Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times

Advertisements

An interesting survey: Growing Old in America: Expectations vs. Reality - Pew Social & Demographic Trends - got me thinking about things in my life that are/were different than I expected them to be.

For one, I'm amazed at how quickly I got to this age and retired ... yet, how young I still feel - Somehow, I thought it would take longer and that I would feel really old (like my grandparents, when they were my age). I also thought that I would "have all the answers... by perhaps 48 or 55 and certainly by 62!

What things in your life are/were different than you expected them to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 02:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
An interesting survey: Growing Old in America: Expectations vs. Reality - Pew Social & Demographic Trends - got me thinking about things in my life that are/were different than I expected them to be.

For one, I'm amazed at how quickly I got to this age and retired ... yet, how young I still feel - Somehow, I thought it would take longer and that I would feel really old (like my grandparents, when they were my age). I also thought that I would "have all the answers... by perhaps 48 or 55 and certainly by 62!

What things in your life are/were different than you expected them to be?
When I started taking care of myself in my 20s, after being ill all the time in my teens, I started into whole foods, less and then no meds, yoga, etc. I thought that this would all protect me forever, or at least into old age. Little did I suspect that a catastrophic event with the birth of one of my children would incapacitate me later in life. While I wasn't ever athletic, I wasn't used to physical limitations of any kind and always prided myself on my body (not to excess, just was proud that i always looked and felt much younger than many my age). It has been a shock to have my condition from that birth deteriorate so much. I still am very, very careful of what I eat (not fanatic, but I avoid the usual terrible food stuffs and eat a mostly vegetarian, whole foods diet) but i must now accept the condition that will never improve, only get tougher with age. I feel lucky to have survived that birth, and lucky that the child grew up to be healthy and strong though, so I have no regrets. Just has brought me to a place I didn't imagine in youth.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:31 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,049,321 times
Cool Expectations lead to frustration ~

The few expectations I had years before retirement are fading memories, mostly unattainable now because at age 72 I just don't have the stamina, the physical or mental energy, or the desire to seek adventure in travel. Even attempting to make new friends in a new city seems like an effort and a chore I guess past expectations CHANGE over time.

My reality is contentment living in a small town environment where the stress level is very low ~ so I take pleasure in local activities letting go of past expectations !

Old 08-29-2010, 04:29 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Biggest surprise is that my financial assets are five to ten times more than I ever thought I would have when I was young an living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:34 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,871 times
Just the other day a friend of mine who is 70 and female(I am 61 and male), posted a picture of one of her girl friends on facebook. She seemed to have a pretty good figure, and had aged pretty well. I said to my wife that I thought she was pretty cute.

AND SUDDENLY, LIKE A BOLT OF LIGHTNING, I REALIZED.... I had come pretty far along the line to senility when I was thinking that some 70 year old woman was CUTE!!

I still think she is cute, btw, and my wife at 59, is the prettiest 59 year old I know. But, while I don't feel 61 most of the time, and I think that I'm thinking like 32, I know that in a very basic way that I must have changed a lot when I'm finding that women near 60 and in their 70's are cute.

I know what I owuld have thought when I was 30!!

I'm in pretty good shape and if I had all my hair and it wasn't mostly white, I might be even be a "hunk" or whatever they call good looking guys now.

Whew!

Z

P.S.: no offense to any of the rest of you cute gals who just happen to also be in your 60's and 70's.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
My wife and I bought a small (1200 sq ft) house with pool in an "Active Adult" community. I didn't know what my retirement income would be but off we went. Within months my son moved in with no income and a bankruptcy looming. After buying a larger house we realized Phoenix was too hot and we got out at the top of the market. My income was a lot more than I had thought it would be and my son got settled. He still lives with us but I cleaned up $100K selling the larger house.
We never used the "amenities" at the active adult community and the HOA was a bunch of old snoops who worried about how many flour pots were on your lawn.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:54 PM

89 posts, read 132,640 times
The surprise is how fast time starts to go. I always heard old people say it, but never believed it until I got old myself. A year can seem like a week, a day can seem like 5 minutes. Very scary sometimes. I try to appreciate life more than I used to, seeing how fast it starts to fly by.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:12 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,549 times
I agree with oldcoder about how fast time goes. One day my nieces and nephews are little kids, the next day they're graduating from college!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,702 times
DH and I dreamed of living in FL "one day" for the past 40 years. Now that we're here I HATE it. And, when I was younger I never dreamed I would live in a cookie cutter, gated community with idiot rules and old bitties (men and women) enforcing them!!! I never dreamed, as a beach loving sun worshiper, that I'd have to avoid the sun at all times now, that Mr. Sun would become my enemy, because of an illness I have and the medications I have to take for it. I never dreamed that our youngest sweet and sensitive child would become a drug addict nor that my trouble maker oldest child would become a cop! I could go on, but let's just say that A LOT of things about my life are not what I expected them to be when I got to this age.

But then, when I was 22, the month before I married my husband, I was told by the medical profession I would be dead within 16 years due to the hereditary kidney condition I had. At 62 I'm still here. AND BEING HERE NOW IS WHAT I LEAST EXPECTED!!! Praise God!

Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
DH and I dreamed of living in FL "one day" for the past 40 years. Now that we're here I HATE it. And, when I was younger I never dreamed I would live in a cookie cutter, gated community with idiot rules and old bitties (men and women) enforcing them!!! I never dreamed, as a beach loving sun worshiper, that I'd have to avoid the sun at all times now, that Mr. Sun would become my enemy, because of an illness I have and the medications I have to take for it. I never dreamed that our youngest sweet and sensitive child would become a drug addict nor that my trouble maker oldest child would become a cop! I could go on, but let's just say that A LOT of things about my life are not what I expected them to be when I got to this age.

But then, when I was 22, the month before I married my husband, I was told by the medical profession I would be dead within 16 years due to the hereditary kidney condition I had. At 62 I'm still here. AND BEING HERE NOW IS WHAT I LEAST EXPECTED!!! Praise God!

Life sure throws us some curve balls, some that we actually catch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement