Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 AM

102 posts, read 167,014 times

Advertisements

Not sure if it is just me and my wife but since we became seniors, which I guess is over 60 years old, we seem to have become 'invisible' to younger people. What I mean is, when you are out shopping or walking, it seems that the only ones who smile at you, or acknowledge your presence are those of the same age as you! And it also seems that the younger people are, the more 'invisible' you become to them.

When I look at young people, especially those aged under 40, they seem to look straight through me and not even notice me, let alone make some indication that they actually see me. Maybe it's just a part of getting older but I must say it p****s me right off.

Anyone else noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
Not sure if it is just me and my wife but since we became seniors, which I guess is over 60 years old, we seem to have become 'invisible' to younger people. What I mean is, when you are out shopping or walking, it seems that the only ones who smile at you, or acknowledge your presence are those of the same age as you! And it also seems that the younger people are, the more 'invisible' you become to them.

When I look at young people, especially those aged under 40, they seem to look straight through me and not even notice me, let alone make some indication that they actually see me. Maybe it's just a part of getting older but I must say it p****s me right off.

Are they too busy texting or talking on cell phones?

I'm only in my late 40s, but noticed it as well.

It also depends what part of the country you're in and whether you're in Smalltown, USA or Bigcity, USA.

Perhaps, before you retired, you had a larger role in life and aren't used to not being acknowledged anymore. I was in the military, so that's the case for me, as well.

One thing that bothers me and I can't explain it but sale people call me "Buddy" a lot - and I don't like it. Am I over sensitive about that? Is this a regional thing (Florida)?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:

I don't think it has to do with being retired or over 60 years old. My wife and I have been noticing the same thing for years before we even turned 50. I've noticed that many (not all) young people are extremely inward. The worst group I've seen are probably young mothers in their twenties. Some of these women are so detached from the rest of the world that I literally don't believe they see anything that doesn't relate to them, their children, and their husband/boyfriend.

The computer and other technologies of the information age have made much of our lives easier, but they have created a host of very subtle problems or issues that society is just starting to see. These technologies make it possible to live virtually without ever communicating with a new person or a stranger. You can shop online and talk to your friends online. Why worry about being polite to strangers down at the gas station, convenience store, or Walmart? Why listen to others when you can wear your IPOD all the time?

I think its a fine question to ask how you can avoid becoming invisible or irrelevant during your retirement. However, it has less to with age than the sort of world we are becoming. I think the implications of what this holds for the future are staggering and not pleasant. What I see is scaring me to death. I don't see what can be done about it though.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:51 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Not invisibility so much as exclusion.

Things like online forms that require a work phone number ... work address, name of employer, job title, start date, and so on. And I've never seen an option for simply checking a box that says "retired", even though there are more and more retirees each year.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile Being left out

This is one of my great fears b/c I really enjoy being around people. I do a lot of work with first time homebuyers and one of the comments I hear is that I spend so much time with them and seem to really care. Well, I do.

I just saw Social Network and even though I try to see all sides, I am very sad at the lack of caring and negativity out there. There's a lot to be said for actual human contact. Yes, it helps to have a positive on-line response sometimes but nothing beats an old face to face.

In answer to the OP, I have seen this also - years ago - when people started listening to their Ipods - you would say hi and nothing - then you realized they didn't even hear/see you.

I just think it is really really sad.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 AM

718 posts, read 2,080,065 times
It is up to each individual to make certain they are not "invisible". Self-esteem can diminish at any age. Individuals should not let others treat them disrespectfully....up to every single one of us no matter what our age and how many Ipods we encounter.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I think that most are politie but their are alot more that basically are anti-social which is evident in the reality shows they watch and the problems in the school with many. But I meet alot fo very nice young people who basically reject it. Thoise like evry generation will be the ones who are successful.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 PM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
I sort of enjoy the Invisible Man, cloaked stature...
Most people I see, on foot or driving, are consumed
by their texting, Tweets, emails, etc.

Even a trip through WalMartNation these days is an
exercise in dodging shopping carts pushed by the masses,
checking their smart phones, heads bowed, etc.

It is what it is.
GL, mD

Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Default Lack Face-to-Face Skills

Sadly the age of technology has produced people who have little or no social skills who are unable to survive without a cell phone/blackberry or IPad in constant ON mode. Many first job interviews are now done over the telephone too. I often wonder if people have lost their face-to-face skills.

Their mode of communication, through the computer, like Facebook, lacks any personal contact. They "talk" to one another but never say anything. Glad I won't be around for the next generation, because it's not looking too promising.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Default Invisible?

I know what the OP means. Probably since I turned 60 a few years ago, I noticed that very few people make eye contact like they used to. I'm not talking about people distracted by a cell phone conversation or tuned out/in with an iPod. I always put it down to being an "old lady" and not as eye-catching, but perhaps it's a societal change. However, I always make a point of making eye contact and smiling when possible, and it's surprising how many people will then greet me or smile back. Let's reverse the trend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement