc.? Being a girl, it's relatively safer for you to live with other women. Of course, women can be slobs/violent/psycho as well, but you have a better chance fending a girl off than a guy.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:07 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
Only if they were both very, very gay, and I'd do a thorough background check.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 PM

97 posts, read 406,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Only if they were both very, very gay, and I'd do a thorough background check.
Lol good point! I agree with that too. But then maybe you would have to "hear" things coming from the bedrooms, and well... you get it.

Bottom line is, rent to women, but then you get woman drama. /shrug

One thing I can't stand is having things moved when I get home from work. Now I have a family and things are different, but when I was single and lived with others it was always a nightmare. Whether they eat your food, pee on toilet seat, expect you to clean while they make a mess or leave the lights on and waste electricity, it's always something!

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2008, 05:32 PM

391 posts, read 1,708,449 times
Default You guys are funny!

Thank you so much for all the replies! Everything you guys said was my first instinct and you should always follow you first instinct. Okay, so I am going back to my original plan of only renting to women. I just got desperate because I really need the money that is why I started considering the men. Thanks a bunch. I enjoyed the very very gay comment and then the one that said I might hear things from the room. lol~

Old 12-30-2008, 05:46 PM

195 posts, read 741,374 times
You must check their identities.
People Search only charges you a small fee for both!
It is your safety and...Remember, once they started, it is very hard to get rid of them.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Check that it is legal with the Zoning that the house is in.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:00 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,959 times
I have had male housemates in the past but only those who were friends. As a female, I wouldn't rent to males that were not friends...it's tough enough to live with complete strangers to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting