Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,369 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of an NC law that allows you to break your lease with 60 days notice only IF you are purchasing a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:03 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
I'm not from NC and I don't know the Landlord/Tenant law, but if there were such a law, I would do what was necessary to have it changed.

Assuming you're the tenant in this situation, how many months into your lease are you? Have you offered to find a qualified replacement tenant for your landlord?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Nope, as far as I am aware a legal contract cannot be voided by an outside action other than a court order. You would have to include this as a reason for termination in the lease to be legally permissible.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
If you are planning on doing this it would be well worth the effort to run it by a lawyer for advice...

On the face of it... sounds irrational.

Would you give a 30 day notice on the day escrow closed on your new home?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM

126 posts, read 673,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Nope, as far as I am aware a legal contract cannot be voided by an outside action other than a court order. You would have to include this as a reason for termination in the lease to be legally permissible.
I think this is generally true if the law did not exist when the lease was signed. However, my understanding is that if this law was on the books when the lease was signed, the lease is subject to that law -- unless the tenant expressly waived his or her rights under the law (and even then such a waiver may not be effective depending on what the law says).

First thing to do is find this law. Everything else is speculation. Call your local housing department. If it exists, my guess is the law provides the procedure for breaking a lease under its terms.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:19 PM

30 posts, read 173,477 times
NC has no such law, you need to contact your landlord to see if they will allow you to terminate. You are stuck with the lease you signed.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Your best bet is to give your landlord as much notice as possible and do everything you can to get your place re-rented with minimal disruption to the landlord. He or she can't collect double rent, as far as I know. I believe nearly any landlord's chief concern is whether he or she will get the rent on time.

We broke our lease last year. My husband was offered a promotion in another state, and it was a good opportunity for us. We gave our landlords something like five months' notice, allowed them to make some minor repairs and upgrades while we still lived there, put ads on Craigslist for them, took pictures of the house, showed the place for them, and paid an month's rent while the place stood empty so they could paint the exterior and do some landscaping. They re-rented the house with no trouble, which invalidated our lease.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Forgot to mention the one exception I'm aware of...

In certain cases military personnel are allowed early lease termination without penalty... the are specific requirements that must be met... none of them apply to purchasing a home...

Old 09-20-2009, 12:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I agree, military service is a reason to break your lease if you provide proof...it is a law in Fl.

If you break your lease because you are buying than it is because you prefer to live somewhere else...and in Fl. you can do that, but your are responsible for all payments till your lease is over, or the LL has another tenant to replace you. You could be very active in searching for another tenant that is acceptable to the LL, I wouldn't have an issue with a case like that, but the new tenant needs to be a credible tenant.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I would try talking to the LL and explain. Maybe you could find someone through craiglist but they would have to pass the same check of record etc that others do when renting the apt. Congrats on the new house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting