Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 10:38 AM

94 posts, read 375,477 times

Advertisements

So in this crazy economic climate, I am thinking about doing the roommate route to save a little money every month.

I'm 26 and lived on my own the past two years (and loved it), but I pay way more than I should be paying for what I have. Roommates are always cheaper.

I have two options though right now...

1.) Wait for two good friends to sublease their current place and we all find a three bedroom place together. Only cavets are that one of them can be kind of flakey when it comes to finances, and last time I lived with a good friend it was terrible experience (he was very clingy and always thought it was OK to rummage through my stuff without asking). On the flip side, I know we'd at least all get along, and I know their standard of living currently.

2.) Move in with two people (both around my age) I have only met once. They had the ad on craigslist, I went and saw the place, they seemed very nice. They say they are looking for exactly what I am, a roommate who will be up for hanging out every once in awhile, but not huge into partying. Plus it might be a nice way to meet some new people. Of course down side is, I've only met them once, and their could be some crazy **** they didn't mention.

Right now I am leaning towards option 2. Living with good friends again kind of scares me a little, and it would be nice to meet a couple new people. Plus they live practically in the same area I do now which I love.

You guys ever done anything like this or have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
I have shared apartments and houses with roommates on several occasions when I was young. I always chose friends I knew and hung out with. Even with friends, you soon find out that knowing someone and living with them are two different things.It can work out, but it often ends friendships..!
Once they move in, they turn into slobs who expect you to be their mother and take care of them, as in clean up after them. Young single people don't tend to be steady. They move in and out depending on how their love life is going.
There are enough problems with people you know, you're really rolling the dice living with people you don't know. It could work out perfectly, it could be a nightmare.
When I purchased my first home, I had roommates for years. It wasn't always pleasant, but the trade off was, they were making my house payments..! I always tried to rent to friends, but when that wasn't possible, I got guys from the local college. I had several bad experiences with that.
Years later, after a marriage and divorce, I bought another home and got roommates to again make my payments. Some were good, some were bad, some were awful, and you don't know what you get until they live with you. It's too late by then. You never know someone until you live with them. I got through it because they were making my house payments.
If you feel the need to do it, don't sign a lease, or you could get stuck in a long term, terrible situation.
I am now a property owner and landlord, and I would never consider renting to young single people for too many reasons to mention, but those situations rarely work out. Young adults in their 20's are far from being mature adults.
Good luck on whatever you decide to do...

Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 PM

256 posts, read 894,621 times
I think if you can afford to be in your own place, then be in your own place. Saving the extra money sometimes is not worth the stress of a roommate. The only people I would remotely consider living with are my brother and sister because we were taught the same values growing up, but you can't say that about other people.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Ive done it for over a year due to Medical Debt,etc
My experience is you dont really know what youre getting into until..
You are moved in a few weeks at least.
I have been in a few less than desireable situations and some ok.
You ll always find some little things that annoy you at least thats been..
My experience.I wouldnt do the roomate thing unless you will save ALOT of money.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preditor74 View Post

1.) Wait for two good friends to sublease their current place and we all find a three bedroom place together. Only cavets are that one of them can be kind of flakey when it comes to finances, and last time I lived with a good friend it was terrible experience (he was very clingy and always thought it was OK to rummage through my stuff without asking). On the flip side, I know we'd at least all get along, and I know their standard of living currently.
I don't have many friends so I am going to have to go the stranger route and it's giving me anxiety attacks. But I would beat somebody mercilessly if I caught them going thru my things (I am a very private person).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting