Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 PM

219 posts, read 877,764 times

Advertisements

Can my credit be affected if a property management company claims I need to pay for new carpet and I refuse?

I moved out of my apartment and had the carpet professionally steam cleaned and it looks brand new. There are no visible stains or damages to the carpet. The property management company is claiming the carpet is "uninhabitable". They tore back the carpet to the pad and found stains in the padding below the carpet. They are stating I must now pay to replace the carpet in the entire apartment (est. $1000). I am refusing to pay this. They will simply hand it over to a collection agency I'm assuming. What rights do I have and how can I prevent my credit from being affected? Also, they have a $200 security deposit and a $100 credit (due to rent overpayment on my behalf) I know they can keep the deposit, but I they required by law to give me back the credit?

Any documentation or law you can cite would be much appreciated. State of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
you have a reciept for the cleaning? that one thing and then WHY would they feel the need to tear back the carpet and padding? Did you have a pet? Cat oder is why most LL do pull carpet cant get rid of the stench

Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 PM

Yes I had a dog and there were some pet stains near the front door. Those have since been removed completely via the carpet cleaning. It looks and smells brand new. They probably saw the stains when maintenance came in to install new piping for the washing machine.

Yes I have a receipt and they were given a copy.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times
It's strange that they didn't require a pet deposit.

Seems to me that you should only be liable for the security deposit amount anyway.

Fight it.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
difference of opinion. you say the evidence of the dog have been removed they say no.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM

Pulling up the carpet AFTER the carpet was cleaned is odd to me is where they pulled it up where the stains were at? I dunno IF the carpet was clean and oder free I wouldnt have likely pulled it up no reason to ... if it smelled tho diffrent story of course .. THIS is why we are going for stained cement floors or terrozo flooring that the tenants have to lay rugs on in the building my boss has.. it makes sense really short term its costly but long term naw better for all concerned

Old 08-31-2009, 02:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,060 times
Where I live, they tear back the apartments of all those who had pets. Although, you seen no evidence of stains--there may have been stains visual only when they tore back the carpet. This will be hard to fight--good luck!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Some times pet owners are oblivious to the smells of their pets. What smelled clean to you might have reeked to high heaven to the property manager.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 PM

Thats my thought .. as long as the carpet is clean and no stains and NO SMELL I wouldnt have pulled it back yep waiting for the next person who doesnt make the effort and they can pay for new carpets or flooring

Old 09-01-2009, 07:12 AM

Ok, here is an update for you all and please tell me if you've ever heard of places doing this before.

Apparently they go in with a black light after each tenant vacates to look for hidden stains. They stated they found pet stains using the black light so they tore up the carpet. Underneath the carpet (on the bottom side) there was staining. So it looks like I'm gonna have to fit the bill on this one. They are requiring me to pay for new carpet, pad, and installation for whole apartment which totals around a thousand bucks, I'm fuming!

Black light? Really? What is this CSI???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting