Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,018,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Why on earth would a person training in a medical field spend his/her time weeding someone's garden or fixing windows? Note that Florida law doesn't allow medical professionals in training like this to do anything except under the supervision of a licensed medical professional. IOW - if you think you're going to get any medical care from unlicensed medical professionals in training on a volunteer basis - you're dreaming. Robyn
In another scenario, if state laws allow, it could be something at a much higher, preprofessional level---living among seniors and monitoring their health for them, performing health related tasks. There is a small movement going on (as reported on a pbs special) in which a small group of seniors live together and a visiting nurse comes to their place several times a month to check on them and see if they have any special needs (this is in addition to their regular MD visits). In the right setting (say, a teaching hospital with nearby or adjacent senior center) this could be a model for studying geriatric medicine.

As for daily living tasks, a well organized college or precollege team of kids could make a nice small business (they'd have to be insured).

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-03-2010 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,425,837 times
Stealth Rabbit ~~

Thank you for the info.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,557,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
In another scenario, if state laws allow, it could be something at a much higher, preprofessional level---living among seniors and monitoring their health for them, performing health related tasks. There is a small movement going on (as reported on a pbs special) in which a small group of seniors live together and a visiting nurse comes to their place several times a month to check on them and see if they have any special needs (this is in addition to their regular MD visits). In the right setting (say, a teaching hospital with nearby or adjacent senior center) this could be a model for studying geriatric medicine.

As for daily living tasks, a well organized college or precollege team of kids could make a nice small business (they'd have to be insured).
Florida law would make your first proposal difficult/impossible in Florida. Note that I've met licensed CNAs - LPNs etc. who work 2 jobs (usually first at some facility that provides benefits - second "moonlighting" working for a private individual). But they're not cheap - and I doubt they'd be inclined to work for a big group of people.

I don't think a couple of monthly visits from a visiting nurse would make any difference. If the elderly person is pretty healthy - they mostly need help around the house with things like cooking - bathing - getting dressed - transportation - etc. It's pretty labor intensive non-professional kind of stuff. The kind of stuff a live-in home health care aide did for my grandmother for about a decade before she died (note that my grandmother lived to be 103 - and that Medicaid in New York paid for the aide - no wonder the state is going broke! - also my grandmother lived in an apartment - no house maintenance chores required).

Based on my experience with home health care aides (grandmother - mother - etc.) most of the workers are not-so-young women - recent immigrants - and working for peanuts. Work like this would be illegal for most high school kids (child labor laws) - and a high school kid would probably earn more money working as a bagger at Publix (local grocery store). As for college kids - most here at places like UNF hold full time jobs. A lot work as servers at places where the tips are pretty good. Don't think they'd have much interest in a business where the pay is low - and there's a ton of red tape (government rules - regulations - taxes - insurance - etc.).

And if the elderly person isn't that healthy - you need more than a twice a month visit from a visiting nurse. Note that I'm talking about elderly people - not people in their 60's and 70's. Once people are in their mid-80's - 90's - etc. - they tend to need more than occasional help - especially if they have any kind of dementia (not uncommon). Take a look at the 92 Year Old Mother thread to see what I'm talking about. Curiously - a lot of the people in these places are in their 70's - 60's - or even younger. Average age in Beacon Hill Village in Boston - one of the first "Villages" in the country - is low 70's and getting younger. I get the impression that the people are basically looking for concierge services bought in bulk. Far cry from "Senior Seniors" whose health care needs are much more intensive.

As for geriatric research - we did have that in JAX - a collaboration between an excellent local SNF and UF. But the relationship has changed in recent years - and I think UF is now doing the same kind of work more locally in Gainesville. I'm not sure. University money is tight these days.

And I guess one question we have to ask in connection with this thread is "what is the goal"? Although aging in place is a good idea for some - it isn't a good idea for all. Apart from the physical problems - like falling down - inability to prepare good nutritious meals on a daily basis - there can be psychological problems (e.g., isolation) - as well as cognitive problems (which results in things like not taking meds). I sometimes get the impression that a lot of people here are younger than me and my husband - with parents our age or a bit older. So when they're talking about old people - they're talking about people my age (and - thank you very much - we can take care of ourselves except when it comes to cutting down a 60 foot pine tree - replacing shingles on our roof - stuff like that). When I'm talking about old people - I'm talking about people in their 80's and 90's+ (people like our parents - and grandparents when we were younger). So perhaps there's a failure of communication in this thread because of that. Robyn

Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
And I guess one question we have to ask in connection with this thread is "what is the goal"? Although aging in place is a good idea for some - it isn't a good idea for all. Apart from the physical problems - like falling down - inability to prepare good nutritious meals on a daily basis - there can be psychological problems (e.g., isolation) - as well as cognitive problems (which results in things like not taking meds). I sometimes get the impression that a lot of people here are younger than me and my husband - with parents our age or a bit older. So when they're talking about old people - they're talking about people my age (and - thank you very much - we can take care of ourselves except when it comes to cutting down a 60 foot pine tree - replacing shingles on our roof - stuff like that). When I'm talking about old people - I'm talking about people in their 80's and 90's+ (people like our parents - and grandparents when we were younger). So perhaps there's a failure of communication in this thread because of that. Robyn
All great points, you speak from experience. My 92-yr-old mom died last year. She lived in her own little house and did most of her own inside work, and cooking. It was getting to be a terrible hazard with her at the stove and up on stepstools. She refused all outside help including us. Such as it is with some folks. Again, I like all your points, but you seem to be addressing the issues from the standpoint of having the money for assisted living. I would love to know the statistics, but my guess is there is a large percentage of seniors age 70-90 who cannot afford assisted living or anything close to it. Necessity is the mother of invention, and if there ever was a necessity it is now with us baby boomers in such huge waves. We are not all sitting pretty financially the way many in the last generation were under much more affordable options. So, what's the solution here? What should we, those who are not retiring high, do now to plan for this inevitable crisis? We have no choice but to grow old in place, at home, with whatever help we can manage to get...

Old 08-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Hi Latishia - Regarding assisted living. Perhaps others will contradict me (and I welcome them to do so if they've had different experiences) - but it is a pretty much "skip" thing IMO if you're dealing with pretty low/no income/assets elderly. Medicaid will pay for SNF care for poor elderly - not assisted living care. For people with money - you have an automatic medical expenses tax deduction for money spent in a SNF - not so automatic in ALFs (although possible). It's really the middle class people with some savings - but not a bunch - that have serious issues.

And please don't take this the wrong way. Because I'm only trying to be be helpful. I assume with your name that you're AA. Well at least here in JAX - the best SNF in town - where my late FIL stayed - it's a Jewish SNF (my husband and late FIL aren't/weren't Jewish - I am) - is trying to attract some poor AA and white people on Medicaid as residents - to achieve "diversity" goals. This is perhaps the best SNF in town - but lower income people - whether poor AA - or poor white - wouldn't think of looking there because they think it's out of their league. Don't know about other cities - other states - just know what's going on in my own backyard. In other words - it never hurts to ask. Robyn

Old 08-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Hi Latishia - Regarding assisted living. Perhaps others will contradict me (and I welcome them to do so if they've had different experiences) - but it is a pretty much "skip" thing IMO if you're dealing with pretty low/no income/assets elderly. Medicaid will pay for SNF care for poor elderly - not assisted living care. For people with money - you have an automatic medical expenses tax deduction for money spent in a SNF - not so automatic in ALFs (although possible). It's really the middle class people with some savings - but not a bunch - that have serious issues.

And please don't take this the wrong way. Because I'm only trying to be be helpful. I assume with your name that you're AA. Well at least here in JAX - the best SNF in town - where my late FIL stayed - it's a Jewish SNF (my husband and late FIL aren't/weren't Jewish - I am) - is trying to attract some poor AA and white people on Medicaid as residents - to achieve "diversity" goals. This is perhaps the best SNF in town - but lower income people - whether poor AA - or poor white - wouldn't think of looking there because they think it's out of their league. Don't know about other cities - other states - just know what's going on in my own backyard. In other words - it never hurts to ask. Robyn

SNF - what is the "S"?

And "AA"--alcoholics anonymous? If so, I am not AA or "poor white" in the unfortunate way this term is used. And although I'm now low-income, it's circumstantial. I have a master's degree and have made a lot of money in my working years.

"Latashia" is not my real name. LOL

Thanx for the tip.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
SNF - what is the "S"?

And "AA"--alcoholics anonymous? If so, I am not AA or "poor white" in the unfortunate way this term is used. And although I'm now low-income, it's circumstantial. I have a master's degree and have made a lot of money in my working years.

"Latashia" is not my real name. LOL

Thanx for the tip.
SNF - skilled nursing facility.

AA = African American.

Guess I always assume - perhapy incorrectly - that people use their real names. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement