Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 12:49 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times

Advertisements

I live in the Virginia Suburbs of Washington D.C. where we have been experiencing some above normal snowfall this season. Combined over the last few weeks we have had close to 4 feet of snow fall. The snow has been sitting on our roofs, the snow has began to melt and recently I noticed my wall was leaking(in a 4th/top floor condo) . I am not sure if has been leaking for a while on not. I notified the landlord as soon as I noticed. It pours in like a waterfall now and the wall is falling apart. There are cracks on the wall going from the top to the bottom and sides of the widnow also there is a crack above the inside of the window where the water comes in. There is a crack about an inch and a half wide where it comes in. I currently have a bucket and plastic bags to help protect my carper. After calling my landlord (rental company mgr) he called the HOA Manager (the hoa is responsible on fixing it because it is an external matter). The hoa mgr said he was going to have someone look at it Friday. Friday has come and past and no one has come to look at it. My landlords say they want it fixed asap. I pay $1025 for this place, I know its probably an act of nature but I want it fixed. What should I do? As a renter what are my right here if its not fixed soon? What would you do? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
This is probably going to be a "giant hassle" between the unit owner and the HOA, as the water is probably coming into the unit through the roof, which is a "common element" and then damaging the wall inside the unit which is clearly the part that is bugging you.

The landlord and the HOA will have to settle this before the landlord spends any of his own money...

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Considering the severe weather you are having and the timimg of a weekend, I would think to just wait. The LL has already acknowledged the problem and wants it fixed. It's up to the LL to get someone there and that could be the difficulty. Make sure the LL knows it was not looked at and continue to keep in touch to see what is happening. I'm afraid your going to have to be patient on the fix.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times
Thanks for the replys, I pretty much feel the same way as the feedback I have gotten. I did email my prop.mgr/landlord and let him know it wasnt looked at yet as well as sent him pictures of the wall. I agree I will have to be patient....... sometimes that is easier said than done, knowing that I have had several issues with this place since moving in only 5 months ago... Is 7 more months ever going to get here, so I can get out? lol Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Areas not designed for significant snow can have problems like this... almost sounds like an Ice Dam and the water is ponding up though the shingles.

Since a "State of Emergency" was declared... expect everything to take longer.

Is the unit still habitable?

If not, now might be a good time to move if you are inclined to do so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting