Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 PM

5 posts, read 38,489 times

Advertisements

Ours told us on the 2nd that she was moving on the 4th. She moved out. We readied the place to rent again and luckily we were able to get someone in on the 15th. Did she forfeit the rest of the month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 PM

126 posts, read 673,907 times
This is probably governed by the lease. For instance, there may be some kind of presumed damages clause which says who pays what when the lease is terminated early. I know I've seen that in the pre-printed leases I've signed.

But if there is nothing in the lease, you should do what is fair (and probably what is fair is what the law is for tenancies). If she was month to month and she left without giving thirty days notice, she owes you what you lost for the 15 days during which the place was not rented, and maybe the reasonable expenses you incurred to relist it (although you probably would have incurred those anyway had she given 30 days notice). Just factor how much rent you were paid for this month and subtract that from what she would have paid you. That is what she owes you, but not the full month. That seems fair to me.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 AM

5 posts, read 38,489 times
Thanks Domsey...I'm getting your gist, but let me just clarify so I make sure folks know the framework. Would really appreciate your feedback on this and for people to weigh in. We don't want to rip this girl off, but feel like we were put in a tough bind having to find someone to fill the room, and it could have gone quite badly.

Background: When she moved in she paid 800. 1st, 800. last and instead of the usual 500 deposit, we figured it would be easier for her to afford 250.

Without any lead up warning she told us on Sept. 2nd that she was moving out Sept. 4th. She had just paid for the month of Sept.

Now on Sept. 17 she's asking if she can get what's left of the month, or some portion of it back, since she moved so early in the month.

I'm feeling like that was her choice to move early and not our fault. Although she is paid up for Sept., I feel she has forfeited the rest of the month. She certainly had the option of staying out the month, or she could have planned her move better, or let us know at least that she was thinking of moving soon. We could have gotten the word out. We got someone in, luckily, this week, but he couldn't afford the whole first, last and deposit. This odd situation actually allowed us to pass on the benefit to the new renter by having him pay the "last" over time.

1st, last and deposit, in other words is the equivalent of a minimum rental amount- like renting a villa for a month. Leave early and that's your problem-you wouldn't expect money back, right?

Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 AM

448 posts, read 1,606,179 times
When I moved out of my apartment (very similar to the time frames you refer to in your specific situation), my landlord was very kind and prorated the month based on the 5 days I stayed in the apartment. The lease did specifically say that it is at the landlord's discretion whether they will prorate the rent.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM

273 posts, read 655,466 times
You had the right to keep the last month if a 30 day notice wasn't given and the apt stood empty. But, since you got it rented, you owe the tenant from the 15th to the end of the month. You can keep any or all of the deposit to cover any expenses in getting the apt ready for a new tenant. The laws about keeping rent money are specific.

Your financial arrangements with the new tenant have nothing to do with the previous one.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney nor did I sleep in a hotel last night.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
I think the right thing to do is rebate the part she paid when a new tenant is in. (1/2 the month) You say things could have gone bad, I imagine so but they didn't . Count yourself lucky, send your previous tenant on her merry way with 1/2 of September refunded + security - any damages.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:09 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I think the right thing to do is rebate the part she paid when a new tenant is in. (1/2 the month) You say things could have gone bad, I imagine so but they didn't . Count yourself lucky, send your previous tenant on her merry way with 1/2 of September refunded + security - any damages.

I wouldnt give her a good refernce tho .. that no notice thing just burns my butt cause I have to deal with the owners of the buildings .. so They dont return SD on a no notice move & depending on the reasons they sometimes pro rate the rent but usually not

Old 09-18-2009, 10:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Legally your not required to return the months rent, even on a month to month verbal
agreement, 30 day notice is proper. Legally the 30 days doesn't begin until the 1st of
the following month, but if its your property you can bend the rules.

EDIT*
Collecting rent twice for the same month for two different tenants is also illegal.
So, prorating would be appropriate, if thats the case.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreedo View Post
Ours told us on the 2nd that she was moving on the 4th. She moved out. We readied the place to rent again and luckily we were able to get someone in on the 15th. Did she forfeit the rest of the month?
In most states(maybe all) collecting double rent is illegal.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:06 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
That’s a great idea lets reward the person for being irresponsible give her the whole month’s rent its only 4 days. Let’s be honest she could use the money and she was nice enough to not trash the place.

Are you people for reel if I read the op right she broke the lease she should gets nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting