Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,442,165 times

Advertisements

Early thirties here, but only semi retired I still have my fingers in a couple pies. I am my own boss and can do what I want when I want.
I don't see myself ever fully retiring, as boredom would possibly creep in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 05:38 PM

263 posts, read 626,838 times
Lucky you.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,067,600 times
I'm in my early twenties and I'm trying to rise up in my career so I can semi-retire or retire period before I'm 30 or at least 35.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,272,660 times
Umm then you aren't retired. You are just your own boss & have enuf to not worry about money. That is simply a form of working.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,882,938 times
I'm 57 and will retire in a moth or so. What kind of work do you do from home? I want to do something too to keep from going crazy and for a few extra $$.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:26 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,720,542 times
Yes, but not by choice. I was injured while in the military and it cut short my career. I live on my retirement benefits- a teacher's salary. So it's not enough to live the "good" life but I've made do. The most valuable part of this is while I don't have alot now...at least I will get the benefit until I die....so I never have to worry about money in my golden years like alot of seniors.

Boredom has set in from time to time- and with that depression. But it didn't take me long to figure out how to keep myself busy, serve others and my community, and just try to live a full life.

Many people retire from a given thing....like you'll hear someone say such and such is retiring from golf....just means they won't earn money from golf....doesn't mean they won't earn money or have projects to develop.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Irealloy was not readsy to retire at that age even mentally. i really enjoyed those years when working.But i did retire at 52 which pretty much came about over a two years span when I found that I wanted to and could.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:58 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,326,302 times
There is another forum at Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community.

Its all about early retirement and financial independence. There are people there who've retired at 35 living on $20K a year and others who have reitred at 45 on just $110K a year.

Its a pretty wide open forum. Some people might like it. Its mostly for those people from Corporate life. There is almost no people from education or other areas of life.

I don't care for it, but some people here might.

Zarathu

Old 08-23-2010, 04:25 PM

183 posts, read 352,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Umm then you aren't retired. You are just your own boss & have enuf to not worry about money. That is simply a form of working.
He said he was semi-retired. Sheesh, relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
There is another forum at Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community.

Its all about early retirement and financial independence. There are people there who've retired at 35 living on $20K a year and others who have reitred at 45 on just $110K a year.

Its a pretty wide open forum. Some people might like it. Its mostly for those people from Corporate life. There is almost no people from education or other areas of life.

I don't care for it, but some people here might.

Zarathu
I am active on that one. I like it. Then again, I fit the demographic better, though I am receiving a pension from the public sector. I mainly frequent the "Life after FIRE" section as the financial planning sections don't apply.

I retired at 43 (turned 44 yesterday) and love it. Boredom is not an issue. If I feel bored I do something, If I feel like being lazy, I don't. Not very hard to stave off boredom. The best part is you get to do what you want, when you want. If you enjoy running a business but want to call it retirement, do it. Ya, usually retirement means being financially independent so you don't HAVE to work. If you choose to work, that's your business.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 PM

21 posts, read 41,071 times
I retired in 2003,I am 39 now,however it is due to being a disabled veteran who can not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement