Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 10:38 PM

52 posts, read 153,515 times

Advertisements

This is the first time renting a house for me. It's always been apartment units but now I want to live in a house. Difference is that some of the utilities have been covered in apartment units but for a house, I am responsible for everything.

There's one particular house i am interested in and I want to make sure that I have all the expenses covered. The house is 1200sq upper floor and 1000sq basement. 5 bedrooms, and 5 people living there.

Rent= $1200
Utilities:
Cable tv & internet = $50
Water = 100
Gas = 200
Electricity=100
Total: $1650
Do I have to pay extra for garbage pickup?

Do the numbers look right? Also, am I forgetting something?
Note: This is Western Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Even knowing what typical Utilities cost in Canada is not of much help...

Each home and the people that occupy it are different...

Here the Utility companies will often provide a range or you might have luck speaking to the former tenants...

As a property manager... I can attest to the fact of widely different bills for the same one bedroom unit... GAS and ELECTRIC $50 in winter... next Tenant over $300 in winter... next tenant after evicting the last one... $60 in winter.

Same heater, same CA weather in all cases...

In terms of who pays for what... it is whatever agreement you and the owner decide... I always provide garbage service for two reasons... many areas here will put a lien on the property for unpaid garbage and I don't want any excuse for trash accumulating.

It's good you are thinking about these expenses now... I would imagine heat to be the big variable.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Ultrarunner is on the money. The territory in which I live charges amongst the highest (if not THE highest) utility rates of anywhere under the US flag but I reduced my consumption almost a third by implementing many simple energy-saving measures. I gradually replaced all the regular light bulbs with low-energy alternatives both inside and outside, I shut off A/C units when I don't really need them running, installed low-flush WCs (you can achieve the same effect by putting a brick in the tank), installed low-flow shower heads, use dishwater to water the plants, run the washing machine only with a full load and on cold wash, hang out clothes to dry rather than use the dryer (obviously you'd have a problem doing that in your winters!), keep the temperature on the water heater at hot but not steaming and generally preserve as much as I possibly can. There's a lot you can do to keep your costs to a minimum wherever you live

Good luck and enjoy your new home!

Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
With that many people, I'm guessing you are underestimating some of those bills. However, as others have said, there are many factors that effect this:
1) Location (climate and local energy market)
2) Personal comfort habits (preferred temps, long/short showers etc)
3) Energy efficiency of appliances
5) Energy efficiency of structure (check windows and insulation)
Something else you are not figuring into those numbers is yard maintenence including watering. In most cases you will be responsible for this or at very least watering.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:50 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,183 times
It varries alot. Best to ask the LL what costs in the past have been. Houses are generally a lot more than apts. My sis lives in a large apt, pays between 20-50/ month for gas/elec & that's her only utility. We live in a small house, and we pay between $75-$250 for G & E, + $45/mo for water/trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting