Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times

Advertisements

Deal Killers for the Discriminating Landlord

I keep to this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
I'll put the link in my rental folder...

Right now it's hard to rent here....seems people have no money for the deposit...I will not rent without the deposit up front..

Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
How exactly does a LL know if a prospective tenant has an alcohol or drug problem? Short of them snorting coke off your desk or stumbling into your office reeking of booze, there's no way for a landlord to actually know.

The number of spelling and grammatical errors in that publication is appalling especially from someone who quite clearly thinks they are clever.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
How exactly does a LL know if a prospective tenant has an alcohol or drug problem? Short of them snorting coke off your desk or stumbling into your office reeking of booze, there's no way for a landlord to actually know.

The number of spelling and grammatical errors in that publication is appalling especially from someone who quite clearly thinks they are clever.
perhaps if you have a sheriffs website you can try to look them up if they had any warrants or pervious arrests for DUI or drugs...

I check that website for their previous address and outstanding warrants and check if their DL is valid...My tenants was valid when he moved in but soon after it was suspended...due to not showing up in court for outstanding tickets...

Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,478 times
I disagree with not renting because of criminal history. I believe that it is discrimination.

If a person has paid his debt to society, unless the law says he can't be in a certain area (ex. child predators) their criminal record should have no bearing.

People wonder why the recidivism rates are so high, it's partially because people have such a hard time starting over because no one will give them a chance.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I disagree with not renting because of criminal history. I believe that it is discrimination.

If a person has paid his debt to society, unless the law says he can't be in a certain area (ex. child predators) their criminal record should have no bearing.

People wonder why the recidivism rates are so high, it's partially because people have such a hard time starting over because no one will give them a chance.
So when we don't commit a crime we are discriminating against the ones who do commit a crime...just to put a light on it from the other side....is that how you feel...do you think that a honest person that is homeless should get a free place to stay in a prison to stay warm and get a free meal, etc...ohhh my G_d, that is discrimination according to you!

Sounds weird isn't it....

You are free to rent to all criminals in the world and let us do our own thing or are you going to pay us when the criminals end up leaving and distroying the place and/or leaving without paying...? Most criminals have a bad credit score and nothing will keep them to walk away easier than a honest person...

Old 02-08-2010, 04:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,211 times
I was a landlord for a few years. The best tenants I had just filed bankruptcy before moving in. They were very polite, fixed minor things on their own, paid on time and kept the place clean. Sometimes you have to go with your gut.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Don't ya love on the HGTV shows when the possible next tennant's say, Oh this is a great place to have parties and entertain.

I am not a LL, but I think I would seriously frown on that.... LOL, because as a tennant, I don't want to hear a party !

Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
This list is pretty stupid.

Bankruptcy
Do you know what a person has to go through before deciding to declare bankruptcy? It can sometimes be years of dodging creditors and bill collectors. It is a process that teaches an individual how to get around paying creditors. It is not a pleasant experience, and it usually educates and hardens a person towards all creditors.
The author conveniently ignores the fact that most bankruptcies are from divorce, job loss, or medical bills. Nah, let's just paint them all with a broad brush that they're all scam artists.

I don’t mean to say people who have gone bankrupt are not nice people or will not be good tenants! I mean to say that I prefer not to rent to people who are well educated on filing bankruptcy and are not afraid to damage their credit.
People who are well educated on bankruptcy doesn't do so frivolously like you think. Also, their credit score improves after filing because the person's debt is zero.

Prior Eviction
Any tenant who has been evicted probably has very bad credit and may feel confident in gaining a few months free rent in an eviction should the need arise. true, although that has nothing to do with bad credit

Criminal History
I’ve been asked by a few landlords, “Am I allowed to discriminate against someone with a criminal history?” Of course you can! Yes, it is legal to decline an applicant because they have a criminal record.
It may be politically correct to decline criminals, but Criminals are not a protected class…. Yet.
Criminy, use some judgment. It's a crime to drive 45 in a 40 zone.

No Money
Are you a landlord who needs to collect the rent? Or are you a charity who takes in unfortunates who don’t have all the required move-in money?
If you want to survive in the landlord business, you need tenants who can afford to move in and pay the rent every month.
It is a major RED FLAG when a prospect is unable to provide you with the necessary security deposit and rent.
obviously

Bad Credit
What is the purpose of running a credit report on a prospective tenant? You’d be surprised at how many landlords run credit reports that come up BAD and still accept the applicant anyway. For me, bad credit history is a sure denial. Otherwise, why bother running a credit report?
So that you can see if debts are for prior rentals. Trying being a landlord instead of a loan officer.

Tenant Unable or Unwilling to provide satisfactory references
If they’re not willing or able to comply with your rental application, why in the world would you expect them to follow the rules of your lease?
Depends on how much value you put into references.

Tenant unwilling to agree with your lease
That’s a no-brainer. DECLINED!
That's cheating, just for the purpose of making a list. Is it even possible to decline someone who won't sign a lease?

Bad Attitude
yeah

Alcohol and/or Drug Problem
I know you want to be fair and help people, but steer clear of these kinds of problems. You are looking for a responsible tenant who you can rely on.
You drug test your prospective tenants?

Smoking
This is a judgment call. I try to keep my properties smoke free whenever possible. I find it is difficult to rent a unit to non-smokers that had smokers in it before. Rental re-prep involves a vacancy and is usually more painting and cleaning, and still may not eliminate the odor.
ok

Pets
This is also a judgment call. I try to keep my properties pet free. I learned that it can be difficult to rent after a pet was there, for allergy reasons, odors, etc. Rental re-prep usually includes more painting and cleaning and often new carpeting, and still may not eliminate all the odors.
On occasion when I have great applicants and have inspected the previous home and the pet, I may make an exception, but I am still reminded of the immortal words of my landlord mentor, Nick Koon: "No dog every improved the value of a rental property."
ok, although refusing pets will somewhat decrease the value of your rental property because you're going to have to lower the rent to get a tenant, and poor people living in your house will drag down property values

Tenant Unable or Unwilling to see the rental personally or meet landlord before application being accepted
Big RED FLAG. Do a search of "Scams" in the LPA Landlord Q&A Forum.
Even if the tenant is legit, you should not be deprived of the right to do a proper screening, including the opportunity to meet the prospect so you can decide if you will be comfortable renting to him or her.
that seems pretty picky to call it a "red flag", unless your property is in the ghetto, in which case meeting with someone first is important

To top it off, the author didn't say anything about the tenant's income! Is it on a hidden page on that web site or is the author some kind of moron?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
This list is pretty stupid.

Bankruptcy
Do you know what a person has to go through before deciding to declare bankruptcy? It can sometimes be years of dodging creditors and bill collectors. It is a process that teaches an individual how to get around paying creditors. It is not a pleasant experience, and it usually educates and hardens a person towards all creditors.
The author conveniently ignores the fact that most bankruptcies are from divorce, job loss, or medical bills. Nah, let's just paint them all with a broad brush that they're all scam artists.

I don’t mean to say people who have gone bankrupt are not nice people or will not be good tenants! I mean to say that I prefer not to rent to people who are well educated on filing bankruptcy and are not afraid to damage their credit.
People who are well educated on bankruptcy doesn't do so frivolously like you think. Also, their credit score improves after filing because the person's debt is zero.

Prior Eviction
Any tenant who has been evicted probably has very bad credit and may feel confident in gaining a few months free rent in an eviction should the need arise. true, although that has nothing to do with bad credit

Criminal History
I’ve been asked by a few landlords, “Am I allowed to discriminate against someone with a criminal history?” Of course you can! Yes, it is legal to decline an applicant because they have a criminal record.
It may be politically correct to decline criminals, but Criminals are not a protected class…. Yet.
Criminy, use some judgment. It's a crime to drive 45 in a 40 zone.

No Money
Are you a landlord who needs to collect the rent? Or are you a charity who takes in unfortunates who don’t have all the required move-in money?
If you want to survive in the landlord business, you need tenants who can afford to move in and pay the rent every month.
It is a major RED FLAG when a prospect is unable to provide you with the necessary security deposit and rent.
obviously

Bad Credit
What is the purpose of running a credit report on a prospective tenant? You’d be surprised at how many landlords run credit reports that come up BAD and still accept the applicant anyway. For me, bad credit history is a sure denial. Otherwise, why bother running a credit report?
So that you can see if debts are for prior rentals. Trying being a landlord instead of a loan officer.

Tenant Unable or Unwilling to provide satisfactory references
If they’re not willing or able to comply with your rental application, why in the world would you expect them to follow the rules of your lease?
Depends on how much value you put into references.

Tenant unwilling to agree with your lease
That's cheating, just for the purpose of making a list. Is it even possible to decline someone who won't sign a lease?

Bad Attitude
yeah

Alcohol and/or Drug Problem
I know you want to be fair and help people, but steer clear of these kinds of problems. You are looking for a responsible tenant who you can rely on.
You drug test your prospective tenants?

Smoking
This is a judgment call. I try to keep my properties smoke free whenever possible. I find it is difficult to rent a unit to non-smokers that had smokers in it before. Rental re-prep involves a vacancy and is usually more painting and cleaning, and still may not eliminate the odor.
ok

Pets
This is also a judgment call. I try to keep my properties pet free. I learned that it can be difficult to rent after a pet was there, for allergy reasons, odors, etc. Rental re-prep usually includes more painting and cleaning and often new carpeting, and still may not eliminate all the odors.
On occasion when I have great applicants and have inspected the previous home and the pet, I may make an exception, but I am still reminded of the immortal words of my landlord mentor, Nick Koon: "No dog every improved the value of a rental property."
ok, although refusing pets will somewhat decrease the value of your rental property because you're going to have to lower the rent to get a tenant, and poor people living in your house will drag down property values

Tenant Unable or Unwilling to see the rental personally or meet landlord before application being accepted
Big RED FLAG. Do a search of "Scams" in the LPA Landlord Q&A Forum.
Even if the tenant is legit, you should not be deprived of the right to do a proper screening, including the opportunity to meet the prospect so you can decide if you will be comfortable renting to him or her.
that seems pretty picky to call it a "red flag", unless your property is in the ghetto, in which case meeting with someone first is important

To top it off, the author didn't say anything about the tenant's income! Is it on a hidden page on that web site or is the author some kind of moron?
To call this list stupid is for me a reason to believe you just writing it to say something. Specially that last remark about the income a tenant has....the list is about reason for a red flag not to take you by the hand and tell you who you should rent to or who not, but signs that should be a warning signal.

Criminal record...you mentioned driving over 40 miles per hour is a crime, well let me tell you that I think it is ridiculous to drive 40 miles over the speed limit and a danger to many, and I rather don't have a person like that. Most people had in their life time of driving ones or more times a ticket, but a criminal record for driving is for sure something different than a speeding ticket or a seatbelt ticket...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting