Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,945,815 times

Advertisements

Actually, that's exactly what we're doing (relocating to another state, that is) ... we have a trailer attached to our car and ready to go. You are correct that California is more expensive, and we can't make the same living as we could a couple of years ago. I'm looking at Pennsylvania, as my career needs me to be in somewhat close proximity to a major city. My husband is a home remodeler and it looks like that industry has not tanked there to the extent it did in Southern CA/Los Angeles.

I was thinking of using the actual tax return papers as proof that we do have an active income (because it shows reported income, as a sole proprietor, in lieu of pay stubs) - meanwhile we are applying for as many jobs as we can find in the Philly region, although it's a catch 22, because it's hard to find jobs if you aren't physically in the area and we need a roof over our heads when we get there, and we need jobs to accomplish that. Phew!

We do have some money saved up, we would be willing to pay a few months in advance - of course we wouldn't want to live there for free - and I couldn't stand the stress after the last couple of years. It really is a horrible way to live, to have to stress that you can't make the rent.

If tax returns are not acceptable, how do self employed/contracted people prove their earning ability? Perhaps we are looking at a sublet or something until we can secure full time employment (we do actually work - we're in this pickle because my husband's rates have gone from 35 an hour to 15 or so in the last couple of years, and it's all contracted) although I really don't want to tie our ready cash up in a security deposit for somewhere temporary when we may need it, and I am anxious to get settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,251 times
Ok, two more questions / statements.

1.) Does you trailer have hook ups for electricity and water? While I know it isn't idea it could save you a ton of money to rent out a spot at a KOA campground or something similar. I've had plenty of hippie type friends that have done that a lot. I'm guessing it probably varies by location for rental rates and what they allow though. Anyway, it's an alternate option until you get steady income / find an actual place to rent.

2.) I'm not sure if you both are still wanting to do contract type of work or are looking to get into a different field of work? I'll let you know though that the in the Northeast / Midwest Unions rule everything pretty much. You might have some stiff competition / be 100% blackballed from working in those type of jobs without being in a Union. My brother is an Industrial Electrician and works on contract. It's very mixed with Union jobs or not in the Southeast, but he's told me he pretty much would never get a job up North without being part of the Union (which he is). Just another thing to think about.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM

That would be great, but it's not that type of trailer, it's a cargo trailer with all our stuff in it (sorry I didn't make that clear).

That's very interesting, regarding the unions in the northeast. We were planning on getting him a job with an established home remodeling company as an actual employee, as we are sick of playing the freelance game, it's just too unstable at the moment. Thanks for that info, I was not aware of the union situation. He's been a carpenter all his life so while he's open to other lines of work but he's super qualified to do what he does and doesn't have experience in anything else. Do you have to be in a union in order to get a company job, or just contract jobs? It has not been an issue down here, so I don't really know anything about it.

I work on a project by project basis in the music industry as a recording engineer, we don't have a union, however the music business has also taken a turn for the worst lately.

One of our criteria for finding a new place to settle is the school districts, we have a 3 year old and the prospect of her going to school in LA is pretty scary. So we were hoping to find somewhere in the suburbs of Philly to eventually end up and make a new life. We can't afford to wait for things in CA to turn around.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
You may want to look into PRBC.

PRBC is an 'alternative' credit bureau that lets you report 'other' accounts such as utilities and rent--anything that is a recurring payment. You submit the names of these accounts, they verify them, and add them to your credit report.

A lot of landlords expect you to furnish your own credit report for them, and you could provide one from PRBC that will show your reliability as a tenant, to outweigh your credit card payment history. Even if a LL habitually obtains their own copies from one of the three traditional credit bureaus, you may be able to furnish a PRBC report as a supplement to your application.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Yeah, I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Unions other than what my brother has told me regarding his situation. Most likely if he did get hired on with an established company there I would think there shouldn't be any problems. You might go on the Pennsylvania boards and ask around though. I'm sure someone on there can give you much better advice regarding that. The Unions might not have any bearing on your situation at all. I just wanted to bring it up because it could be something that could be a factor up there. I'd just hate for you to move all way across the country and then have to contend with something you didn't even put into the equation. Kodaka's advice sounds pretty good too. Anything you can do to show a pro-active approach will be helpful.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 PM

Yes, thanks kodaka I had no idea that company even existed. It sounds worth a shot, for sure.

sjuraud, I appreciate you mentioning it because it's definitely something to look into, we've got enough to deal with without being blindsided by something we'd never even considered. Very helpful indeed.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,865 times
Talk with apartment owners who self-manage their units instead of hiring an outside real estate company. They tend to be much more lenient, especially if they have more than one unit vacant. Also you can do what my newly divorced friend with a shopaholic ex & iffy credit does: prepay rent 2 months ahead.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:19 AM

I agree with smokingGun also. Most apartments complexes owned by large corporations aren't going to cut any slack at all. Most require that each tenant have an income of twice the rent each (at least here in Atlanta they do)! So you are going to be better off with a private landlord or a manager of a smaller complex / duplex. You should check around on craigslist, trulia's rental section and probably the classified ads for few of the newspapers for the area that you're looking to move to.

Just wondering, what made you pick Philly?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuraud View Post
I agree with smokingGun also. Most apartments complexes owned by large corporations aren't going to cut any slack at all. Most require that each tenant have an income of twice the rent each (at least here in Atlanta they do)! So you are going to be better off with a private landlord or a manager of a smaller complex / duplex. You should check around on craigslist, trulia's rental section and probably the classified ads for few of the newspapers for the area that you're looking to move to.
I'm probably only reiterating what's been said so many times on this forum where renting is concerned but renting from a private owner is, as far as I'm concerned, the best way to go. I've been both LL and tenant.

As a private LL I certainly made mistakes and quickly learned from them. Already familiar with leases and contractual agreements in general I quickly learned to make even a month to month very explicit in order to cover all conceivable bases and that stood me in good stead when disputes arose.

As a tenant I also learned a lot over many, many years. When I read all these issues concerning corporate-managed residential rentals I cringe. So many rules and regulations and although I understand from whence they come, the bottom line is that the tenant HAS to properly read the lease before signing and understand exactly what they're agreeing to.

Private LLs are somewhat more flexible and will sometimes take a chance on a tenant with less than desirable credit but may require more of a down payment. As a private LL I always required first month, last month and a security deposit equal to one month's rent. This wasn't the norm then but became more of a norm and a protective proactive measure in the transient society I live in and obviously is becoming more the norm stateside where the economy has necessitated it.

FinsterRufus I don't think you'll have a problem but due diligence is always required. Know what you're looking for, read the lease agreement and make sure it covers every contingency and, if it doesn't, ask for particulars. If you and the LL agree to an amendment to the standard lease make sure that the lease is either re-written or a lease amendment is attached to the standard lease and duly signed by both parties.

The fact that your present LL will give you an excellent recommendation is very good. If you can get him or her to write you a letter of recommendation "to whom it may concern" then even better and that letter should include contact numbers, email, etc. so that the prospective LL can easily verify.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Yes, STT, I think you're completely right - besides the fact that we really don't fit the standard criteria that large complexes would be looking for in a tenant I also don't think think they're a good fit for us, being in our forties with a 3 year old we really don't have much patience for partying college students upstairs.

Our previous landlord was a private owner and we took care of the property and fixed any maintenance issues ourselves, it would be ideal to have another situation like that. I think your idea of having a written reference from her is a fantastic I and I shall ask for one asap. Also, it seems to be the norm in PA for 1st last and security.

I also think smokingGun's friend's plan of paying two months ahead is good too. (poor guy, I'm really glad I'm not divorced and going through this)

sjuraud, I picked Philly as a base for now - we have a couple of reasons, and I did a lot of research on the regional boards (you can get really great info here, as I'm sure you all know ) .

I have to be in proximity to a either LA or New York as most of the major record labels and music management companies are based in those cities, and I need to be able to have meetings with people - so proximity to NY is vital to my work. I researched every place within a 3 hour driving radius of NYC, Connecticut, Upstate NY, Rhode Island etc, and decided Philly had the best combination of not too expensive rents, good schools (just outside Philly, not actually in the city) and based on craigslist postings, the most home remodeling jobs. I'm not limiting my search for jobs to Philly alone, I'm also applying in South Jersey and Delaware as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting