Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 AM

8,969 posts, read 20,399,679 times

Advertisements

Actually, I've seen job ads that ask for a AA Degree and Certification. My last supervisor had a Bachelor's and two Certifications. A company he use to work for paid for part of the cost for the certifications. Actually, my wife has worked for a few companies where, in the Accounting Dept., a Bachelor's Degree was part of the requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Anything less than a Bachelor's degree is no degee at all, so it's hardly "major" (AB's don't count in my book, and here in Canada we don't even have them--community colleges give out diplomas, not degrees.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 AM
ifa ifa started this thread

294 posts, read 446,011 times
Quote:
And now, for many people once they retire, the refrain becomes,, "Oh I would love to do X, if only I had the money!"
That's one reason I make sure my hobbies are relatively inexpensive. If someone is bored, it's probably because they think having fun has to be expensive.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,404,872 times
Quote:
(AB's don't count in my book, and here in Canada we don't even have them--community colleges give out diplomas, not degrees.)
That seems like an elistist attitude. Some jobs don't require a four year degree but having an AA will get someone in the door to a job. If you needed some bookkeeping done and you didn't want to pay the higher salary of an accountant with a bachelor's degree would you hire someone with an AA in accounting or someone with no experience? I had a friend who took a bookkeeping job without the education and didn't last long.

I love community colleges because they enable many people to experience higher education who are financially unable to go to a four year college or they might be intimated. I started at a community college and when I realized I wasn't as dumb as my high school counselors made me out to be, I went on to a four year college, all after I turned 50. I have a BA and now I'm going for an AA in Accounting/Business Management. I'm hoping to supplement retirement income with part-time work. Who knows, maybe I'll continue on for another AA degree or two (or higher if I can figure out how not to go into more school loans) just for the fun of it -- it keeps me from getting bored and builds brain cells as I get older.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 AM

8,969 posts, read 20,399,679 times
In 2004, while working as a Materials Coordinator (Purchasing/Inventory), I took a couple of online classes in Purchasing/Inventory......sort of to help out my education since I dropped out of a Junior College back in the 70's. After leaving that job as a Materials Coordinator, I put both of those online classes on my resume and took another online class in Distribution & Warehouse Management. Put that on my resume as well, BUT was finding out that not a single company that I had a phone interview with, mentioned these classes! I'd take a couple of more online classes related to my career, but my wife told me that it would be a waste of money/time for me. "They haven't said a word about the online ones you've already taken, so why take anymore". "Besides that, once they find out your age, you won't hear back from them anyway."
I'm not really the "higher education" type, but I really wish, especially now with so many companies asking for a Degree, that I would have stayed and got at least an AA!
Oh well, kick back, relax, be glad that I'll be getting my SS (Early Retirement) each month and try to get a simple part-time job.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,743,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
That seems like an elistist attitude. Some jobs don't require a four year degree but having an AA will get someone in the door to a job. If you needed some bookkeeping done and you didn't want to pay the higher salary of an accountant with a bachelor's degree would you hire someone with an AA in accounting or someone with no experience? I had a friend who took a bookkeeping job without the education and didn't last long.

I love community colleges because they enable many people to experience higher education who are financially unable to go to a four year college or they might be intimated. I started at a community college and when I realized I wasn't as dumb as my high school counselors made me out to be, I went on to a four year college, all after I turned 50. I have a BA and now I'm going for an AA in Accounting/Business Management. I'm hoping to supplement retirement income with part-time work. Who knows, maybe I'll continue on for another AA degree or two (or higher if I can figure out how not to go into more school loans) just for the fun of it -- it keeps me from getting bored and builds brain cells as I get older.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound elitist, just realistic. I also see that an 2-year degree is referred to as an AA. Okay.

I also think Community Colleges are wonderful. Many of our university graduates here in Canada go and do various CC programs to prepare themselves with specific vocational training. That doesn't change the fundamental difference between a BA degree from a university and an AA degree, or CC diploma. A BA is not about marketable skills, but life experiences that will prepare you for many different careers and further educational experiences. I also agree that its currency is quite low right now, since there are so many fresh BA grads who are un- or under-employed.

I agree that everybody should get as much education as they can, of any kind.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,257,539 times
Smile Part time jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
In 2004, while working as a Materials Coordinator (Purchasing/Inventory), I took a couple of online classes in Purchasing/Inventory......sort of to help out my education since I dropped out of a Junior College back in the 70's. After leaving that job as a Materials Coordinator, I put both of those online classes on my resume and took another online class in Distribution & Warehouse Management. Put that on my resume as well, BUT was finding out that not a single company that I had a phone interview with, mentioned these classes! I'd take a couple of more online classes related to my career, but my wife told me that it would be a waste of money/time for me. "They haven't said a word about the online ones you've already taken, so why take anymore". "Besides that, once they find out your age, you won't hear back from them anyway."
I'm not really the "higher education" type, but I really wish, especially now with so many companies asking for a Degree, that I would have stayed and got at least an AA!
Oh well, kick back, relax, be glad that I'll be getting my SS (Early Retirement) each month and try to get a simple part-time job.
Since you are in boating, why don't you look for a marina type job? Something on the pier? We have fishing boats that go out here - help on one of those.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:51 PM
ifa ifa started this thread

294 posts, read 446,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I personally think it has to do with your world view. If you are basically a one-dimensional, materialistic person who just works, watches TV and gets up and does it again, then having a lot of free time is going to be the kiss of death.

If you are a thoughtful, creative person, then the sky is the limit. You will have lists of things to do, places to go . . . people to meet . . . travels, books to read, volunteering, pursuing a hobby, going to the beach . . . enjoying life. Some people have been conditioned to not enjoy life by being too passive (TV people).

Status quo = no imagination.
So I wonder if this is caused by watching TV, or if this kind of person naturally tends to watch a lot of TV. And I wonder if it is actually a kind of person (materialistic, one-dimensional), or a state of mind that anyone could get into.

I think I consciously told myself not to become a TV addict, so I didn't. If I had been married to someone who watched TV a lot, maybe I would have done the same, just to keep him company. I don't know.

I'm glad I decided that a life spent watching other people do things on TV is not really a life.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:37 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,654,967 times
Retirement is sure different for everyone. I retired early to take care of my mother who was ill. My dad now is doing great, going on 91. I've spent a lot of time watching grand daughters which has been such a joy. (we have five grand daughters and one on the way) But I walk with friend, am active in church, run a B&B, read a lot, and on the board of a Women's Care Center and ride a Honda Silverwing. Plus I ran my first 5k this February. I have no problem filling my time at all.
My husband on the other hand didn't have any hobbies. When he retired he got three part time jobs and I honestly think he spends more time working now than before...but that is his choice. If anything we have grown apart since I want to go and do and he wants to veg...but you have to do what you decide makes you happy and fullfilled I guess.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,761 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
T...
I love community colleges because they enable many people to experience higher education who are financially unable to go to a four year college or they might be intimated. I started at a community college ... I went on to a four year college, all after I turned 50. ... if I can figure out how not to go into more school loans) just for the fun of it -- it keeps me from getting bored and builds brain cells as I get older.
Congrats and reps to you (if I could give you more). I did 'college-again' after age 50 and just completed a masters program. I love getting 'carded' when asking for student discount for concerts (I bought season passes to my favorite venues and some I wanted to learn more about.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifa View Post
So I wonder if this is caused by watching TV, or if this kind of person naturally tends to watch a lot of TV. ...
I'm glad I decided that a life spent watching other people do things on TV is not really a life.
I must admit... TV trivia is NOT in my expertise I started working evening shift when I was age 15.... I remember Hogan's Heros, McHale's Navy, and Gilligan's Island ... That is as far as I got in 'TV land' (I did school or other jobs during the day, so missed Soaps too

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Retirement is sure different for everyone. .... I have no problem filling my time at all.
My husband on the other hand didn't have any hobbies. ...he got three part time jobs and I honestly think he spends more time working now than before...but that is his choice. If anything we have grown apart since I want to go and do and he wants to veg...but you have to do what you decide makes you happy and fullfilled I guess.
No need guessing, you might need to get yourself set up to travel independently or with a friend. I will bet..., DH is happy with working, so let him work and get on with your desired agenda. (while you have health and desire) (We) take lots of separate vacations, and lots of short trips together (one partner working part-time, one liking to travel, one liking beach, one liking prairie ... Have a nice small 20 mpg motorhome that either or both can use, + extensive use of $10 / night guest homes (which btw are VERY safe and fun ways to travel as a single person)

One of us will often 'fly' to meet up for a 4 day weekend with the traveling partner. Especially when relocating MH between 'destinations'. Plan to do the whole USA this way. When MH is in a region that is of particular interest to one of us, the other flies home and feeds the dog / mows the grass. (12 acres...) Gotta love Southwest airlines, can change flights for free, book one-way for no fee, and BAGS FLY FREE !!! (even tho I'm a million miler on UA)

Bored in Retirement... not a chance!!

My farmer grandfather farmed till age 93, Dad worked past age 80 (tho disabled), Mom rebuilt / remodeled 6 houses AFTER she retired @ age 68.
My dad

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-18-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,080,669 times
A lot of this is so influenced by our life style. We could never survive with paper checks. We aren't at the same address often enough especially in warm weather. At one place we have an outdoor rural type mail box. We do electronic banking etc with fixed payments scheduled on an ongoing basis etc etc. For others a check is probably more in keeping with their life style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement