Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
i would scope out an apartment on a Saturday afternoon or really a Saturday night. If you find a place you like, look at night and especially on the weekends. Cars do not tell the story. never judge a book by it's cover.
I disagree completely about cars. If I see a parking lot full of slick SUVs or cars with shiny pimp rims, and random beaters, I know it's probably noisy by default. Lots of subwoofer scum. People often are what they drive.

I'm not concerned about humble poor folk who simply can't afford better vehicles, just people who go out of their way to "impress" others with how much noise they can make, since they do little of value, otherwise. I include Harleys in that category, too.

Last edited by ca_north; 05-30-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM

103 posts, read 366,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
The tips above are great, but you really have to keep in mind that you never know when some insanely loud elephant stomping door slammer with lots of loud personal drama will move in to an adjacent unit. If quiet is really important to you, you should consider renting a detached house instead, so at least any noisy neighbors will not be sharing walls with you.
My sentiments exactly!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Post well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I'm planning to move to a new city that I'm not familiar with. Does anyone have any tips for sizing up an apartment before I move? Like, are there some red flags that I can look for before I sign a lease? This might sound snobby, but I think a lot of times if there are a lot of cars in the parking lot that are totally falling apart, that can be a sign. And it seems like apartments that are really cheap have degenerates in them (not everybody is a degenerate, I'm sure, but it makes sense that a cheap apartment would have at least a few unsavory characters.)

I've had a lot of experience living in different apartments and I'm sick of living around loud people. For the most part, the demographic I have the most trouble with are kids in their late teens/early twenties having loud parties, hanging out in the parking lot around cars with stupidly loud stereo systems, playing Guitar Hero at midnight, etc.

I'm not rolling in the dough, but I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to live in a place that isn't inhabited by rude, punk kids. I'd love to just live in a retirement community, but they don't take people under the age of 60. I don't blame them.
I would go directly to the rental office and ask what their policy is regarding 'quiet time', children, pets etc. That would be your best approach, I think.
Koale

Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Regarding the cars in the parking lot, I agree that that does have something to do with it. You don't want to see a lot of beat-up cars because that shows that they don't take pride in their property & probably don't take care of their apt either or have this noncaring type attitude about things. However, I agree that you don't want to see too many supped-up cars that looks like it's the party or clubbing cars...that will be noisy.

Also, remember to call the police dept of the city you plan to move into to see how the crime rate is. I did that for several complexes I was thinking about moving into.

Also, read online apt reviews. If MOST are bad, that should sway something.

By the way, I'm only in my 30s, but I wouldn't mind living in a senior complex either. Then you know it will more that likely be quiet. However, a lot of elderly people can be crabby grouches too.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Would like to know if the OP was able to find an apt she liked; didn't see anything from her after the 2009 comments.

A person may have quiet neighbors now, but there's no guarantee they won't move and be replaced by noisy neighbors.

The most irritating noises to me are loud stereos (bass pounding through the walls), and dogs that bark too much.

I've never lived in a seniors only complex; I wonder if that could mean some may stay up late watching tv - a tv turned way up due to hearing loss? Retired folks can enjoy staying up late if they want since they don't have to go to work anymore.

Have heard renting compared to camping out; and by that it was meant you're pretty much in for a lot of things you may not like. However, I have also heard negative comments from people living in single family homes who have trouble with neighbors.

Am in agreement that the proximity of the apartments to high crime areas is a major concern. Most police departments have crime maps that aid in selecting a location.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times
Good luck.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 AM

986 posts, read 2,508,676 times
Default Cars DO tell you something

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
i would scope out an apartment on a Saturday afternoon or really a Saturday night. If you find a place you like, look at night and especially on the weekends. Cars do not tell the story. never judge a book by it's cover.
If you're just talking about the age of a car, possibly, unless it looks poorly maintained.

But you can definitely spot potential noise makers by what they drive. Old American "ghetto" sedans, black wheels, shiny rims, window logo decals, lowered suspensions, jacked up pickups and Harleys are various signs of people who want to show off and expect others to "just deal with" their racket.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Koale already said it, but I think it bears repeating; ask the office what their policy is against noise. Make sure you understandt their policy on 'daily living noise' and 'quiet enjoyment' noise. There is a huge, huge difference and people fail to realize that.

I will add something about cars...avoid places with airbrushed cars, that usually means you're in the hood or ghetto and dont' want to live there. EVER. There is a section 8 complex that I drive by and it's full of airbrushed cars. One is covered in Hello Kitty, one is covere in Care Bears, one is covered in Pooh Bear...looks stupid as hell. I just want to know if you can afford to air brush your car, why the hell am I paying your rent??!!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:44 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
In my experience, higher socioeconomic class apartments/ condos have always been quieter. Also the older the average age of the residents, the quieter.

It almost goes without saying to stay away from complexes where there's lots of beaters, tricked-out, and pimped-out cars in the lots; Always drama when those vehicles are present.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 PM

486 posts, read 832,395 times
Drive though the complex at nighttime. If there is no parking or cars parked illegally the you know their are large extended families living in each apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting