Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM

138 posts, read 512,035 times

Advertisements

I have been renting a raised ranch with a finished basement for 9 months. The house was rehabbed before we moved in. We found out from our neighbors that the broiler went out with the previous tenets while they were out of town in the winter. The pipes froze and burst and thats why the house was rehabbed. I was aggravated to find this out from neighbors and not my landlord himself. When I approached him about it he said, well its no secret. Well then why did YOU not tell me? Integrity down the drain if you ask me.

anyway a few months later right as it starts to get cold he gets the broiler replaced (uh would have done this first!) anyway the installer messed up and water came in from the garage and into the basement. The carpet/pad was soaked. My LL went NUTS on this poor guy, I mean yelling and yelling here. eventually the carpet tacking and pad were replaced and the carpet cleaned at the installers expense.

Now twice in the past 2 weeks with rain the basment is flooding all along the perimiter of the basement. When we called to tell him he was like, what do you want from me? really, um how about a basement that does not flood? he said in the past 10 years he has owned the house it has never flooded. We had to pull up the carpet and pad and run dehumidifers and fans for days and then put it back together. then 2 weeks passes and it rains again and happens again. He mentioned last time that his builder during the rehab told him not to put carpet down there and he did anyway. I told him that the flooring needs to be replaced or the basement properly sealed, that I do not have time to rip up carpet and run fans and stuff for a week every time it rains a lot. again, he wants us to rip it up to dry it again and then get it cleaned. The wood tacking is so wet its black. We are getting uncomfortable having our belongings down there. I just don't know what to do. everyone I talk to thinks he should be helping to solve the problem instead of yelling at us and the rain. Am I asking to much here? I just feel like if it was my house I would want to solve the problem so it does not happen no matter how much it rains, especially when it is a finished basement.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting