Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,109 times

Advertisements

i'm happy that he's paying with a cashier's check since i don't have to worry about insufficient funds, etc.
but he mails it in regular mail..........

i don't really want to say anything.....but i'm kinda worried. what if the mail gets lost? then it becomes a matter of 'he said she said' where he says that he sent it, but i never got it....so....

in such a case, is there any way to recover money?

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Hm..do cashier's checks come with some sort of receipt that proves they purchased it? That's on his side. As far as the receiving end goes--I hate to have anything delivered to my home or places that will not ship to PO boxes. The reason I have a PO Box is security.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Tell the tenant to write "for deposit only" on the back of the check. That way anyone who gets it will have to deposit it so there is a trail. It also means you would have to deposit it into your account. It does not have to have your account number or signature, just"for deposit only". it can't be cashed. All you do is add your signature and account number to put into your bank.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:17 AM

What if it gets lost in the mail? what then?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:50 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
What if it gets lost in the mail? what then?
The tenant may be able to get his money back but its not as simple as a personal check. But I believe the tenant is responsible for the check until you have possession of it.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The tenant may be able to get his money back but its not as simple as a personal check. But I believe the tenant is responsible for the check until you have possession of it.
yeah, technically i think you'd be right....but when it comes down to it, he'll see it as "hey, i paid the post office X amount and got the thing and sent it....it's not my fault that the usps lost it" and then the problems start.

i don't want to tell him to send me a personal check but i wonder if there's a better way of dealing with this.

writing "for deposit only" is a good idea but i'm not sure if it'll take care of all issues.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:20 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
If the cashier's check worries you, you might want to consider having your tenant deposit it directly into an account you set up for that express purpose. That way you have a bank statement each month that proves when the deposit was made, you don't have to worry about a check lost in the mail, etc. You could ask the tenant what bank he/she uses, set up an account there, and arrange for the rent to be deposited there each month.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
If the cashier's check worries you, you might want to consider having your tenant deposit it directly into an account you set up for that express purpose. That way you have a bank statement each month that proves when the deposit was made, you don't have to worry about a check lost in the mail, etc. You could ask the tenant what bank he/she uses, set up an account there, and arrange for the rent to be deposited there each month.
yes i'm aware of that and i did that actually. i opened an account at their bank and told them that they can have a direct deposit set up....but for some reason, they said no, we'll send a check each month.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
yes i'm aware of that and i did that actually. i opened an account at their bank and told them that they can have a direct deposit set up....but for some reason, they said no, we'll send a check each month.
Or maybe ask for a money order instead? Are cashier's checks cheaper? I'm not sure. Though I agree with you, you definitely don't want to be involved in a lost check dispute even if you would prevail in court. As a landlord you(I"m pretty sure) you can accept payment however you wish(I think you have to give a receipt when asked). So I would tell them to deposit it in the account or get a money order.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Or maybe ask for a money order instead? Are cashier's checks cheaper? I'm not sure. Though I agree with you, you definitely don't want to be involved in a lost check dispute even if you would prevail in court. As a landlord you(I"m pretty sure) you can accept payment however you wish(I think you have to give a receipt when asked). So I would tell them to deposit it in the account or get a money order.
thanks.
yeah, i agree.

i actually just checked....and i made a mistake....it was a money order that they gave....not a cashier's check.
how does that differ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting