Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:05 PM

106 posts, read 898,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3593 View Post
I generally do not charge anything to hold the property, because it actually seems to be a deterrent.
Unless you have a deposit in your hand and a signed lease, you haven't actually rented the place. You just think you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:08 AM

104 posts, read 637,256 times
Thanks for all the great input!!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 PM

25 posts, read 118,417 times
I know this thread is a little old, but I had the same experience in August myself. Had excellent tenants in my house. They moved and recommended their sister. She checked out great. I did not collect rent to hold the house nor make her sign a lease beforehand. Bailed on me the day before she was supposed to move in. Lesson learned.

I do have e-mail communications stating she was approved to rent it and from her indicating she would take possession and on what date. I'm going to look into that and see if I have something.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:44 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeeper View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but I had the same experience in August myself. Had excellent tenants in my house. They moved and recommended their sister. She checked out great. I did not collect rent to hold the house nor make her sign a lease beforehand. Bailed on me the day before she was supposed to move in. Lesson learned.

I do have e-mail communications stating she was approved to rent it and from her indicating she would take possession and on what date. I'm going to look into that and see if I have something.
Since you didn't take any money, I'll venture to say you're S.O.L. Definitely a lesson learned, but don't spend any more time on this one. Move on to the next, quickly.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 AM

25 posts, read 118,417 times
I appreciate the advice Eric. :-) I wasn't going to worry about it much if any. Right now I'm too concerned with getting it rented.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:45 AM

Yeah--lesson learned. I dont give a crap how well they check out, how nice they seem--etc. etc, my new motto is money talks (and holds your house) and "you know what" walks! By the way, I am traveling to house later today to sign the lease with a couple who paid a NON REFUNDABLE deposit to hold the house! Landlords, dont do it any OTHER way!

Old 09-19-2009, 01:34 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Lesson learned, never ever agree on partial sec. deposits or partial rental payments.

Charge a high late fee + interest, and put it clearly in the rental agreement, that can and will scare some people off but you know what they would do.

If you Town home is in a good condition and a great location you will be able to rent it faster. I even rented mine this year for 2 years and charged higher rent than some others who are in financial trouble. I stated in my listing that no mortgage is on the property so no chances for foreclosure in the future and that seem to be very welcome by potential tenants.

Never fall for sob stories and was she really pregnant?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:42 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Lesson learned, never ever agree on partial sec. deposits or partial rental payments.

Charge a high late fee + interest, and put it clearly in the rental agreement, that can and will scare some people off but you know what they would do.

If you Town home is in a good condition and a great location you will be able to rent it faster. I even rented mine this year for 2 years and charged higher rent than some others who are in financial trouble. I stated in my listing that no mortgage is on the property so no chances for foreclosure in the future and that seem to be very welcome by potential tenants.

That is all excellent advice. I also own a unit with no mortgage and was wondering if it would help if that was stated. With your advice, I will now start including that information in the ads/contracts.

As for the late fees, in California they are limited to reasonable amounts only. Unfortunately, they do not define what that is, it would be up to a particular judge. Even the old trick of artificially inflating the rental price but offering a substantial discount if paid by the beginning of the month probably does not hold up.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Yes, very much so, unless it was a huge pillow under her shirt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting