Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 07:16 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,623,751 times

Advertisements

ATLANTA, July 30 (UPI) -- U.S. health insurance officials advise caregivers of the elderly that there may be help for their spouse or parent they don't know about.

Experts at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia in Atlanta say those enrolled in a Medicare plan may have access to free programs administered by nurses and others to help manage chronic diseases and prevent acute episodes. Many only learn of these programs after hospitalization, the officials say.

Where to find extra help for the elderly - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 04:43 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,284,608 times
Aother source is your state health department. Illinois provides a lot of services to seniors from hosptial Home Care nursing services that come every week or as often as needed, to Eldercare services for the spouse caregiver to hospice. There is sitting services, transportation, blood tests at and weekly lung/heart check at home, housekeeping, extra money for drugs, reduced license plate fees, etc. There is also reduced taxes homestead, over 65, medical disability, military plus you can ask for tax freeze and reduced taxes based on an paid Appraisal. Medical equipment, CNA for bath, etc.

I was in OKAhoma for heart surgery. Home nurses came out for severa. weeks because of complications. CNA gave baths. Didn't need anything other than that.

CAlifornia has good services too. My daughter is in end of life, too. She has had excellent care.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,509,537 times
This is the best website I've ever found to explore all available resources:

https://ssl1.benefitscheckup.org/

Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,232,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
This is the best website I've ever found to explore all available resources:

https://ssl1.benefitscheckup.org/
I hope you don't mind Robyn. I'm going to post that link on the Freebie Forum so a maximum amount of people needing it can bookmark it. Thanks so much for posting it!!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,509,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I hope you don't mind Robyn. I'm going to post that link on the Freebie Forum so a maximum amount of people needing it can bookmark it. Thanks so much for posting it!!
Don't mind at all - think the website deserves the maximum possible exposure. I've used it myself to help people I know get benefits they didn't know existed. It's also useful for friends/family - since we can know what's going on in the states where we live - but not have a clue about what's available in other states. Robyn

Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,070,628 times
Sorry but I have to disagree with you about Illinois services for the elderly.
My Mom, now 100, is ineligible for anything free because she has money saved in CDs. At the present time, she is spending $3200 a month on 40 hours of "help" a week, since she is frail and still at home. The state provides nothing unless you are on Medicaid, meaning you have NOTHING in the bank at all. The only agencies that provide this care are private, not sliding scale fee. And they charge at least $20 an hour. With a 4 hour minimum. So don't mislead people into thinking Illinois will help an elderly person get in home care. It won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement