Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:32 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,988,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
TOO Late!! Bought in a resort. Was going to move to our isolated cabin on 40 acres of woods that we were going to enlarge. But asked friends and family if they'd visit us. Friends changed the subject. Family said, "....If we have to, and for a holiday now and then...." So then we asked if friends and family would visit us in Bar Harbor, Maine(home of Acadia National Park, and Mount Desert Island), and they all started signing up for weeks.

So we bought a BIG HOUSE WITH 5 BEDROOMS, two living rooms, two baths, and an 800 sq foot garage on 1.5 acres across from kayaking to the ocean on National Park land, walking to National Park locals only know swimming lake. Since we bought it at the bottom of the housing recession, you cannot find any 5 bdr, 2 bath, two living room house on island for less than 60K more than what we paid for it.

The good thing is that part of it was built in 1909 and part in 1996, and all of it was renovated in 1996. We can completely close off 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, and one living room and only heat two bdrs, and the living/dining/kitchen part with the woodstove for the winter. We can open it for company or parties during the winter.

Don't know what you are talking about regard the tax free income though.....
Great , but unless I could charge them for visiting.....why create a hotel for free?.... At some point you will have a money pit...just too much for retired folks tring to keep it simple and affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Designed by you? I would love to see a sketch or picture of this!
No , not entirely. Go to Rocio Romero website and look it up. Under projects click on the various homes already built, and ours...not quite done yet.( with all the snow around it ). 2 open houses this month, one in Mo. and the other in Nelson, BC.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:58 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,333,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Great , but unless I could charge them for visiting.....why create a hotel for free?.... At some point you will have a money pit...just too much for retired folks tring to keep it simple and affordable.
You and I do not view the world and friends in the same way.

Just too much for you to keep up with. Not for me.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
You and I do not view the world and friends in the same way.

Just too much for you to keep up with. Not for me.
No , its all about money, as well as the fact even wealthy folks can get overwhelmed sometimes . Nothing wrong with providing for family and friends, but , I would not want to " buy" them at any cost.
I would want my loved ones to come visit , cause the want to see me , or us, not because of where we live. Unfortunately , reality DOES show us most young people ether do not have the time or don't really care... Its more likely we do the things we do for ourselves and our creative natures , than for friends and family. In that regard , if you can afford it , by all means , go for it !

Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,333,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
No , its all about money, as well as the fact even wealthy folks can get overwhelmed sometimes . Nothing wrong with providing for family and friends, but , I would not want to " buy" them at any cost.
I would want my loved ones to come visit , cause the want to see me , or us, not because of where we live. Unfortunately , reality DOES show us most young people ether do not have the time or don't really care... Its more likely we do the things we do for ourselves and our creative natures , than for friends and family. In that regard , if you can afford it , by all means , go for it !
I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I was simply light-heartedly commenting on what my kids said about moving deep into the woods compared to moving to a resort area.

It has nothing to do with buying people's friendships or stuff.

You have read all kinds of things in to an innocent post about how people would more likely want to visit someone who lived in a resort area compared to living way out in the isolated boonies with nothing to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

You may have some fears about these things, but they are your fears, not mine. My retirement has been in planning for 12 years, and changes that are more significant to us have been made, while at the same time learning from others and both sets of parents who made major errors.

I think you have extrapolated a huge story out of just a small couple of phrases, and your extrapolation, while maybe accurate for you, is not accurate for everyone, and certainly not me.

Z

Last edited by Zarathu; 09-04-2010 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I was simply light-heartedly commenting on what my kids said about moving deep into the woods compared to moving to a resort area.

It has nothing to do with buying people's friendships or stuff.

You have read all kinds of things in to an innocent post about how people would more likely want to visit someone who lived in a resort area compared to living way out in the isolated boonies with nothing to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

You may have some fears about these things, but they are your fears, not mine. My retirement has been in planning for 12 years, and changes that are more significant to us have been made, while at the same time learning from others and both sets of parents who made major errors.

I think you have extrapolated a huge story out of just a small couple of phrases, and your extrapolation, while maybe accurate for you, is not accurate for everyone, and certainly not me.

Z
You need to chill a bit. Everything is not all about you , or directed in your direction. Comments to posts come all ways, to your liking and not , its just the way Cita-data works. We are all entitled to our opinions, but personal attacks are not acceptable here, so get over it.
By the way , I have been to Bar Harbor several times , and found it to be a very nice place, good luck on your retirement plans.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,029,355 times
One of my worst retirement mistakes was not keeping up enough close friendships during my working years. I was overwhelmed with job, kids, household, my own health issues, etc. and often left friendships off to the side. I regret that now, as good friends are not so easy to make (at least for me) in older age. I'm not talking about casual friends for casual get-togethers like church or social functions, I mean really close dependable friends who are a caring support system. If I could change one thing, that might be what I would have done better.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 AM

There is not a lot you can do about friends and family. Everyone has their own priorities, before and after retired. What you can do , is to make your own life as comfortable as possible, and have Peace within your self and your accomplishments.
Over the years I have lived all around the Country, and try to keep in contact with old friends , but , as time goes by , you grow more distant. Its just the way it is as we get older, more set in our ways, and expand our horzions. Independence is somthing we earn, cherish , and demand.....even more so in our later years. One of the reasons I encourage older retired folks to never loose their identy, by staying in their own homes as long as possiable.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,672,823 times
1.if you are fortunate enough to have a pension coming, failing to exercise "buy back*" rights b4 filing for retirement, thus losing enormous benefits. (*buying years of service from prior military time or federal service)
2. failing to accurately calculate your take home retirement pay. many continue to work not realizing could already retire at full pay-- hence working for free.
4. dipping into your 401 or 457k retirement fund to help out the kids.
5. cosigning for student loans for your kids, just b4 retirement.
6. retiring too late. too sick too old and too burned out to enjoy retirement. spent hen syndrome a major cause of day after retirement death.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,771,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I would say the worse problem is reaching retirement age whatever that is for whatever reason and actually not having the financial resources needed is by far the worse.
I completely agree. My worst fears and biggest problem is not being able to financially survive. I can't wait to be able to retire. I made the mistake of buying the house I live in now and at the same time I can't afford to give it up since it is income generating which will, of course, be a tremendous help financially when I finally can retire. The pension at my job will be peanuts because I my salary is so low. Social Security won't pay much either and I an leary about it even being available to me by time I'm 62/65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement