Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,135,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Yeah, I think the massive downturn in the real estate and stock market a couple of years ago put it on the front burner, however I also suspect that some simmering resentment boiled over from all of the folks who were now working in jobs without defined benefit pensions. The number of private industry jobs offering defined benefit pension plans have significantly evaporated the past few decades, so this likely contributed to the pension resentment.

To me, the starting point always comes down to the question of the pensions being self sustaining, assuming both the employee and employer made the required contributions, and the money was invested for growth. If they are self sustaining, I don't support the resentment.
Not sure if we have had this conversation but I have said it before and folks have often agreed. A part of the resentment is retired transplants. We move to areas that are often lower cost of living and come with benefits income and health care and never go to work and have a high standard of living. Migration to warmer climate states just contributes to the resentment. Think about it person A has a pension etc and never goes to work and person B is unemployed and never goes to work. Somehow they aren't equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,283,652 times
I could see that adding fuel to the fire, especially when they see the retirees out and about in restaurants or retail centers.

I just think it is a shame that we don't focus on trying to come up with long term fixes that make life a bit better for everyone as they grow old, instead of throwing stones at those who are comfortable.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 AM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,699,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"As the first of the 80 million Baby Boomers have begun to retire, it has become increasingly apparent that the United States is facing a pension crisis of unprecedented magnitude. State and local government pension plans are woefully underfunded, dozens of large corporate pension plans either have collapsed or are on the verge of collapsing, Social Security is a complete and total financial disaster and about half of all Americans essentially have nothing saved up for retirement. So yes, to say that we are facing a retirement crisis would be a tremendous understatement."

22 Statistics About America’s Coming Pension Crisis That Will Make You Lose Sleep At Night
People will write anything if they think they can get someone to read it. My husband said he read exactly the opposite of this in an article. There is no crisis except in the mind.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,875,306 times
Can you really tell if someone in a restaurant or mall is a retiree? Anyway, I'm sure all those restaurant and store owners are mighty glad that somebody has money to spend so they don't go out of business. Alot of retirees have gone to places that have really benefitted from the money they spend. What's next? After 62, you can't move anywhere!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Can you really tell if someone in a restaurant or mall is a retiree? Anyway, I'm sure all those restaurant and store owners are mighty glad that somebody has money to spend so they don't go out of business. Alot of retirees have gone to places that have really benefitted from the money they spend. What's next? After 62, you can't move anywhere!
business loves retired transplants but not everyone does who has a lower standard of living. I just had a conversation with another retired transplant who knows a guy from up north who is a electrical contractor and their are areas he won't go into because of the hostility towards transplants. Surprised me but in another way didn't.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
On week days often yes. What is the difference between being 60 and unemployed vs being 60 and comfortably retired in SOME areas? Malls are another story because most people there are comfortable and shopping at usually not the lowest prices. Are you familiar with Life Line Screening at all? Transplants in a number of areas have driven the costs of a number of things up especially housing.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:43 AM

419 posts, read 760,321 times
Another American city pension fund in crisis:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/12/pension-armageddon-in-pittsburgh-state.html

Old 12-31-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Not sure your link is working

Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 AM

419 posts, read 760,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not sure your link is working
Try this

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Pension "Armageddon" in Pittsburgh; State Threatens Takeover of City Pension Plan

Hope it works this time. If not, then I am clueless.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:45 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,657,260 times
Cali BassMan wrote:
Quote:
Social Security could be easily fixed by eliminating the cap, (Yes, tax the rich)
Limit who recieves it, If your collecting 2ooK a year or more do you really need 1500 a month from SS??
This comment was from the first page and I haven't read through all of the posts but I don't agree with the concept of punishing those who have been successful. What is being suggested is that wealthy people should be taxed far more than anyone else and yet they shouldn't be allowed to receive any Social Security whatsoever. I just see this as being unfair. I'm not necessarily opposed to eliminating the cap, I'm merely stating that every taxpayer should receive a Social Security income based on the contributions that they've made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement