Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,839,831 times

Advertisements

Yes, the place is a dump. I was desperate and needed a place to live and it was okay until it got too expensive. I've always been responsible, but I can't just pull money out of thin air right now either.

There is no lease.

And there is jury duty, which I cannot afford and cannot get out of hanging over my head, also totally stressing me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM

850 posts, read 4,743,539 times
Do everything you can to work something out with the landlord to move out voluntarily. They'll still stick you with the charges of unpaid rent and fees to remove the items you leave behind, but it's a lot better than having an eviction on your record. You think things are hard now? Just wait until you try to get another place. If you're lucky enough to find one, you'll likely have to pay a pretty hefty deposit, as much as 2 months rent. The ball's in your court to do the right thing now. It will definitely help you in the longrun.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
If you have no lease you're on a month to month agreement and are legally bound to give one month's written notice of quit. If you talk to your landlord right now and give a month's notice you may be able to get off with just paying the pro-rated balance of the one month's rent. That will be up to the landlord but at least will give him/her a chance to find someone to rent right after you move out.

The fact that the place is a "dump" is irrelevant. Talk to your landlord before you land in trouble and with more stress on yourself. If you plead your case properly where the jury duty is concerned you may well be able to get out of it but to sit back and do nothing isn't the way to go about any of this. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,647,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Yes, the place is a dump. I was desperate and needed a place to live and it was okay until it got too expensive. I've always been responsible, but I can't just pull money out of thin air right now either.

There is no lease.

And there is jury duty, which I cannot afford and cannot get out of hanging over my head, also totally stressing me out.
I had TWO roommates do that in a house I used to live at. They left in the middle of the night or while I was at work and disappeared. Left me with a giant rent bill that I had to pay and YES I got judgement on them. One is currently living in a garage in a 3 bedroom house with 9 other people because he couldn't get accepted for another apartment. The other? He moved out of state.

Sorry, but no matter what kind of dump this place was, it is your responsibility to pay rent because you agreed to live there.

Oh, and regarding jury duty, they won't let you off for 'financial reasons', trust me. I tried. On the other hand, you may show up for just a few hours like I did and you either won't get chosen to do jury duty, or the case will be dismissed before they choose jurors.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks, my brain is so crippled by stress I am having difficulty thinking things through. I spent an hour walking in circles yesterday looking for a clean shirt. Homelessness or some sort of really sketchy living situation is about to follow. I have a bit of money saved up but rather than watch than it fly out even faster, I want to use that to safely store my collection of vintage 1960's campaign memorabilia so I don't end up in a situation where I have to abandon even more than I want to. I am starting to really hate this state but have hardly even visited anywhere else.

I am not going to be stiffing the management company too bad - once I am gone and they do the extensive work needed to get this place in appropriate shape, they can get at least $500 a month more.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Oh, and I already know I am a morally and spiritually defective human, I am just trying to get an idea of exactly what happens after I stop paying rent, not any moral judgements on the type of person I am. I already know.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,833,345 times
It sounds like you are going through a ruff patch and these things happen in life unfortunatly. I just wonder why you don't want to talk to the LL? I know it can be hard to face people through this but you may be surprised that they may be more compassionate then you think. Many can relate in this hard economic time.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,757,853 times
I'd also look into local services for depression. After reading this, I'm very concerned about you. Not just if you are going to tell the landlord anything, but you seem to be in a bad place mentally, too. Please try to find some help for that. You will get through this!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
It sounds like you are going through a ruff patch and these things happen in life unfortunatly. I just wonder why you don't want to talk to the LL? I know it can be hard to face people through this but you may be surprised that they may be more compassionate then you think. Many can relate in this hard economic time.
I can hardly string together a sentence right now or express a coherent thought. I really want to just get out of here as soon as I can, even if it probably won't be by the first and even if I don't have anywhere else to go.

(and yes, basically it's a temper tantrum over the rent increase which I can't afford)

Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
I'd also look into local services for depression. After reading this, I'm very concerned about you. Not just if you are going to tell the landlord anything, but you seem to be in a bad place mentally, too. Please try to find some help for that. You will get through this!

Unfortunately I am not in much of a position to do anything about that right now.

Basically I dug my own grave and have been laying in it for years and only starting to panic now that I can taste the dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting