Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

I'd speak to the landlord and let him know that they are playing drums past 9:00 pm (which is what I consider a reasonable cut off time for that type of activity.) 11:00 is too late. The kids are off from school, so they might be the kids.

My neighbors kid plays drums--he's actually really good--but his parents only allow him to play from afterschool until 7:00 pm, which I think is more than reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 05:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
You are not allowed to even play drums in a house if next door can hear you. There are city codes that volume can not be over a certain limit at ANY time of the day. You have to sound proof a room for drums house or apt.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I think the first responses were more sensible. annerk, the OP's LL is out of town for two weeks over the holidays and she doesn't want to call the emergency number for a situation which may well be over before it's hardly begun and, pitt_transplant, different rules in different states but it hasn't got to that point yet.

I have a feeling that this is all going to play out just fine (pun intended) for the OP within a few days!

Old 12-28-2009, 06:38 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
In a complex we use to live in: The day after Christmas, we heard some thumping noise from our upstairs neighbor while we were watching tv in our living room. Just couldn't figure out what it was, but it was fairly loud and annoying! We had talked to the guy after he had moved in and he seemed pretty nice. He was around 45 yrs old and was going thru a divorce. Well, we asked him what the heck he was doing to make the "thumping" noise that we had been hearing.........he had bought the Wii Game for his daughter! They had set the game up in their living room (right above ours) and him, his daughter and her girlfriend were playing the bowling game. We told him how loud it was and he told us that he'd move the game to a tv in one of the bedrooms. That was cool! We had already given our 30-day notice to move.......bye, bye Wii Game and bowlers!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
In a complex we use to live in: The day after Christmas, we heard some thumping noise from our upstairs neighbor while we were watching tv in our living room. Just couldn't figure out what it was, but it was fairly loud and annoying! We had talked to the guy after he had moved in and he seemed pretty nice. He was around 45 yrs old and was going thru a divorce. Well, we asked him what the heck he was doing to make the "thumping" noise that we had been hearing.........he had bought the Wii Game for his daughter! They had set the game up in their living room (right above ours) and him, his daughter and her girlfriend were playing the bowling game. We told him how loud it was and he told us that he'd move the game to a tv in one of the bedrooms. That was cool! We had already given our 30-day notice to move.......bye, bye Wii Game and bowlers!
Have you always been unhappy where you live?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Drums ----------------- OMG

In my child house (they were all duplexes), the house next to ours, the 2 boys had drums and electric guitars. They played them for about 10 years. You will never know how much you hate drums till you have neighbors that have them. In the summer they would have the basement windows open, imagine.......
.....and they were nice people too, but.
Luckily, the fathers brother died and left them money and they moved to another state.

The happiest day was when I was washing the dining room windows and saw a strange lady with a clip board in their back yard, i called my mother and said I think they are moving, we were like yeah baby!!!.......then my mom found out from the grapevine the whole story.
so drums with our family is a definate NO No...............I hate them.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think the first responses were more sensible. annerk, the OP's LL is out of town for two weeks over the holidays and she doesn't want to call the emergency number for a situation which may well be over before it's hardly begun and, pitt_transplant, different rules in different states but it hasn't got to that point yet.

I have a feeling that this is all going to play out just fine (pun intended) for the OP within a few days!
Its really pretty much like that everywhere. If you are making noise that is above conversation or traffic level you go over the acceptable decible level for the property's law. Its why real musicians soundproof or get a practice space.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Smart musicians like to rent single family detached houses that are a little farther apart than normal. Really smart ones with the means to do so BUY such houses when that makes sense.

When these sorts of issues come up I like to file it away for those that claim "renting is wonderful"...

The only things you can do is try to remain calm and be business-like. Before you crumble it is a good idea to research local ordinances and be prepared to follow the normal channels to get those enforced BEFORE you "lose it" -- those scenes that happen with a t-shirt clad enraged man on a reality show having to be restrained by the cops generally start out in a similar way and then deteriorate rapidly. You really do not want to lose your cool and end up "on tape"...

Old 12-28-2009, 03:32 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
When people know that they live in an apartment above someone and KNOW they are running, jumping and thumping around......yes, wife and I have been unhappy at the last two apartment complexes we've lived in! Consideration is all that people who live below someone asks for.........just what the "H" is wrong with that????????? Due to physical limitations, not everyone can live in a top apartment and walk up stairs to get there!!!
We aren't unhappy at all now. In fact, we just signed another 10 month lease! No one lives above us and it is so, so, so nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Have you always been unhappy where you live?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Smart musicians like to rent single family detached houses that are a little farther apart than normal. Really smart ones with the means to do so BUY such houses when that makes sense.

When these sorts of issues come up I like to file it away for those that claim "renting is wonderful"...

The only things you can do is try to remain calm and be business-like. Before you crumble it is a good idea to research local ordinances and be prepared to follow the normal channels to get those enforced BEFORE you "lose it" -- those scenes that happen with a t-shirt clad enraged man on a reality show having to be restrained by the cops generally start out in a similar way and then deteriorate rapidly. You really do not want to lose your cool and end up "on tape"...
Ha ha! This has me cracking up! No, we're definitely not the enraged, t-shirt-clad-in-the-winter type.

The drums have possibly already begun to lose their novelty. They will play for five or ten minutes at a time, then they seem to lose interest and find something else to do. Phew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting