Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,995,226 times

Advertisements

Glad to be of help. It is a great area to be in if you like to do things outdoors, especially fly fishing canoing, hiking, etc... . I missed your note about wanting "warm all year roud". Arkansas is not; but, neither are TN or N. Georgia Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:46 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,326,837 times
Mississippi is very cheap. I wouldn't move there, but if you want cheap and isolated, you can't beat that.

But you have to be specific in what you need. I wanted to be near mountains with lots of hiking trails. My wife needed to be near the ocean. I wanted to swim in lakes and she too, and we want both the ocean and the lakes to be within walking distance of the house. We both hate hot humid summers, and really enjoy sitting near the woodstove in snowy winters. We'd like to live on an Island but we need to be able to get to the mainland without a boat, and don't want to be plagued by hurricanes in the summer. We'd like to see plentiful wildlife and would love to have deer grazing in our yard. We want to be able to Canoe or kayak within 200 feet of the house.

We need to have an active Quaker Meeting, a national public radio station, a couple of colleges nearby, and an active Senior College. We need to be within 250 miles of a major city. The population needs to have a high percentage of college grads, and has to have fairly liberal views on things.

We knew what we wanted and we found it and purchased a house there, which we expect to move into it in summer/fall of 2011.

Zarathu

Last edited by Zarathu; 08-15-2010 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 AM

406 posts, read 1,433,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Glad to be of help. It is a great area to be in if you like to do things outdoors, especially fly fishing canoing, hiking, etc... . I missed your note about wanting "warm all year roud". Arkansas is not; but, neither are TN or N. Georgia Mountains.
Well, just as long as it dont get too cold in the winters and it gets warm enough in the spring/summers. What's the weather like there ? I do like the whole outdoor thing. Especially fishin

Old 08-16-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Mississippi is very cheap. I wouldn't move there, but if you want cheap and isolated, you can't beat that.

But you have to be specific in what you need. I wanted to be near mountains with lots of hiking trails. My wife needed to be near the ocean. I wanted to swim in lakes and she too, and we want both the ocean and the lakes to be within walking distance of the house. We both hate hot humid summers, and really enjoy sitting near the woodstove in snowy winters. We'd like to live on an Island but we need to be able to get to the mainland without a boat, and don't want to be plagued by hurricanes in the summer. We'd like to see plentiful wildlife and would love to have deer grazing in our yard. We want to be able to Canoe or kayak within 200 feet of the house.

We need to have an active Quaker Meeting, a national public radio station, a couple of colleges nearby, and an active Senior College. We need to be within 250 miles of a major city. The population needs to have a high percentage of college grads, and has to have fairly liberal views on things.

We knew what we wanted and we found it and purchased a house there, which we expect to move into it in summer/fall of 2011.

Zarathu
Proud for ya, that sounds nice. Can I ask why you wouldnt choose Mississippi yourself?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,326,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Proud for ya, that sounds nice. Can I ask why you wouldnt choose Mississippi yourself?
Didn't have the things listed as needs.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:42 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,692,741 times
Although you seem to have focused on the type of climate you are interested in, and finances are a big issue, there is one aspect that is very important, but you didn't mention in your original thread: "What do you want to do?" What are your interests? Cultural, arts, museums, volunteering, exercising, hobbies? You can move to a great place, but be bored to death.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:57 PM

the different ammenities that a place offers however such as the things that you named. However I dont beleive I'd get tired of all the same things because im a very laid back person and just lookin to spend most days walkin around a park enjoyin the beauty, sittin on the portch enjoyin the weather or just sittin around the house watchin T.V. and stayin cool. It doesnt take much to please me but low crime, decent cost of living, natural beauty and friendly people. however, I would like a place to have enough places to shop or eat, maby a Cinema or two. some festivals... somethin to do but im not big into partying, nightlife or anything like that. i'm turnin 26 in sept. and have already grew outta that phase.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,439,883 times
To the OP - you're turning 26 in September and you are already thinking of your retirement? And you already know you won't be on a limited budget? A lot can change in the next 30-40 years when you will actually reach a realistic retirement age. Places that appeal to you at 26 many appall you at 60 and things you enjoy doing now may not even hold your interest. At 26, I didn't even know where I wanted to live the next year, never mind at retirement.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 PM

37,516 posts, read 61,545,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
To the OP - you're turning 26 in September and you are already thinking of your retirement? And you already know you won't be on a limited budget? A lot can change in the next 30-40 years when you will actually reach a realistic retirement age. Places that appeal to you at 26 many appall you at 60 and things you enjoy doing now may not even hold your interest. At 26, I didn't even know where I wanted to live the next year, never mind at retirement.
Depending on 'iwantyall2know's career, at 26yo he/she could be 12 years from retirement.

Choose your careerfield and you choose when you get your pension.

When I was 24yo I was already 6 years into my career. If I had stuck with it I could have gotten my pension at 38. But I took a 4-year sabbatical from work and attended college instead. Regardless I went back to work and finished my career at 42.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post

Well I am a very diligent, strong minded individual who researches and plans out everything I do 3 streps ahead very extensively and I like to have an idea of what I'm gonna do way before I do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement