Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

As of 1/1/11 the rent control fee in yucaipa will decrease from $3.56 to $2.77 month. Thats a .79 cent decrease. Unfortunately though next summer my space rent will once again increase (UGH!). I feel i pay too much as it is for a small lot in a mobile home park.

We still pay the paramedic fee (52.00 yr) & thats bs. Fortunately though in yucaipa we dont pay city & utility tax like many crook cities charge like scummy san bernardino.

So their is a upside & downside to living in yucaipa + our winters here are cooler (2500+ feet in elevation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Often it increases less if you renew with a 2 year lease than a 1 year lease.
usually it increases more with a 2 year..we were all old fooled for many years here in nyc thinking a 2 year was cheaper then a one year on the standard nyc rent stabilized apartment lease until we actually tried to figure out the numbers...

what your actually doing when you figure it out is paying a premium for the assurance that the following years rent wont go up more than the 2 years rent plus a PREMIUM for locking it in. . with the typical 2-3% rent increases we have seen for many years renewing the 1 year leases is cheaper then signing a 2 year.

typically they take 2x the first years rent and add a premium to it. the rent has to be more then 2x the rent plus that premium for the tenant to come out ahead. the rent increases have not done that in nyc now for decades. they have stayed in the 2-3% range and you need that 2nd year to go up way more to win.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-19-2010 at 06:26 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM

274 posts, read 1,218,552 times
If our rent goes up %5 we will move, as happy as we are in our home. I will not support greed. There are fair landlords and there are greedy landlords.Vote with your feet. In LA there are masses of rentals available and amazing deals to be had.So you go elsewhere if people try to squeeze you.Of course greed is a common human characteristic but some people inc landlords manage to control that impulse. These are the people one hopes to rent from.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Rent will always be expensive where I live...the 'perks' of living in a college town. Those kids are willing to pay RIDICULOUS prices to be near the University so the general public gets to suffer.

People are renting 30' travel trailers parked on their driveways for $700 a month...studios? $1,000+ a month. Rarely are utilities included. I searched for nearly 4 years before I found the place I'm moving into next month...it's hard to find a place that will let you have goats

Regarding rent control... we don't have it here as far as I know, and at the place I'm currently at the LL has never even mentioned raising our rent. He could probably get a lot more for our house too... he's just a nice guy who understands how ridiculous rents are in the area and tries to be affordable.

At my last house I negotiated a $400 a month DECREASE in our monthly rent because I compared it to comparable houses in the area and found he was charting WAY too much and I threatened to leave.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:52 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
My rent has been going up naturally as I moved from a single room to a one-bedroom apt to a 2-bedroom house due to increasing needs.. total increase from $700 to $1300 since 2006, but well worth the extra dough.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:00 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I just dont understand why rents are so damn high in ca. I dont own the land im on yet i own the mh. I just never lived in a place where rent is increased annually no matter what. My rent increase is based on the cpi (consumer price index).

I do despise greedy landlords (and utility co, politicians, ins co, govt, etc) & when their time comes im quite sure they will burn in hell.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I just dont understand why rents are so damn high in ca. I dont own the land im on yet i own the mh. I just never lived in a place where rent is increased annually no matter what. My rent increase is based on the cpi (consumer price index).

I do despise greedy landlords (and utility co, politicians, ins co, govt, etc) & when their time comes im quite sure they will burn in hell.
It seems to me that having a rate increase pegged to the CPI would be a very fair way to do it. What is happening to the property taxes for the land you are renting? Do the people you are renting from have other expenses --- for example maintenance of streets or paying for lighting? If it is a park, are there employees to be paid? Would you rather have a larger increase every two years? Have you considered purchasing your own land?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
Thumbs down Crazy Rent Increases.

On my door this morning Sunday September 25th I found a letter attached from the Rental Office for Rent Increase from 1309 to 1445 for a 15th month lease or 1560.00 for an 8month least or 1860.00 for a month to month lease. It gives me seven days to respond whether I accept, but I have to give them sixty days notice if I want to leave, hmmm. Now seven days from now runs into the start of my sixty day notice. Should they not have given me a sixty day increase notice also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting