Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleybell00 View Post
I have been scouring the internet and can't find any good info on this. My grandmother is 91 and has been living with my mom for 6 years. She refused to allow her house to be sold, but her dementia is so severe she needs to be placed in a facility that specializes in dementia. Can she be placed in this type of facility without selling her house? My parents plan on putting it on the market, but the market is terrible right now! I'm in FL if the laws are state specific... Any help is greatly appreciated!
The people at Florida Elder Care were terrific- call them and they will send someone to do a visit then write a report giving you the options. I was trying to take care of things in Florida from Arizona. Just hope there are no cuts to Medicaid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times
It is worth the money to talk to the best attorney for the elderly in your area before doing anything.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
PLEASE talk to an elder-care attorney in Florida (is that where your grandmother lives?). There is a LOT of mis-information on this page, and Florida has some very state-specific homestead laws that are very different from most other states. There are also different rules for people transferring from hospitals vs. coming from home, and we don't know what your grandmother's financial situation is. I just went through this process for my own mother, who lives in Florida. She went into assisted-living, not a nursing home, so I won't go into details about her situation since it might be different from your grandmother's.

I was referred to the Florida Department of Elder Affairs and I can't say enough about their help and responsiveness. I also give the same kudos to the VA in Bradenton, who helped me with all of the paperwork involved in applying for VA assistance. In today's world of bureaucracy, impersonal service, voicemail menus, and customer service agents who barely speak English, the service I received from these two agencies was truly amazing. But the first step was talking to a local Florida attorney who's an expert in elder-law and estate planning.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Elder care attorney? I didn't even know there was such a thing. What has happened to this country?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:18 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
.....and my dad is the beneficiary of her estate
Is he on the deed to the house?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,439 times
Stop! Before you take any action, get advice from someone in FL who knows the law, such as the Dept of Elder Affairs. There's some misinformation on this CD thread that could be costly.

I've never been involved in Medicaid personally but I believe there is a five-year lookback period for transfer of assets. Be careful or your actions, even with the best of intentions, may disqualify your grandmother.

Also, some nursing homes won't accept people who are already on Medicaid (but will not kick them out if they go on the assistance after moving in).

Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Is he on the deed to the house?
I assume she meant executor rather than beneficiary. It sounds like the mom and the aunt are the beneficiaries:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybell00
Anything she has after she dies will be divided between my mom and my aunt.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
But beware if you do decide on the medicaid route, the homes are a terrible. A prison would be a few steps up.
This is an unfair and largely false statement. It's true there are some nursing homes, primarily in larger cities, that cater specifically to Title IX residents that provide no more than the absolute minimum level of care, and even at that they cut a lot of corners.

But in many areas, particularly rural areas, nursing homes accept both Title IX and out of pocket residents and provide excellent care to both.

Regardless of how the bill will be paid you should always thoroughly research the facility that will be caring for your loved ones.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Definitely see an Elder Care attorney. The laws in regard to this situation can be extremely stringent. You will have to account for all $$ spent or gifted by her in the last five years, and some of those costs would have to be repaid towards nursing care. House would be considered her asset and need to be sold to pay for care. Once all her assets are used up, including $$ from home sale, Medicad kicks in.

A side note, a little too late for this situation, is to consider putting your home in trust now, before problems happen.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
This is an unfair and largely false statement. It's true there are some nursing homes, primarily in larger cities, that cater specifically to Title IX residents that provide no more than the absolute minimum level of care, and even at that they cut a lot of corners.
Maybe in the backwoods of Indiana they are at the basic level of a private nursing care home, but on the I95 corridor of states they are crapholes. I've seen them in NY, VA, NC, SC & FL. I've also seen the VA homes also and they are in deplorable condition.

Quote:
But in many areas ... nursing homes accept both Title IX and out of pocket residents and provide excellent care to both.
This is fantasy and wishful thinking for medicaid clients.

Quote:
Regardless of how the bill will be paid you should always thoroughly research the facility that will be caring for your loved ones.
If there are no personal funds to pay for a nursing home, then you do not have the choice of where to go. Each place has a waiting list and wherever the opening is, that where she will be placed. Depending on how bad the Dimentia is, then a board will decide the priority of where she waits on the list.

Quote:
Definitely see an Elder Care attorney.
See an Elder Care representative as they will give you options. Another option is a visiting nurse that will spend eight hours a day with her. paid by medicaid, so the caregiver can get a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement