Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 74,402 times

Advertisements

I currently rent a small apartment on a couple's private property. All utilities are included in the rent and I do not have a washer / dryer or oven.

Lately I have been having my boyfriend stay over. I am wondering if the landlords will have concerns that there is someone over about 3 nights per week and/or if it will result in a higher utilities cost.

I don't think the utilities cost should go up that much since we are not there that much
(I just use the place to sleep during the week and out most of the weekend) and he usually showers at his place.

We are both very quiet but that is probably not a concern since we don’t share any walls.
I checked my lease agreement and it does not mention anything about guests.

I have a copy of the ad they originally posted on Craigslist and it says “for one person only” but that is not mentioned in the lease agreement.

I know that I can stay at his place also sometimes but he has roommates and I really enjoy my place a lot.

I have been living with my parents and I am on my own for the first time so all of this is new to me.
Advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by florencevassy; 10-26-2009 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Wanted to make it shorter. Elimiate icon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
Most likely they won't care. Any differences in the utility bill will be minor, especially if he isn't showering there.

However, you might want to read your lease and make sure there isn't a definition of "guest". We define a "guest" as being present no more than 14 days in any 6 month period. The reason we do this is so people don't let their homeless friends move in for 3 months with their 3 kids and 2 dogs and give us the "they're just a guest" line. We don't care about the boyfriends staying over sometimes, that falls into the "none of my business" category unless they are causing problems, or if they actually move in.

Since everyone is different, we can't know whether they will care or not. My opinion is that as long as he doesn't cause problems (that includes making sure his car is parked in a place where no one can get mad about it), no one will care.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
I also have defined a guest in my lease...if some one stays on a regular base it isn't a guest but an added tenant. Since utilities are incl. you might want to be careful specially since the add clearly stated one person....maybe your LL doesn't mind at all.

Being honest and tell your LL might solve and help you to prevent future issues and have it in writing or in an email as proof. Everybody knows that friendships can go a long way or ....not. I hope yours will be the best experience ever!

Last edited by bentlebee; 10-26-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,535 times
Lease, but no guest clause.. Sounds like you're fine..

Old 10-28-2009, 05:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
You could just run it by your LL as a courtesy. As a landlord in a previous life I did have a guest clause in my rental agreement and only had a problem once when a renter started having her BF over every night. Took care of that very quickly.

Your LL would probably appreciate the courtesy as no doubt they want to know who, apart from their tenant, is on their property. They may be fine with a couple of nights a week but since they did say in their ad that the apartment was for one person only you should run it by them. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You could just run it by your LL as a courtesy. As a landlord in a previous life I did have a guest clause in my rental agreement and only had a problem once when a renter started having her BF over every night. Took care of that very quickly.

Your LL would probably appreciate the courtesy as no doubt they want to know who, apart from their tenant, is on their property. They may be fine with a couple of nights a week but since they did say in their ad that the apartment was for one person only you should run it by them. Good luck!

If I have a guest, it is not any of my landords business who the heck they are. They are my guest and it is none of my landlords business.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
If I have a guest, it is not any of my landords business who the heck they are. They are my guest and it is none of my landlords business.
You're missing the point. A landlord is perfectly within his rights to restrict the number of people occupying the premises. If you read this thread you will see that it is not unusual for a landlord to specify what constitutes a "guest" and impose restrictions on them.

This is not about someone inviting someone over for an evening game of Cribbage but having overnight guests on a regular basis.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Read your lease....It is their business...

Old 11-02-2009, 05:24 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,725 times
Yes, definitely mention it to your landlord. If he's staying over that often, they might want him to complete a rental application, to run a background check on him. That may sound silly, but if he's got a criminal record, they may not want him [effectively] living on the property. In what state are you located?

Old 11-02-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Yes, definitely mention it to your landlord. If he's staying over that often, they might want him to complete a rental application, to run a background check on him. That may sound silly, but if he's got a criminal record, they may not want him [effectively] living on the property. In what state are you located?
LOL there is no effing way I would let a landlord run a check of any sort on any of my guests! Thats just waaay beyond invasion of privacy. If their driver's license doesn't list that address as their permanent residence, then thats that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting