Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
That's right, some things do offset others. Gasoline here is about 50 cents more per gallon than California, but as you said we would most likely need to drive more there. Partially, just because there is more to do and it's a bit more spread out. But, it's one of those things that depends on the individual to some extent. We have a friend here who lives outside of town and drives as many miles in a month as we do in a year. We live in town, so that's a factor. The same thing would apply in California.

Going by memory, I think internet and phone were similar to here and house insurance was less there. We have to pay for hurricane insurance here, so that's what makes it more. The property taxes are really low here. What we pay in a year here would be about what we would pay per month in California. That's a very big difference.

I think the way we live is a bigger factor than where we live, although there are some costs that can tip the scale. Like high property taxes or high heating or air conditioning bills. Hawaii definitely has some pluses. For instance, the amount we spend on clothing. I wear sleeveless shirts, capris, and flip flops and my husband wears t-shirts and shorts. That's pretty much it. We spend next to nothing on clothes. Another thing is that we don't have to heat our home. None of the houses even have heaters except for some at higher elevations where it can get down in the 50's, or I think maybe even in the 40's.

One of our concerns about this island is the poor medical care. When it comes to medical care this is anything, but paradise. But, that's another topic.
Wow, can I trade places with you????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm game also - would love to live there, at least, I think I would love it - who knows how I'd feel after a bit.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I'm game also - would love to live there, at least, I think I would love it - who knows how I'd feel after a bit.
Bring your ear plugs if in rural areas, roosters gone wild!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 AM

239 posts, read 520,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sure. New England is beautiful this time of year. I would definitely like to spend the autumn there, just don't know about the winter.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Yeah, it's hard to say. There are definitely nice things about here that you would enjoy, but there is a downside for sure. Some people love it and others can't wait to get back to the mainland. I can see both sides.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Bring your ear plugs if in rural areas, roosters gone wild!
Don't forget about the coqui! They drown out the roosters in some areas.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:15 AM

106,662 posts, read 108,810,853 times
there are lots of cheap rural areas around but living in nyc now and having a home in the poconos i see the best and worst of both.

limited medical choices and facilities are a major issue.. lack of public transportation is a problem when you need it. everything requires long drives to buy anything.

in an emergency help is ofton quite a ways off...

if you decide to work many areas have next to no real jobs

traveling is very trying at times, i know by us most roads are 1 lane. in an emergency grandma can be out for a drive and a long line of cars back up behind her.

living in some of these rural areas has a price and dont forget with no traffic the poconos are 2 hours to our nyc home so we arent that rural but thec daily life has the concerns of above...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
Sure. New England is beautiful this time of year. I would definitely like to spend the autumn there, just don't know about the winter.
Each different region has it's own variations on winter.

Some are worse than others.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
When i visited new england their fall was like our winter basically.Being that my parents are from the northeast and i saty there at times;no way I could take the winters especailly now that I am older.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,643 times
My pension is not taxed at 20%. But when you combine federal taxes and state taxes, for part of the total the projected number is 20% or so. It all depends on how much your income is combining your SS, your pension, and any investments together. 85% of my SS is taxed at about 13%. 100% of my pension is taxed at about 13%. Since I'm drawing on ss, I don't hVE TO PAY SS TAXES.

MY STATE TAX IS abou 6%. 13% + 6% is about 20% give or take. The toal comes closer to 18% of my total retirement income.

If you have a pretty low retirment income, you mgith not have to pay anything. I have a pretty good teacher pension after 40 years of working as an educator, and pretty good SS, and osme inventments.

You do live in a high tax state. IN pa, neither SS or nor any state pension is taxed at all. And even for me still working the PA TAX is only 2.8% compared to more than 6% in Maine.

It is what it is.

Zarathu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement