Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,002,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Perfect. Loveautumn, mrschilicook, yellowsnow - all great thoughts and perspectives. After two years I think we are both ready to be settled on and as Mrschili said get on with life. Pretty sure we found the place too. Have visited several times. Subscribing to local daily on line which is giving me a feel for the daily pulse of life, political and tax issues, and so forth.

Two years until we put the hacienda on the market. Then we'll see.
You may want to sell sooner and rent for a while so you can be good to go without anything to tie you down. I don't hear anything about the housing market (for sellers) improving in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 PM

915 posts, read 1,629,206 times
Quote:
I admit it. This is a selfish thread. I posted the following in the "Who's Your City" thread, hoping to hear about some of your experiences on the road of retirement. Seems to me, it is one thing to think you know something and quite different to actually live it. So, here is my story. I'm sticking to it. And, will really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Like so many approaching, almost there, pre-retirees, the wife and I have spent much time, thought and effort in deciding what's next. Having visited around 60 small towns, larger towns and a few small cities, in something like 8 states, we are getting closer to a decision. It is a daunting task.

We started out 11 years ago by moving away from the big city to a small town, 70 miles from the big city. From 5 million plus to under 30,000 in the entire county. The only town is 5,000 population. Built a nice home on a few acres. We were ahead of the curve, as this was to be the retirement destination. We realize now, that we went too small (community), and too large (house and acreage).

We 'think' what is meant for us is an in-between town / community of maybe 40,000 to 50,000, with college(s), for the youth factor, education and cultural influence. Not too far away from major airport(s), for travel. Grandkids within a couple of hours or so, but not so close that we are the default babysitters. And a grocery store that is not 13 miles away, an ENT that is 25 miles away, or major trauma center 25 miles away.

As the world turns, so the saying goes. Stay tuned.
whoops - tried to give you a reputation "thumbs up" but it slipped out of my thumbs prematurely - however, i think you got the rep as it wouldn't let me "finish what i was saying" ................. said it had already "repped" -

however, great title/subject/thought-provoker - so many of us have talked about our search - our priorities as we look for a "second half of life" place.

I like Mrs/Mz Chili's admonition to get on with life -the where becoming less important than when you were searching for it -

I shall post that thought on my bathroom mirror-
on the dashboard of my car -
and most importantly on my laptop keyboard so that I stop endlessly browsing city-data/craig's list housing/zillow and google maps searching for a concrete external answer to an abstract internal quest ...................

humming u-2's "and i still haven't found what i'm looking for"...

Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,786 posts, read 58,262,375 times
Quote:
How has your thinking about the ideal place evolved?
Every 'Elder-Care' situation I end up being part of, "Changes & tweaks" my perception of my 'future-place'.

I too, am here more often than not.
Quote:
to get on with life -the where becoming less important
... i.e. I have seen enough painful stuff in the last few yrs to be FAR less concerned about ME and MY choices, as Poof ! we can be 'dust' in a heartbeat (or lack there-of). & OUR choices may have dramatic and potentially significant damaging results to 'Innocent' bystanders. (I certainly am not SO important that I need to force MY WAY on others, tho I will not be unnecessarily swayed by 'petty' arguments, I am much more receptive to 'reasonable' ones.)

Basically, the initial criteria that remain in place = :
  • Must be within 20 minutes of a Small College town (closer preferred)
  • 10 min to medical, library, volunteer, and PT work opportunities
  • Within 2 hrs of a CHEAP international airport (closer preferred)
  • Mild climate (without heat or humidity requiring summer AC)/
  • Ready access to 'free grease' (fuel) for my 50 MPG 'StealthRabbits'
  • Solid 'growth' real estate investment market (for income properties... NOT my own SFR) I.e. MUST be attractive to future 'senior' residents / economy.
  • Ready access to CHEAP 'year-round' lap swimming
NEW requirements: (from 2005 initial list)
  • No MN size mosquitos
  • No solo living space with large maint needs (living in 'guest home' on a farm would be OK, If I rent the farm, the 'big-house', and groundskeeping / farming obligations out).
  • Any future places MUST have multiple living qtrs (for eldercare / caregivers, renters, guests)
  • All places considered MUST have space to grow my own food, and great access to CHEAP fresh fruits and veggies.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,080,374 times
This is all good. Msfroggez...thnks for the rep. Stealth...re. the w/in 20 miles of college campus. Here is what shapes my thinking.

Monday of last week: Filled up (18 gals) my truck to the tune of $53 and change.

By Friday: Two trips into town for miscellaneous things; gas station, post office, bank, wallymart, library and one trip to neighboring town to a better grocery store. Almost 90 miles.

So three trips equaled 30 miles each. To me, that is too much travel for not doing much. Thing about it is since I work at home and on my own I have very flexible hours. So, I can gang up my tasks to minimize 'unecessary' trips.

Energy is getting more and more expensive, regardless of how you consume. I'd rather save the energy and expense for more "fun" things. The things mentioned are, for the most part, the necessary parts of life.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts. They are very helpful.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:56 AM

gotta give it this - these threads that attract the dreamers are one great refining think tank.......

Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 AM

37,520 posts, read 61,561,925 times
Quote:
How has your thinking about the ideal place evolved?
For the last 14 years of my career; my primary motivation to continue was the pension. [Our work hours were long; I deployed a lot [averaging 7-months deployed every year]; all behavior was monitored; I spent a lot of time in isolation, actually incommunicado; and it was fairly dangerous.]

At each duty station, whenever I was allowed to take leave, my Dw and I spent most of that time searching for a retirement location. Reviewing scenarios for a retirement lifestyle was our hobby.

We wanted to live rurally. A big garden, an orchard, in a forest, with a nearby river or ocean. The ability to hunt and fish on our property, to raise livestock, and to try to live as much self-sufficient as possible.

We began drawing the house we wanted when I had 10 years to go before my retirement. Every year I would bring those drawings out onto the kitchen table, and for a week we would discuss and make changes to those drawings.

That was how our plans evolved.

In a couple months, I will have been retired for 10 years.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Every 'Elder-Care' situation I end up being part of, "Changes & tweaks" my perception of my 'future-place'.

I too, am here more often than not.
... i.e. I have seen enough painful stuff in the last few yrs to be FAR less concerned about ME and MY choices, as Poof ! we can be 'dust' in a heartbeat (or lack there-of). & OUR choices may have dramatic and potentially significant damaging results to 'Innocent' bystanders. (I certainly am not SO important that I need to force MY WAY on others, tho I will not be unnecessarily swayed by 'petty' arguments, I am much more receptive to 'reasonable' ones.)

Basically, the initial criteria that remain in place = :
  • Must be within 20 minutes of a Small College town (closer preferred)
  • 10 min to medical, library, volunteer, and PT work opportunities
  • Within 2 hrs of a CHEAP international airport (closer preferred)
  • Mild climate (without heat or humidity requiring summer AC)/
  • Ready access to 'free grease' (fuel) for my 50 MPG 'StealthRabbits'
  • Solid 'growth' real estate investment market (for income properties... NOT my own SFR) I.e. MUST be attractive to future 'senior' residents / economy.
  • Ready access to CHEAP 'year-round' lap swimming
NEW requirements: (from 2005 initial list)
  • No MN size mosquitos
  • No solo living space with large maint needs (living in 'guest home' on a farm would be OK, If I rent the farm, the 'big-house', and groundskeeping / farming obligations out).
  • Any future places MUST have multiple living qtrs (for eldercare / caregivers, renters, guests)
  • All places considered MUST have space to grow my own food, and great access to CHEAP fresh fruits and veggies.
Stealth, par usual, I find myself copying your thoughts and pasting them to my "relocation file" considerations. Several others also provide those "bulleted" lists that spark additional thought.

My "consideration" list evolves regularly - having had my wings clipped for real exploration and landing back at my parents' house with elder care issues has created once again that "real life" look at how choices we and others make really does impact those around us. It has not been easy - I feel like I have been stuck in Life 101, challenging and/or confirming my own more academic, philosophical, philanthropic, analytical, yada yada yada thoughts. It's tough reliving a combination of adolescence and parenting at the same time, all the while knowing that you "have" some solutions but not the ear of the recipients

But, the process of this has surely impacted my Plans A, B and C that were active less than a year ago. The "approaching a year of living differently" has had its painful advantage. Like immersion in a foreign country to learn the language, I have now had my second round, this time far more personal, into aging in America.

I've lived vicariously through your explorations since it seems I can seldom get much further than racing down to coastal Carolina to find contact lenses packed in storage units or to day trips in Virginia to once again explore my home state. Since this time period has included one of the most hot/humid/wretched summers as well as a record cold winter, my weather requirements are all in upheaval because I am disliking both extremes and just praying that the east coast has not somehow fallen into climate hell.
Who the heck cancelled SPRING AND FALL in the southeast???????

So back to ideal places - keep your observations coming - the process surely is very individual but the stories from all are rich in wisdom. Exciting to see the growth that continues in each person who posts in these "saged" forums. Reminding me that "all who wander are not lost" ............we're taking notes.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,424,688 times
This area is little mentioned on this board but we first looked here and about five other areas in differnt states but everytime we came back for a second look we knew this was the right fit for us.
Anybody who hasn't visited here is missing out on one of the best places to retire.

Pinehurst - Southern Pines, North Carolina

If Pinehurst itself is not for you there are plenty of surrounding towns nearby but without the New England charm.

BTW if you need the ocean close by, you probably should look elsewhere

Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,720,130 times
Pinehurst has no college or airport. Darn! Still looking for the magic place for us.........

One recurring issue is proximity to family. With only one grandchild and only a single sibling (who married an only child and they never had kids) there's a strong pull. I never thought I would feel that tug, so that has evolved in my thinking...

We might initially live in Texas (where the grandkid is) and get a condo in N. California (where my only sibling is) for the summer months... DH's family is is Florida, which he doesn't like. He is all about the mountains. We both love Sedona but expensive....

Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,080,374 times
NEGirl...We have given selling and renting some thought. Not ready to sell yet. Besides, things could still evolve.

In regards to the state of the housing market. Assuming it is still down, then it will most likely be down here and there. We think it will be wash if that is the case.

2013 is the target year to jump into the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You may want to sell sooner and rent for a while so you can be good to go without anything to tie you down. I don't hear anything about the housing market (for sellers) improving in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement