Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Go to the PO, fill out a change of address for him, and have his mail shipped to the other side of the planet...! A great trick for those you don't care for.

Doing what you say will definately bring in a swarm of postal inspectors and bring legal charges against the unlawful event.

I was a manager for many many years in the USPS and I would say to do the right thing and stop arguing...If you have mail coming to your address and the person does not reside there you have the legitimate right to rubbber band the mail and write "No such person" on a piece of paper attached to the front letter for the postperson to take it back and they will "return to sender"... You can write on it too but it is easier to attach a piece of paper.

You should call the Post Office and ask to speak with the carrier who delivers your mail. Tell him/her who really resides in the home/residence and tell him to not deliver any other name to that address because you will not accept it. When the mailperson arrives give him/her a signed letter as to whom resides at your address. You will have covered all your bases and will be in the clear from further problems. If a sub carrier comes and delivers mail that doesn't belong to you then send it back with the regular carrier a following day or call the USPS and tell them you are still receiving mail that does not belong to you.. Period......

Last edited by Synergy1; 03-08-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 PM

The mailbox goes with the rental not the owner. LL can have 50 keys but he is not permitted to accesc it since he has the unit under a rental contract.

Owner does not have the right to access someone elses mail and it can be a Federal offense if he does. The owner is the one who can opt for a PO Box with name/names on it but first he has to prove to the USPS Clerk that he gets mail there such as a water bill in his name etc. If he doesn't hold legal residence there I am bemused at how can he even hold a PO Box in his a rental unit.

I would deny him a PO Box and send his mail back to sender./ Of course the USPS first needs to hold the mail for 10 days after taping a yellow ticket to the mailbox saying the mail is being held at the USPS facility and the addressee will need to go there to pick it up after submitting proper ID to the window clerk.

If the mail is not picked up then after 10 days the USPS has the right to Return to Sender (RTS).
The mail is sent to Central Markup and sent back to the sender.....

Old 03-08-2010, 09:33 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,844 times
Bet youre looking forward to moving in a few months or whenever..! What a scummy guy..

Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 AM

146 posts, read 711,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Backandforth, have you explored the idea of asking the Post Office for a separate box? Given the myriad of details about this situation and the fact that you wonder if the LL will do something with your mail, etc, I think it's worth the request to the Post Office. If they are assiduous about the issues here, which are protection and privacy of your incoming mail, they may consent to do this. It's worth a try, I'd think That's what I would do.

Do they know about the negligent, goofy ruling by the judge?
I'll find out about the separate box as I think it's a good suggestion. It looks as though the cluster box unit has more mailboxes on it than there are houses on my street, so presumably I can take up one of them.

I also appreciate the suggestion of having the post office hold my landlord's mail after I tell them he doesn't live there. The problem I foresee is that he will indeed bring a utility bill (water or trash, for example) which he pays (because he's the landlord and those utilities are included in my rent, as per my lease), as "proof" of residence. I'm also a little worried about so obviously undermining the judge's ruling, even though she was wrong to make me give the landlord a key. Finally, the LL is dumb enough to start messing with my mail if he finds I've been messing with his, even though all I'd be doing is having his mail returned to sender. I know he could get in trouble for tampering with my mail, but how easy will it be to prove that one piece of mail or another never arrived, especially if it's not something I expect on a regular basis, like a monthly utility bill? Probably not very.

Just three more months... three more months...

Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 AM

The judge has no juristiction on asking you to provide the LL with a key to your cluster mailbox. It is usually the rental agency who holds the keys and provides the mailperson with a weekly list of who is where on the boxes within the rental units.

I agree with you that the LL is making a real mess out of a simple solvable problem he has generated... One more thing.. Please be sure you take pictures of everything along with inviting the owner to perform final inspection of your place prior to you giving back the keys... They may charge you with undue damage and keep a part of all of your security deposit....

You are right that 3 months will go very fast and good luck......

Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Start marking all his mail, "return to sender, not at this address." He doesn't live there, therefore his mail can be returned.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Start marking all his mail, "return to sender, not at this address." He doesn't live there, therefore his mail can be returned.
Already addressed and discussed in previous posts.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
I think someone could make a pretty good horror movie called "The Landlord"

Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 PM

146 posts, read 711,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I think someone could make a pretty good horror movie called "The Landlord"
No kidding. I've had so much drama at that house, for a while I considered installing hidden cameras, not to incriminate my landlord or my housemates, but to upload to YouTube for posterity.

If not a horror movie, there is definitely a niche for landlord/tenant reality television.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backandforth83 View Post
No kidding. I've had so much drama at that house, for a while I considered installing hidden cameras, not to incriminate my landlord or my housemates, but to upload to YouTube for posterity.

If not a horror movie, there is definitely a niche for landlord/tenant reality television.

my landlord is driving me crazy...only 4 more days left. if i stayed there much longer i'd probably become a pill popper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting