Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:52 AM

427 posts, read 1,223,799 times

Advertisements

What do i do, i live with 2 other people and one of them is my cousin, i woke up today my off day and my car was gone and apparently the other guy my friend, said he saw my cousin drive off in my car earlier today! The thing is i didn't give him permission to use my car and we never even discussed it. So what am i supposed to do, i called him and he didn't answer or call me back, it's been almost 2 hours. Do i call the cops on my own family and tell them he stole my car or what?! If it wasn't my family or if i had to work today i would have already called the cops, but idk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:00 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,124 times
Can you get a message to him by voicemail, email, or some other way, telling him that if he doesn't have the car back pronto you are calling the police? Give him a specific deadline - say, one hour or so. If it wasn't for the fact that he is family, I wouldn't even worry about giving him a heads-up, but at least this way he's been warned, and if you do end up involving the police he has no one to blame but himself.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
What do i do, i live with 2 other people and one of them is my cousin, i woke up today my off day and my car was gone and apparently the other guy my friend, said he saw my cousin drive off in my car earlier today! The thing is i didn't give him permission to use my car and we never even discussed it. So what am i supposed to do, i called him and he didn't answer or call me back, it's been almost 2 hours. Do i call the cops on my own family and tell them he stole my car or what?! If it wasn't my family or if i had to work today i would have already called the cops, but idk.
How did he get the keys? How good of a relationship do you have otherwise with your cousin? Has he done this kind of thing before? Does he have substance abuse problems?

My gut reaction from what you've said would be to call the police and report your vehicle stolen. That way and worst case scenario, if there's an accident you've already reported the vehicle stolen and can't be held liable while, best case scenario, he'll have a big dose of reality hitting him and won't do it again. Call now is my advice. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 AM

418 posts, read 1,089,798 times
X2. and keep your keys safe.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:12 AM

He got the keys off of the key rack we have by the door. I've never before had an issue with leaving them on the rack so i don't misplace them. No, he dosen't have a drug problem but he did go to jail about a year ago for like 90 days for pleading guilty for a stealing charge. He told me he got mixed up with the wrong people, wrong time kinda thing. We have a good relationship but he's been having some issues with his parents aggrevating him recently that have had him a little testy. I've called him like 20 times and no answer left like 10 voicemails and 10 texts. Idk i think i'm just going to call the cops on him.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM

He's on probation or parole too whichever one it is i can't remeber so this might really screw him over. Don't people go back to jail if they have an issue while on that?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,835 times
Quote:
He's on probation or parole too whichever one it is i can't remeber so this might really screw him over. Don't people go back to jail if they have an issue while on that?

Does it matter? Not really.. He doesnt care or he wouldnt have taken the car ..
Call the cops now and report your loss befor he gets YOU into trouble .. what if he used your car to rob a bank? or ran over a kid ridding a bike .. yes call the police and be prepared to push for an arrest of this guy .. family or not he is needing the reality smack up side his head ..
good luck

Old 12-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks everybody i called the cops and i don't feel bad for doing it now.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
If you have no choice as to living in the same household with this person, buy some P Js with pockets and sleep with your keys in the pocket.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Thanks everybody i called the cops and i don't feel bad for doing it now.

Good for you. Let us know how it all pans out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting