Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times

Advertisements

Okay, talk me out of making a big mistake:

My property management company and I just broke up. The house is rented, tenant just moved in a month ago, lease goes through June of next year. I'm very tempted to save myself the 10% of the rent ($65) each month by just having them mail the check to me now. I get the feeling I'd live to regret to this. It sounds easy enough, but I keep having little questions like - do I need to get them to sign a new lease or is the old one still valid even though the landlord is now different? Can I just write an addendum thingie?

I'm actually thinking that if I can figure out the lease thing, the rest won't be so bad. I mean, yeah, things can break and I'd have to fix 'em, but I can make phone calls from Charlotte just as easily as from Detroit (oh, didn't I mention I live 700 miles away from the house?).

I need a property manager, right? Or maybe no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Yes and from this quote "I'm actually thinking that if I can figure out the lease thing" yes yes yes
I do it all myself but not 700 miles away a good PM will be worth the 65 bucks you need someone to look after your investment you can not do it from 700 miles away.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:25 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
If you have to ask... the answer is yes.

The alternative is to learn as you go... can be very expensive.

I've been managing property for almost 30 years... I have a property manager for my out of state property.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
First of all, re-read your agreement. Is there no clause covering the issue of the fact that your property manager put this tenant in the property and is due at least a portion (usually 1/2) of the commission for the balance of the term? Don't you have to give them some kind of Notice?

Why did you " break up " with this company?

yes, you need a professional management company. Interview a few on the phone, ask to see their management agreements and what ever else they require (insurance liability rider for instance), and see if you might be able to get a recommendation from a realtor you might know in the area. You are too far away for this to work out well for long, without one.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 AM

*sigh*
Yeah, I figured that's what y'all would say. And I suppose I agree. I was just sort of hoping that there'd be a chorus of "nah, there's nothing to it! Here, let me rewrite that lease for you! And I'll send you cookies, too!"
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
First of all, re-read your agreement. Is there no clause covering the issue of the fact that your property manager put this tenant in the property and is due at least a portion (usually 1/2) of the commission for the balance of the term? Don't you have to give them some kind of Notice?

Why did you " break up " with this company?
Wow. Assume much?
While I'm sure my ex-property manager would thank you for your concern for their well being, I find it interesting that you assume I ended the relationship. Without giving any notice no less. Rest assured I've read the agreement many times, and have broken no part of it.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
No it was actually your well-being (as far as possibly breaking a contract that could cause sticky legal problems) that I was addressing although, yes, I did infer from your post that you had ended the relationship. We have had a couple of owners decide to go elsewhere for whatever reason and they appeared very surprised that we planned on holding them to the contract regarding notice and commissions on existing tenants or bookings.

It's just somewhat unusual for the company to be the one ending a business relationship but of course, it does happen. I should have said "why was the agreement terminated" perhaps.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times
It appears that your ex-property management company worked diligently to find you a good tenant. One month after the tenant moves in and signing a one-year lease, did you terminate the management company thinking you can save $65.00 a month and the "hard and time consuming work" was over - and it would be so easy for you??? This is the reason why property management companies have contracts for 6 months or a year stipulating if the owner cancels, they are liable for the balance due to the PM for the "scheduled rent".

Old 06-25-2009, 10:40 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Please, please get a property management company. My old landlord was a couple hundred miles away and it was absolutely miserable. Whenever anything went wrong (and it did....often) it took him a few days to get back to me, much less fix anything. Emergencies?? HA. We had our electricity go out due to faulty wiring and we went 4 days without hearing from him after repeated calls and emails. Plus, when any work was done we had to fax over quotes, get those approved, send pictures of the finished product, plus receipts and whatnot to 'prove' it was done. Huge hassle.

I tried talking our old landlord into getting a property management company to take over but he refused. I would highly recommend getting a PM if you are that far away from your rental... it will save you and your tenants a lot of headaches.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,747 times
If you're in town, maybe not. 700 miles away, I'd say yes unless you have someone who can help you. You can "make calls" from 700 miles away but sometimes you need someone you can trust to give the big picture.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
It appears that your ex-property management company worked diligently to find you a good tenant. One month after the tenant moves in and signing a one-year lease, did you terminate the management company thinking you can save $65.00 a month and the "hard and time consuming work" was over - and it would be so easy for you??? This is the reason why property management companies have contracts for 6 months or a year stipulating if the owner cancels, they are liable for the balance due to the PM for the "scheduled rent".
You fail at guessing/speculating. Interesting little story you came up with there, though.

My thanks to the people who managed to simply answer my question and give their advice. I do believe I'll follow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting