Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 PM

5,332 posts, read 6,032,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I like the sound of kids playing outside happily chattering and singing as they jump on their trampoline
Welcome back, Dancingearth. I, too, like to hear children playing, shrieks and all! And although one of my dogs immediately starts barking when he hears the bouncing of a basketball, I have to admit I enjoy the very distinct sound of a bouncing basketball. However, I also miss the peaceful quiet found only in the countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,408,289 times
Default Invest in a pair of Hearos

I work at home much of the time. Sirens, birds, and bass music from cars are the biggest culprits. These sounds are eliminated with a good set of ear plugs. Hearos are best IMO. They do the job.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,216,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I work at home much of the time. Sirens, birds, and bass music from cars are the biggest culprits. These sounds are eliminated with a good set of ear plugs. Hearos are best IMO. They do the job.
What a great way to have to live.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,404,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Welcome back, Dancingearth. I, too, like to hear children playing, shrieks and all! And although one of my dogs immediately starts barking when he hears the bouncing of a basketball, I have to admit I enjoy the very distinct sound of a bouncing basketball. However, I also miss the peaceful quiet found only in the countryside.
Thanks Lenora. I don't sit outside looking at the stars at this house because it's boomboombassboom from the cars driving by although I appreciate that I can still see stars even though I now live in a city. Well, normally I can. We're getting the smoke from the AZ fire now and it's hazy.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,761 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
...These sounds are eliminated with a good set of ear plugs. Hearos are best IMO. They do the job.
most earplugs I know of DO NOT block voice frequencies, I will have to try Hearos, but their website is too loud and too much video (I'm stuck on 'pay-by-the-byte' dialup, live in the boonies).

I do covet a set of earplugs that block voice frequencies, as well as electric guitars and drums. Then I could go back to church :

Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 AM

801 posts, read 2,214,252 times
An interesting thread...and, as one would expect, there is a wide range of response. For me, I have always had excellent hearing and still do. In my first job, many years ago, the electronics staff depended on me to tell them when I could hear high-pitched whines (that no one else could hear) coming from certain equipment, because they knew they needed to repair the equipment or order a new fan motor.

Some of us are bothered by frequencies that others find soothing or don't even notice. I don't mind the steady drone of a lawn mower (as long as it doesn't go on too long), but the sharp, piercing bark of a dog drives me nuts. Years ago, I lived close enough to railroad tracks so that train whistles would sometimes wake me in the middle of the night, yet I found it soothing and would drift right back to sleep. Perhaps it was my love of trains and memories of my grandfather who was an engineer for Illinois Central.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I certainly think the USA is noisier than it used to be. Twenty years ago, booming car stereos didn't exist. There were loud car stereos, but young people didn't remove the rear seat of cars and install huge subwoofers the way they do now. A couple of years ago, I was walking across a shopping center parking lot when a young man cranked his old car and the booming stereo simultaneously came on. His rear bumper fell off. He began to drive away and I waved him down and told him he was leaving his bumper behind. I don't know why, but I asked him why he felt the need to take the rear seat out of his car and install a huge subwoofer. "It makes me a man," he informed me, adding, "Besides, it bothers the hell out of old people."

It's become nearly impossible to find a quiet restaurant. Numerous people are hollering into their cell phones, all competing for air space. That was something that didn't exist a generation ago. People wonder around in stores with cell phones or a blue tooth attached to their heads...talking away as they walk by. Sometimes one will walk by just as they start a conversation. They look up and say "Hey, how's it going?" I respond...only to have them turn away just at the time I see they are talking to someone through their blue tooth.

I don't know about other cities, but where I live, it has become the norm to have 1-2 dogs in the yard to bark at will while people are off at work. Perhaps it has to do with an attempt to ward off the burglars...I'm not sure. I used to get breaks from barking dogs by taking the camper into national forest campgrounds. Now...many people take 1-2 dogs camping with them.

So...to me...it's noisy out there. Every time I read one of "Forest Beekeeper's" posts, it makes me want to get up and move. I'd love to have a house in the middle of a few hundred acres. But...my wife doesn't seem to be bothered by any of this and has no intention of leaving all the conveniences behind.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:45 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,698,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Replacing my windows and adding insulation made a huge difference in the noise level.

I kind of like the noise. People are around and life is being lived.
Yep, this ,and ear plugs when the neighbor has his leaf blower out, worked for us.

I will give the neighbor some credit for buying a smaller quieter blower to use in place of that monster mother he was using!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:31 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,254,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
An interesting thread...and, as one would expect, there is a wide range of response. For me, I have always had excellent hearing and still do. In my first job, many years ago, the electronics staff depended on me to tell them when I could hear high-pitched whines (that no one else could hear) coming from certain equipment, because they knew they needed to repair the equipment or order a new fan motor.

Some of us are bothered by frequencies that others find soothing or don't even notice. I don't mind the steady drone of a lawn mower (as long as it doesn't go on too long), but the sharp, piercing bark of a dog drives me nuts. Years ago, I lived close enough to railroad tracks so that train whistles would sometimes wake me in the middle of the night, yet I found it soothing and would drift right back to sleep. Perhaps it was my love of trains and memories of my grandfather who was an engineer for Illinois Central.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I certainly think the USA is noisier than it used to be. Twenty years ago, booming car stereos didn't exist. There were loud car stereos, but young people didn't remove the rear seat of cars and install huge subwoofers the way they do now. A couple of years ago, I was walking across a shopping center parking lot when a young man cranked his old car and the booming stereo simultaneously came on. His rear bumper fell off. He began to drive away and I waved him down and told him he was leaving his bumper behind. I don't know why, but I asked him why he felt the need to take the rear seat out of his car and install a huge subwoofer. "It makes me a man," he informed me, adding, "Besides, it bothers the hell out of old people."

It's become nearly impossible to find a quiet restaurant. Numerous people are hollering into their cell phones, all competing for air space. That was something that didn't exist a generation ago. People wonder around in stores with cell phones or a blue tooth attached to their heads...talking away as they walk by. Sometimes one will walk by just as they start a conversation. They look up and say "Hey, how's it going?" I respond...only to have them turn away just at the time I see they are talking to someone through their blue tooth.

I don't know about other cities, but where I live, it has become the norm to have 1-2 dogs in the yard to bark at will while people are off at work. Perhaps it has to do with an attempt to ward off the burglars...I'm not sure. I used to get breaks from barking dogs by taking the camper into national forest campgrounds. Now...many people take 1-2 dogs camping with them.

So...to me...it's noisy out there. Every time I read one of "Forest Beekeeper's" posts, it makes me want to get up and move. I'd love to have a house in the middle of a few hundred acres. But...my wife doesn't seem to be bothered by any of this and has no intention of leaving all the conveniences behind.
I'd say rising crime has sparked doggie adoptions. There's a county dog park nearby now also.
Im happy to report the neighbors behind us tweaked down the boom boom bass so we cant even hear it. Except for occasional doggie barks it's pretty nice here. At least until the 92 yr old man next to us passes on and the house changes hands and some whacko moves in with eight Rottweilers...

Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 6,628 times
I am in Aquaboy's situation not really retired but close to it. We left what we thought was going to be our "retirement home" when two twenty somethings bought the foreclosed house next to us in a very nice old neighborhood. After three years of torture, chain saws at 3 am, beer blasts with 50 people 30 feet from our bedroom windows till 3 am. Diesel trucks with LOUD exhausts idling for hours for no reason, cussing yelling shouting at all hours, public urination, and defalcation, driving in our yard as close to a foot or less from our house. We got lucky and was able to sell the house at a loss, and bought in a +55 community and was told the only noise we would hear here in the chirping of birds and these breeze through the tree's. Just be careful what people promise you today when they are trying to SELL Something !!! We don't get woke up at night anymore but the daylight hours with one neighbor who has a dog that barks at the wind and still thinks he is 16 and like to play with cars is a challenge. Makes reading and concentrating on hobbies difficult.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
Yes noise bothers me and I am very angry.

I live on a poverty-level income and all I can afford is a crappy room in a crappy, small, older, crowded house with four others. There is ONE claustrophobic bathroom and a claustrophobic kitchen.

Every bedroom is either next to, directly above, or directly below the living room. The person from whom I rent has the entire upstairs but spends all day parking his carcass on the living room couch and watching mindless broadcast TV or yakking with all his friends who come over. (He drinks like a fish and smokes like a chimney, and since it's a bad idea to drive while sloshed, he doesn't get out much...his idea of getting out of the house is a booze/smokes run. And then there's the added "benefit" of listening to cough cough cough hack retch belch woof woof woof yell yell yell yelling at the barking dog to ****.) Would be nice if he got a job and got out of the house but he'd rather drink all day while his friends come over to entertain him and he sublets rooms to pay his rent.

There is literally nowhere in the house where the noise can be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement