Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Of all the elderly people he's visited, the Rev. Kenneth Dupin remembers a woman named Katie in particular.

Katie had a houseful of treasured memorabilia, and she loved to regale him with stories of Washington high society in the 1950s. But after she was moved to a nursing home, "she started crying," Dupin says. "I went over to her, and she pulled me down to where I could hear her, and she said, 'Please take me home.'"

'Granny Pods' Keep Elderly Close, At Safe Distance : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Of all the elderly people he's visited, the Rev. Kenneth Dupin remembers a woman named Katie in particular.

Katie had a houseful of treasured memorabilia, and she loved to regale him with stories of Washington high society in the 1950s. But after she was moved to a nursing home, "she started crying," Dupin says. "I went over to her, and she pulled me down to where I could hear her, and she said, 'Please take me home.'"

I love the idea but $2,000/month to rent? That's a quarter of a million over 10 years which seems a little steep to me.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM

183 posts, read 352,122 times
You could build a habitable small house for $20,000 in your back yard like these. You could buy a nice RV for $20,000. Sure they don't have the bells and whistles like the Feet Sweep camera, but those could be had for a little more. Talk about a scam. That's more than my house payment!!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 PM

93 posts, read 358,453 times
However, it really has a lot of great features- the camera, the lift...it's a great market.

Since many assisted living facilities are $3000+ a month and nursing homes are $5000+ a month, this is really a good deal for the right situation.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post

It may be different in other parts of the country but here in the Southwest it is extremely difficult to get approval to place an ADU on your property. It seems that most people think any person who is not in their immediate circle is a lazy, ne'er do well and they see their neighbors installation of an ADU structure in their backyard as the start of a headlong slide into homeless tents and dug users passed out in the streets. It is unfortunate that so many good Christians are so comfortable contributing to the suffering of others to maintain their own comfort.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:01 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post

99% of the people in assisted living/nursing homes want to go home.

It's hard because assisted living/nursing homes are like a college dorm: little privacy, social cliques and lousy food. The difference is college dorms are for starting one's life and assisted living/nursing home are for the end one's life.

Granny pods aren't the answer. People are living longer because of the advanced medical care and round the hour nursing care/staff at assisted living/nursing homes. Granny pods can not provide this level of care. A good number of assisted living/nursing home residents are incontinent needing diaper changes 24/7. Unless a granny pod has a full time aide to change diapers and shower/wash granny, it's a not working.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:36 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
I watched a couple of videos about this particular granny pod, the MedCottage.

This woman paid $125k for the MedCottage they put just outside her backdoor. Her mother is able to join the family in the main house. Her daughter assists her with whatever needs to be done.

I'm not entirely clear on this but I did see something about 24/7 home medical monitoring. I imagine that expense would be extra.

I so wish we could have had something like the MedCottage, only larger, for my MIL.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:29 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
My one-time neighbor had granny living in the RV. She was in her 80s and on a walker and couldn't get out by herself. It was temporary for about six months or so until they moved and she got her own room. He said she was from New York and used to a small apartment.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:03 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I am sorry to say that I feel a little scared when I read these topics. It makes me realize what I could be facing in a few years (or less). For many reasons, my retirement planning was not done very well. A lot of things going on that kept my attention from thinking about it. So here I am at 78 wondering and feeling scared what the future looks like.

I have fallen a few times lately mainly due to occasional bouts of poor balance, sometimes from not remembering my limits. I've been able to pick myself up and help myself, but I think one day there will be a time when I won't be able to.

Sorry, this is sounding more like a pity party.

But it is where my head is right now.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
It seems to me the purpose of these things is "We don't want you living with us but this expensive backyard dog house with cameras always on you will work for us." Who the heck wants a camera on them 24/7?

Can't wait for the perfected self-driving cars and robots home helpers...except I'll probably already be dead when it happens if it's anything like my 50+ year wait for someone to invent non-squishing mammograms.

If you fall a lot or think you are unsteady on your feet, keep a flip phone in your pocket at all times, even when you sleep. I do. Set up 3 ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers on it so the person using it won't have to page thru a bunch of contact numbers while they are laying on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement