Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:05 PM

9 posts, read 9,822 times

Advertisements

I know I have to figure the actual amount myself. But I am interested in what other people have done, and why, and how it worked out for them. I think that talking to others who are wondering the same thing could help me figure it out. I have not been able to really figure it out on my own, after having read several books and lots of web sites. I know that in the end it's up to me and I have to live with the decision. I suspect that the answer will come to me at the right time. But meanwhile, I am very curious what others think about this, and how much they have saved.

I realize that some think you need millions, and some think no amount is enough. But as I said, I have been living on under $30k. Also, I think I could probably get various kinds of part time work if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,443,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
I know I have to figure the actual amount myself. But I am interested in what other people have done, and why, and how it worked out for them. I think that talking to others who are wondering the same thing could help me figure it out. I have not been able to really figure it out on my own, after having read several books and lots of web sites. I know that in the end it's up to me and I have to live with the decision. I suspect that the answer will come to me at the right time. But meanwhile, I am very curious what others think about this, and how much they have saved.

I realize that some think you need millions, and some think no amount is enough. But as I said, I have been living on under $30k. Also, I think I could probably get various kinds of part time work if necessary.
Yup!

I'm just a big fan of spreadsheets, since it helped me finally realize I'll be OK in retirement plus it helped figure out when I could

And it's no where near the "80%" that the big financial companies say I'll need.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Ok Gandalara, what did your number turn out to be? Is it for both you and your spouse, or just yourself. I am not married, so I figure my number can be a lot less than for a married couple. Although probably more than half. If a married couple needs a million, lets say, then a single person might be ok with $600k, for example. And, again, I have much less luxury than the average American seems to require. I don't even have air conditioning.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,060,594 times
Quote:
Ok Gandalara, what did your number turn out to be? Is it for both you and your spouse, or just yourself. I am not married, so I figure my number can be a lot less than for a married couple. Although probably more than half. If a married couple needs a million, lets say, then a single person might be ok with $600k, for example. And, again, I have much less luxury than the average American seems to require. I don't even have air conditioning.
I would say in retirement two can live for about 110-120% of one. Much more economical in retirement. The difference for food, clothing, second car and insurance is about it. If you have your second or both cars paid for it is the same except for insurance and other operating cost. However that being said it depends on your retirement income with the higher it is lowering the percentage increase it costs for two.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,443,598 times
Quote:
Oh, you want a straight-out number?

My numbers won't mean anything to you.

I'll have at least $400K in a safe conservative place.
I'll have a pension and SS totaling $32K.
I'll have a paid-off house that I'll sell, and move to a lower cost state.
I'll be receiving a family trust worth a minimum of $300K
Not married, no kids, and I plan on retiring at 62 - earlier if I receive the inheritance (before I want it ).

If everything went 'Poof!' and I lost the savings and trust, I could still sell the house and move. Or sell the house and travel/live in an RV

I've planned my retirement around living only on the SS and pension - my expenses are far below my income. I live a very boring happy life, not into buying the latest and greatest toy - but I do have AC!

Some people will think my numbers are more than enough, and others will think I'll be poor. What counts is that they work for me.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

I'll have at least $400K in a safe conservative place.
I'll have a pension and SS totaling $32K.
I'll have a paid-off house that I'll sell, and move to a lower cost state.
I'll be receiving a family trust worth a minimum of $300K
Not married, no kids, and I plan on retiring at 62 - earlier if I receive the inheritance (before I want it ).

If everything went 'Poof!' and I lost the savings and trust, I could still sell the house and move. Or sell the house and travel/live in an RV

I've planned my retirement around living only on the SS and pension - my expenses are far below my income. I live a very boring happy life, not into buying the latest and greatest toy - but I do have AC!

Some people will think my numbers are more than enough, and others will think I'll be poor. What counts is that they work for me.
That is a plan that works because it meets your retirement goals and is well thought out with margin for error. Because of the cash cushion you have a tremendous advantage in making it work. Because you are in a more expensive area you have the luxury to cash out and have even more flexibility. So much of retirement potential is where you lived while working and your willingness to transplant.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Yes they do. They mean that you have a lot more than me. We are all part of the same world and cannot evaluate our own situation without comparing to others. I think you have a lot more than the average American retiree, and unless your life gets less boring, you may have trouble spending it all.

But thank you for sharing the data, it helps me to figure out how I am doing. I started saving very late, so I am doing pretty well considering.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Yes they do. They mean that you have a lot more than me. We are all part of the same world and cannot evaluate our own situation without comparing to others. I think you have a lot more than the average American retiree, and unless your life gets less boring, you may have trouble spending it all.

But thank you for sharing the data, it helps me to figure out how I am doing. I started saving very late, so I am doing pretty well considering.
She would have no less trouble spending it retired than if she was working. Interests and wants are still the same with more time to want them in. We are living better retired than when we were working because we have more leisure/free time and the resources to do what we want.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
She would have no less trouble spending it retired than if she was working. Interests and wants are still the same with more time to want them in. We are living better retired than when we were working because we have more leisure/free time and the resources to do what we want.
Of course more money is always better. That goes without saying. But I have always lived simply and the things I love doing are not expensive.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
If you look at tax deferred savings ofr retirement ;the governamnt has actully discourage svings for retirement by putting lower than needed limits on saving. One of the worse they did ws change the deducutio on the amountof teh 2000 dollars on IRAs that a person got by saving. This greatly reduced what mnany contribute and some even qauite because they don't thni its worth the trouble. The government has never really encourage plai old sving accounts or CD's really.Clearly some are just not going to unless they see some clear cut advanatge on their taxes that year.

Last edited by texdav; 07-28-2010 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement